One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these 2 Medicom Gatchaman figure set from Ebay a while back. I have the original Japanese ones also, but these are a little different.
I guess these are cheaper US release version.
Since they are old models, they have some issues such as limited knee/ankle/ wrist articulation. Face sculpt issues with limited neck/head articulation.
I always wanted to give them some upgrades.
Current plan is

• G-1 Battle suit & Casual
  • G-2 Battle suit & Casual
  • G-3 Battle suit & Casual (and her Bike if time allows:knock)

First upgrade point was to give them better bodies. I swap the G-1 body with HT slim body, and G-2 body with Bruce Lee body. Changing the body wasn't a huge problem.

Second upgrade point was to improve knee/ankle joints. I used the BW suit underneath and made some simple design to cut the boots.

3rd upgrade point is his face/head and neck joint.
Made his face a little thinner. made him more serious looking. Also cut out his neck and put in socket for neck ball joint - fixed it with epoxy putty.

This is WIP version of G-2 Jason. He's already gone through neck/leg process as experiment.

On his left is his casual version (WIP - need some work on his shirts)

Testing his knee/ankle joint. Also his one-piece hand is cut out from gloves and added joint inside. Also made hime alternate fist hands.
You can see the socket under his head. His face also got thinner and repainted.
You can also see the Chief Anderson (Also WIP) in the back :D

I guess the experiment was successful. I can pose him much better now.

To be continued...!

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
I really like what you did with the mods. If ever a set of figures needed a facelift, it's those. Really well done and nicely thought out. I have to admit, I'd have dumped those sculpts but you did a good job improving them.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for checking and leaving nice comments!
I really like what you did with the mods. If ever a set of figures needed a facelift, it's those. Really well done and nicely thought out. I have to admit, I'd have dumped those sculpts but you did a good job improving them.
I was thinking about making a new sculpt as well. Sadly, my sculpting tools are still in storage currently, so that will have to wait until my next move..

Oh wow...now all you need is a custom cape from Tony Mei ! :p
I might as well upgrade and make a custom cape for them. Thinking about putting wires inside and make them poseable.

Oh Hell YES.

I have these Medicom BotP Jason & Mark and hate the rigid boots and gloves.
What an awesome idea.

Have an Action Man F1 car I am slowly converting to Jason's Car.
That sounds Great!! You should post progress with pics!
Nice but the guy with the blue cape on needs to have his neck shortened looks a bit too long
I guess I didn't push in his head all the way when I took that photo. The other pics with helmet on didn't have that neck issue.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next step is making 'real type' heads by making resin copies + some modification.
I'm using Takeshi Kaneshiro (Onimusha) for G-1, Kumik's Manji for G-2. Also using Gary Oldman (Gordon) for Chief Anderson.

Next, I'm swapping Takara's Cool Girl version of G-3 body with Phicen stainless-Steel version. The biggest problem is, again, her feet/boots.
I disassembled the feet and cut-out the feet to fit Phicen feet inside the boots.
This gives her joint-free look and better body proportion as well as much improved pose-ability.

With new body, she can pose like original Anime! Some test shots.

-To be continued~

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,972 Posts
This is getting interesting.

I can't wait to see how you're going to work on Jinpei and Ryu.

BTW . . . you're also working on 1:6 version of The God Phoenix and the respective vehicles for each team member right?

;)

Seriously . . . are you planning on making a 1:6 version of Berg Kattse in both forms (male and female)?

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
That's some damn fine re-engineering going on there.

Excellent.

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,307 Posts
One of my favorite animes of all time.

Matter a fact, this is one of the few that got me addicted to anime.

Great work one your Birds. Can't wait to see what you did to Princess Jun. Have you found a figure for Peepsqueak?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After 3 years, I'm back to this custom!
Now I gotta finish this with something special.
This will be my (one of my) ultimate dream custom build and will take long time.
But I have to try it now that I got 3D printer. I gotta get the most out of it!

As always starting with 3D modeling. checking size and making sure my custom Takata G-3 can ride on it :D

Because my 3D printer is tiny and the bike is big, I have to cut it into many pieces and print many many parts..

3d printing is really slow. It prints (0.03-0.05mm at a time + 1sec cure time + 3-4 sec Z-axis up/down) X height of the build. 1 block will take roughly 5-8 hours + cleaning + curing.
It will also use lots of resin. Probably 2-3 500ml bottles
Will see how it goes as I start printing this weekend

I also need to finish 3 year old WIP custom G-1, G-2, G3 in between prints.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts