One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well it's not just the figure, it's the whole thing, it's a figure plus office diorama. So everything there is included in the price. Excessive yes, but everything was apparently "built/sculpted" by "hand". But if I do say so myself, the head looks like a bad rendition of David Duchovny. Anyway, talk away about this incredibly strange thing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Minus the headsculpt which was not anything like Indy, i must say the rest of diorama / office is awesome!! But not awesome enough to justify the price..

·
Registered
936 Posts
:thumb
I seed it time ago , tomorrow morning buy , in the morning :rolling

·
Registered
220 Posts
I saw this a week or two ago... looks like someone did buy one! Ouch!

really nice, but also way overpriced for what you get. The head looks an awful lot like the Dragon "Ford" headsculpt to me, and not much like Indy. Many of the trinkets and items shown are easily obtained from craft stores for under $5, or less. You're mostly paying the price for the figure, the furniture, and the documents.
This customizer makes these year round, so don't let the "ONE OF A KIND" stamp make you go into "panic mode"- he'll make another office next week.

He also makes neat Indy Diary sets from Raiders, Temple, and Crusade as well. However, interesting that now with the new film, these have gone up from $25-50 in january to around $150 in may.

I was planning on getting one of these sets, specifically the Grail Diary set, and then BAM! They began having reserves and doubled/tripled in price.

so BAM! I bought this set instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sid=m37&satitle=200224002865&category0=&fvi=1

...A much lower price, but you don't get as much. Like no artifacts or replacement whips. Which is OK by me. In this case, it looks like both used materials from 1:1 grail diaries to make their 1:6 versions. Service was a little slow, but then again, it is 1/2 the BIN price of the others. And, it's a very nice set.

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
It's a great set---but you could own Toys McCoy Indy + the Horse for that much...

Not to mention the hair color isn't even right...

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
This artist is not just charging for parts but also for their labor and their skills as a crafts person and scavenger of hard to find items and nick nacks - They invested a lot of their time and energy into making a really well done set.

I don't think it's unreasonable within our hobby. I'm not in the hobby to make money but there are lots of us that are. There are amazing 1:6 tanks out there for $400 - $600, you have to build it yourself and you will need skills (or pay double and have it finished for you). I've recently seen a 1:6 Scope Dog with rumors of a 2k price tag. The Appleseed figures togeather are almost $350. The there is Bertie the Pipe Bot rumored to be between $500 and $800 All of the above items are produced in quantity of cast or molded plastics. This set is made from wood and comes to you finished - all you have to do is set the various pieces in their places. It was said that a lot of the items could be found in a craft store - I'm sure they can, but what craft store and who is going to do the leg work?

I would not part with $1560 for this set. It would be irresponsible of me to spend that kind of cash on a single 12" actionfigure and play-set no mater how cool. Also, I have the skills to create this if I really really wanted to put out the effort.

Capitalizing on a movie franchises highly anticipated newest release? So what. I was in the Star Wars community for a long time; 1:1 ABS plastic Storm Trooper armor went from $500 - 2K over night (and you still had to assemble it yourself and it helps if you have basic modeling skills).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think all the stuff that you guys buy is ridiculous and overpriced. That translates to me as also thinking you have no sense of value or skills at modelling.

Of course, that's not really true. But, that split-second pang you may have felt at reading my opening words is what the buyer(s) of this item could no doubt feel as well if they read your all's comments. .

Judging others' collecting pursuits and expenditures by your own standards is pretty lame.

Somebody's going to buy this because they like it. Same reason we all pay more than what those less interested would.

I'd probably laugh my asphalt off at the prices some of you have been happy to pay for doll parts. I mean, you guys probably still buy clothes for your dolls. That's a waste of money. Why not make them? :angel

Why not just let this individual pursue their right in a free market and not try and trash that right by possibly influencing potential buyers here. Nobody pees in your wheaties when you're trying to eat breakfast. Nobody's holding a gun to anybody's head to buy this, either.

I also don't pay much mind to folks who always judge other's stuff but never show their own grand efforts.

·
S o u l
150 Posts
I think all the stuff that you guys buy is ridiculous and overpriced. That translates to me as also thinking you have no sense of value or skills at modelling.

Of course, that's not really true. But, that split-second pang you may have felt at reading my opening words is what the buyer(s) of this item could no doubt feel as well if they read your all's comments. .

Judging others' collecting pursuits and expenditures by your own standards is pretty lame.

Somebody's going to buy this because they like it. Same reason we all pay more than what those less interested would.

I'd probably laugh my asphalt off at the prices some of you have been happy to pay for doll parts. I mean, you guys probably still buy clothes for your dolls. That's a waste of money. Why not make them? :angel

Why not just let this individual pursue their right in a free market and not try and trash that right by possibly influencing potential buyers here. Nobody pees in your wheaties when you're trying to eat breakfast. Nobody's holding a gun to anybody's head to buy this, either.

I also don't pay much mind to folks who always judge other's stuff but never show their own grand efforts.
I agree.....and in this case, I believe that the Indy Diorama is worth every penny to the right person(it took some time, material and labor to construct it), but I have to admit there have been times where I have seen items on eBay that have made me fall right out of my chair. There is a fine line between ART and INSULT....If someone does a very simple kitbash and wants $200 that's OK(to a "busy" person who does not have the time to do it, $200 is fine) but if they want $10,000 that's insulting to everyone who could do the same. The exception being, only if the kitbash was done by someone famous then maybe $10,000 might be worth it.

That's how I rationalize it(IMHO) :)

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
I think you've gotta' remember that it's a discussion---not a downright beating.

And I agree, hell, charge what you want. It doesn't mean you'll get it. But it's very safe to say that for a majority of collectors, this is priced waayyy too high.

Oh--and he's charging $70 shipping sooooo....

But that doesn't go to discredit his craftsmanship. As I said---------very cool set!

:thumb

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
LG2,

I understand not wanting to hurt someone's feelings, but... We the people are sharing our opinions of something we've found in a public market. The artist has put his work up in front of the world wide web and put a high price tag on it, if they did not want their work discussed openly on this forum and others... Maybe they should not have put it up for sale.

If the artist posted this amazing dio here on these boards we would all be agog, amazed and stunned and would heap the person with kudos and accolades. That's not the case, it's up for sale on e-bay for a lot of money.

Our criticism may influence potential buyers? Why is that bad? If the potential buyer actually comes to this site to look for opinions before dropping a fat chunk of change - Good for them. Now if the buyer happens to have $1560 in disposable income and they are ready to buy this I'm sure they couldn't give a flying fart what we think (I know I wouldn't). If the potential buyers are already on this site and reading others opinions has them re-thinking the value of their potential purchase - How is that bad? I've been close to dropping large amounts of money on items in this hobby. By discussing with others and looking for info on what I wanted I was able to save myself some regret down the road.

Critiques and criticism are part of this hobby. At least most of us ask for it when posting our bashes and WIPs.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.