One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK here goes the comparison. I picked 6 different M9s, from 5 different manufacturers, and took the pics. These are from what most would say are the 'cream-of-the-crop' manufacturers. These are the ones that have moving bits. Forgive me if I missed any.

In the pictures of 6 together we have, from L to R, then going down, 1) Hot Toys, 2) Soldier Story, 3) ACE, 4) BBI G3, 5) Dragon G2, 6) BBI G2. The singles are of Dragon, Hot Toys, ACE, Soldier Story, BBI G3, BBI G2, in that order of comparison.

I'll state my favorite, then talk about the rest. I like the Dragon best, followed by the BBI G3/Soldier Story.

Dragon; The slide is snug with no gaps for the light to pass through. It's the only one with a working hammer. The magazine is the widest, which makes more sense since it has a 15 round mag. Paint is good and details are nice. My only gripe? The top of the mag seems narrow and the bullets look small. Could use some weathering and drybrushing metalics. I broke one once and in the process of repairing it found that it looks almost like the real thing when stripped, so I left it apart. Mind that hammer, it breaks easily, and has to be moved all the way back before pulling the slide back, or it gets caught up in the slide. I have a bunch of these and only one has a gap between the frame and slide.

Hot Toys; both of my specimens were the same :( When the slide was pulled back the guide rod bent and the whole slide shifted up. There were gaps between the slide and frame. It had a hole in the Right side of the slide by the safety, on both specimens (something missing here?) Nice small detailing, and the only one I have that has the lanyard. If you keep it in the holster it looks great. Good weathering. been used 'outside'.

ACE; not good at all. The fine details are nice, but that's it. Lots of molding flash. Big gap in the frame and slide, and even worse when the slide is pulled back. Slide comes off easily when it is removed from a holster. No weathering, typical of all ACE weapons. ACE is the only one with a visible MIL Spec number in the detail on the grip, that's kinda cool. Also has the thinnest trigger guard, which looks more natural to my eyes. All my ACE M9s are the same, and I have about 10.

Soldier Story; Newest of the bunch. Almost a direct copy of the BBI G2. The fine details are different though. Heavy weathering. Only a slight gap between the frame and the slide most noticable when the slide is back. Small hammer and a big gap at the back of the slide. The hammer doesn't move.

BBI G3; Nice detailing and only a slight gap between the frame and slide. No weathering. Basically the same as Soldier story, except in detailing.

BBI G2; No moving Slide = no gaps. Mag can still be removed. Die cast. No weathering and OK detailing. If you rub the metal with super fine sand paper (autobody wet/dry 800 or more), the metal peeks through and gives it a nice look. Unfortunately any other raised parts will have the same thing happen, so dry brushing is the way to go. Heavier than the others, so weak arm joints will sag with this one.

Check out the checkering on the grips, and the positioning of the 'Medalion' in the middle of the grip. They are all different, and in different positions

I left out the BBI G1, die cast and solid. Dragon G1 is all plastic and solid, but you can get a chrome model of this one. Toys Soldier is a 1/6 paperweight, all die cast and lacking detail. I got rid of all my TS M9s, they're crap.

They all have something good to offer (of the ones reveiwed), but the Dragon seems to have the most, for me that is. Since most pistols seem to be stuck in the holsters, a lot of this may be a moot point. I like to display my weapons though, and am a certifiable detail freak, so it should look good if it's going to be out.

If I have missed any feel free to add comments and pics. That's just my opinion,...... you decide for yourself

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hey, thanks for the comparison. Think I still like the ACE most. I can clean off molding flash and weathering easy. DML grip do have more detail. But trigger guard is way to heavy. Too toy like. If only DML mag can fit in the ACE I'll be very happy. You are right. TS M9's are TS M9's are crap.

·
Da revolution is here!
1,979 Posts
I agree with you..ACE and HT;s (And ESPECIALLY TS) ones are really lacking..My personal favorite though has always been the BBi G3. But I don't think I've tried a DML Version 2, so I may have to pick one up and see how it holds up. Thanks for the comparison!

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,325 Posts
Hey, thanks for the comparison. Think I still like the ACE most. I can clean off molding flash and weathering easy. DML grip do have more detail. But trigger guard is way to heavy. Too toy like. If only DML mag can fit in the ACE I'll be very happy. You are right. TS M9's are TS M9's are crap.
:lol Last time I said that TS weapons were crap, I got an earful.

I totally agree with Michael on this. The DML one is the best! But they only came with the alice pack 1 & 2 set. Or did they?

And what is up with HT? I mean the first batch of M9s were fine, but the later M9s they have had problems!!!

I think ACE are not bad, but they could use some weathering like Mike said.

And I agree with Good duck on the you know what and what company.:lol

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of these can be 'fixed'. You could probably even fix a TS M9 if you wanted to. These are the straight-out-of-the-box, as-is type pictures. When the flash and the gap in the ACE is fixed it makes a very eye appealing sample, just leave the mag in. The DML G2s came with the ALICE pack sets, Jason Sniper, Josh NBC, BHD Colonel Danny McKnight, and a few others as well. I have filed out a DML trigger guard and corrected the mag, and the DML looks fab. (I would post pics of my corrected ones, but my box with all my pistols is hiding on me. These were the ones that were laying around. Also the reason why I didn't post any other samples)

Hey as far as the TS comment, it's my opinion (even though it's shared by others), and I always think the individual should make their own decisions. See the last line of the review.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I personally prefer the DML G1 version. Working slide is a useless BS "feature" that doesn't add anything and always ends up looking wrong. I also like to use the BBI diecast ones in holsters, because the extra weight of the diecast pistol makes the holster hang nice.

HJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.