One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
No more Pancake face
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a novel idea earlier. How awesome would it be if Monkey Depot or Black Ops toys did a loot box subscription service for loose part? Loot boxes are all the rage right now for anything from food to those dreadful Pop Vinyl figures and I think loose parts would be a perfect fit. What do you guys think?

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,893 Posts
There is a 1:6 loot box service (last I checked), but it's for non-military 1:6 scale accessories. It's mostly for civilian/niche 1:6 decor.

·
Life is tough then u die
966 Posts
How in depth are we talking loose parts wise? Just weapons and kit for them or full blown parts to build custom figures? Seeing how the prices for loose parts just keeps rising I can only imagine the costs.

Now that doesn't mean that is not a good idea or that I and others wouldn't partake, just something to think about.

·
No more Pancake face
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure for around $50 they could stuff a box with a decent assortment.

·
12,893 Posts
The idea is interesting, but when it comes to 1:6 military items for a loot box, the value for the money, quality, and variety works against it.

Loot boxes generally speaking works based on volume of lower denominator items acquired in bulk through special pricing/sourcing and priced and marketed where the end user/buyer buys into the marketing/notion they're getting a great deal/value for the money.

However, many of the items are cheap. They're not too bad, but it's mostly fillers so to speak. Some are quite good.

Given how 1:6 collectors like ourselves are very discriminating in terms of what we want for 1:6 and the pricing factor, I doubt it'll work let alone anyone contemplating it as a sound business idea because if such an offering was done the obvious criticism would be the quality, selection, and ultimately value for the money.

The 1:6 loot box I mentioned previously are targeted for 1:6 collectors wanting diorama pieces, furniture, odds and ends. The production run of is very limited from what I read/recollect each month or bi-monthly numbering less than 20 sets a month and the price is usually is moderate. It caters to very specific niche as the contents for each 1:6 loot box is hand assembled/organized.

·
Registered
799 Posts
'Loot Box'?
Is that idea similar to the 'Grab Bags' we used to have from the '90s?
Those were great back then because they're cheap or simply given away as prizes or freebie extras.
Nowadays it could be tricky since 1:6 military parts are much more expensive.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
'Loot Box'?
Is that idea similar to the 'Grab Bags' we used to have from the '90s?
Those were great back then because they're cheap or simply given away as prizes or freebie extras.
Nowadays it could be tricky since 1:6 military parts are much more expensive.
They're basically monthly subscription boxes. For a monthly fee, they send a box with random stuff to your door.
With proper support, like from different manufacturers and sponsors, you could do up a different theme monthly (Modern, 'Nam, ancient historical, etc...) it could be pretty neat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like this idea. Do we have any members who work for the company’s who make the 1/6 figures and stuff??? If so maybe they could talk to the company about this.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Loot boxes are a great way for a retailer to get rid of junk. For the consumer the odds are generally not so good unless a brand has overstock runs they sell off cheap. In 1/6 the overstock products generally get sold to retailers for cheap who don't pass along those savings. I would just buy what you want unless you want to end up with all the spare bits people generally don't want.

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
687 Posts
I would design a loot box to have two-three items that are popular/useful and the rest consisting of filler items that are hard to sell. If the packs were priced appropriately, they would be worth buying.

·
12,893 Posts
Loot boxes are a great way for a retailer to get rid of junk. For the consumer the odds are generally not so good unless a brand has overstock runs they sell off cheap. In 1/6 the overstock products generally get sold to retailers for cheap who don't pass along those savings. I would just buy what you want unless you want to end up with all the spare bits people generally don't want.
--

Well said, but I believe some still insist that such an idea will work, but they're only the end user with no comprehension of the business/finance reasons that not make the idea viable in their limited view.

We're all better off buying what we truly want by shopping around for the best price, selection, and service.

I applaud the idea and question, but the business reality works against it.

·
12,893 Posts
Hey DFC, what's the name of the place you're referring too. Civilian/niche 1:6 decor could totally be my kinda loot box .
--

I can't remember. I found them on Facebook and thought about joining, but the number of sets available each month is very limited less than a dozen, etc.

I'll check. If I find/remember them, I'll send it to you by OSW PM.

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
i like the idea, but it sounds costly. the main issue i have these days with accessories, is the selection or lack of selection. too many military items, never enough everyday stuff like tablets/books/laptops etc. also we barely have any bags, only a few handbags, namely by superduck were made, and we dont have 1/6th resuables, or why cant we get a 1/6th metal drinking container? anyway, the idea would be best as a line of new civvie everyday items i think, and perhaps produced by a known brand like FGC,or SD. as for military stuff, i would support the idea, but only if we get hard to get or easy to lose (small) goodies, like caribiners, or glowsticks, or even watches/compasses.

·
12,893 Posts
That reminds me.

Whatever happened to the idea of starting up another traveling 1:6 trade box or is everyone pretty much jaded at this point to ever consider doing such a thing again?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have good contacts with both manufacturers and wholesalers.
What would be best is if we had distributors in Europe and the US.
I would be happy to work with other embers on setting this up. I even have a good selection of military stock to get things started.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would be happy to work with other members on setting this up. I even have a good selection of military stock to get things started.

·
12,893 Posts
I would be happy to work with other embers on setting this up. I even have a good selection of military stock to get things started.
--

What would be the number of 1:6 loot boxes available/produced in for a month?

What is the design/quality of the 1:6 items?

What would be the approximate cost?

How many subscribers would it need to justify a monthly/bi-monthly 1:6 loot box?

Which 1:6 brands do you have contacts with that would sign-on with such an endeavor?

Are you prepared to organize this as a legitimate business endeavor?

Are you contemplating approaching this in a kickstarter type manner?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts