One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool I wish I had some African 1/6 women, got keir of the first sword of death but don't guess that really counts as she is grey but her hair style kinda reminds me of that. Really like that Sheva Alomar from RE5 as well. Cool thread though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The seller of the "Ebony" Jiaou bodies wrote back that there is a plan to have these made with the smaller size body molds, too.
I'm having a similar dilemma. I want to create a custom Uhura figure to stand alongside my QMX figures. I've used Xing bodies with ankle extenders for my other customs (to be about 5'6") but Uhura is short. I have a spare Windstorm body but she's quite broad shouldered compared to Xing. I don't need a seamless sculpt and might be able to add some height to the others with heels but it's hard to find height comparisons.

Options are Jiaou AA but I think they might be a bit tall or Triad. Are there any others? Did the plan to create smaller African bodies go anywhere?

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I'm having a similar dilemma. I want to create a custom Uhura figure to stand alongside my QMX figures. I've used Xing bodies with ankle extenders for my other customs (to be about 5'6") but Uhura is short. I have a spare Windstorm body but she's quite broad shouldered compared to Xing. I don't need a seamless sculpt and might be able to add some height to the others with heels but it's hard to find height comparisons.

Options are Jiaou AA but I think they might be a bit tall or Triad. Are there any others? Did the plan to create smaller African bodies go anywhere?
This is so very much the question -- not just the general question of AA bodies that this thread is about, but quite specifically, WHAT TO DO ABOUT UHURA? The otherwise terrific QMX line went dead after Kirk Spock McCoy Scotty Khan all some time ago, with the announced and pictured Sulu still in limbo as far as I know (haven't seen any in-hands). Even then, QMX veered into ST:TNG and it looks like if we got anything, it would be a detour into "Wrath of Khan." So TOS Chekov and Uhura are starting to look iffy. For Chekov only the headsculpt is a new part; but Uhura is a new headsculpt, new clothing, and a new design body (female), and in a color that isn't reusable for other top Trek characters. So QMX doing Uhura gets more unlikely by the minute while just about everybody who's been buying QMX Trek wants to complete the crew.

Pauln6a, you are not alone. Fortunately the Playmate 12" Uhura (not to be confused with their 9") was one of the better Playmates figures (so was Chekov) -- so, as long as QMX Sulu comes out, a QMX front row and two Playmates figures secondary at the back would make a decent enough complete crew. For the more ambitious I guess the Uhura recipe would be 1) something from the Playmates Uhura, starting probably with the sculpt; + 2) maybe some parts from the Mattel (Barbie) Uhura; + 3) a body probably from some of those mentioned above; + 4) a tricorder etc from the existing QMX figures. Not included in this thread re AA females are the Shuri versions (Hot Toys, Disney Store, and possibly there was a Mattel one) so maybe a HT Shuri body would suit Uhura. I think anybody's recommendations for a Uhura would be most welcome -- everyone who bought existing QMX Trek probably wants to make one.

Reactions: otaku72

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,782 Posts
This is so very much the question -- not just the general question of AA bodies that this thread is about, but quite specifically, WHAT TO DO ABOUT UHURA? The otherwise terrific QMX line went dead after Kirk Spock McCoy Scotty Khan all some time ago, with the announced and pictured Sulu still in limbo as far as I know (haven't seen any in-hands). Even then, QMX veered into ST:TNG and it looks like if we got anything, it would be a detour into "Wrath of Khan." So TOS Chekov and Uhura are starting to look iffy. For Chekov only the headsculpt is a new part; but Uhura is a new headsculpt, new clothing, and a new design body (female), and in a color that isn't reusable for other top Trek characters. So QMX doing Uhura gets more unlikely by the minute while just about everybody who's been buying QMX Trek wants to complete the crew.

Pauln6a, you are not alone. Fortunately the Playmate 12" Uhura (not to be confused with their 9") was one of the better Playmates figures (so was Chekov) -- so, as long as QMX Sulu comes out, a QMX front row and two Playmates figures secondary at the back would make a decent enough complete crew. For the more ambitious I guess the Uhura recipe would be 1) something from the Playmates Uhura, starting probably with the sculpt; + 2) maybe some parts from the Mattel (Barbie) Uhura; + 3) a body probably from some of those mentioned above; + 4) a tricorder etc from the existing QMX figures. Not included in this thread re AA females are the Shuri versions (Hot Toys, Disney Store, and possibly there was a Mattel one) so maybe a HT Shuri body would suit Uhura. I think anybody's recommendations for a Uhura would be most welcome -- everyone who bought existing QMX Trek probably wants to make one.
qmx should just finish uhura, and release her. it's not acceptable to not release everyone but her. she yes should also have a full AA body, but thats obvious.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
QMX did release Sulu (but in VERY small numbers); I was able to acquire one through Nanjin (the guy behind the scenes who was pretty much responsible single-handedly for getting ANY of the QMX 1/6 figures made — then they screwed him over and they parted ways.) The likelihood that any further 1/6 figures are coming from QMX is nil. Nanjin, however, it seems, is in the process of getting the Trek license away from them, and is pursuing avenues to get more Trek made (Uhura being a top priority of his). This is all in the early stages, however, so take that for what it is — it could be years, or never, before we see anything further in regards to 1/6 Trek.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nanjin does have plans for a custom body for Uhura. I'm encouraging him to make it available for purchase separately and maybe advertise it on here and other places to help recoup the cost as kitbashers might be interested too, given the dearth of options. The license is is limbo atm. It looks unlikely QMX have significant plans for it but the chatter is more promising for now that Nanjin might be able to do something with it.

I've secured custom heads for Rand, Decker, Ilia, Uhura, and Chekov for some TMP customs as a fall back position plus I am tempted to get Barbie Uhura repainted and rehaired with a TMP afro but not sure that there is anything suitable out there.

Shuri and Michone are expensive for bodies that might not even work but I will keep an eye out.

Let's watch this space.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
qmx should just finish uhura, and release her. it's not acceptable to not release everyone but her. she yes should also have a full AA body, but thats obvious.
Well, I am as frustrated as anybody but "should" and "not acceptable" aren't really applicable to QMX here because they have no legal or moral obligation to release Uhura if they can't afford to, or figure they'd lose money.

QMX did release Sulu (but in VERY small numbers); I was able to acquire one through Nanjin (the guy behind the scenes who was pretty much responsible single-handedly for getting ANY of the QMX 1/6 figures made - then they screwed him over and they parted ways.) The likelihood that any further 1/6 figures are coming from QMX is nil. Nanjin, however, it seems, is in the process of getting the Trek license away from them, and is pursuing avenues to get more Trek made (Uhura being a top priority of his). This is all in the early stages, however, so take that for what it is - it could be years, or never, before we see anything further in regards to 1/6 Trek.
Useful but sad news - thanks. Online info on the Sulu was conflicting. Crazy that QMX didn't sell more of Sulu, when he was actually made and sold in very small numbers. Also crazy they didn't make Chekov since the only difference from existing Kirk is the headsculpt and the arm braid. Actually they could just have sold one body with both Sulu and Chekov heads (for slightly more $ than a single figure) and most of us would have bought 2 to make both characters wthout QMX having any more manufacturing expense. Uhura as said above would cost QMX much more to make, because she requires mostly unique parts.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I've secured custom heads for Rand, Decker, Ilia, Uhura, and Chekov for some TMP customs as a fall back position plus I am tempted to get Barbie Uhura repainted and rehaired with a TMP afro but not sure that there is anything suitable out there.
Did you consider Playmates Uhura? Nothing comparable to QMX, but maybe better than you'd expect from Playmates.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you consider Playmates Uhura? Nothing comparable to QMX, but maybe better than you'd expect from Playmates.
I will see if the Triad body is way too tall first. Basically I need to settle on bodies to order custom uniforms. I can presently go for Kirk, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov, Rand, Decker and Ilia but would prefer to wait for Nanjin's custom bodies for Spock, McCoy, and Uhura but who knows if or when thst might happen. If I can find suitable placeholder bodies in the meantime, I might risk it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Triad body is not bad. Curvy although boobs are too big. I have been able to remove ankles to reduce height, which should work with flat boots.

Main problem is that the neck is hard plastic and is too fat for both my custom heads. Any recommendations on my option? Would be easy to make Barbie head hole bigger.

Edit: Trimmed Barbie's hole. Skin match is off but otherwise it could look great. The likeness is there even with the crappy paint app.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Dang, I passed on getting on of these ebony jiaou figures BECAUSE of the lack of non-barbielike heads, so of course I find a decent looking head...but now the figures have dried up, Well, that's my luck. Anybody got one they want to sell, hit me up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Never mind, there are more up on ebay now, search for ebony jiaou doll.
Nope, nothing comes up on my eBay search, although from my other Jiaou bodies I'm worried they will be a fraction too tall. I tried the Triad large and small bust for my Uhura and the larger bust, while a bit too big, does give an improved illusion of a curvy figure. The body is a bit cheap and the legs are only good with a trouser uniforms but hopefully Nanjin Tam is going to come up with something better soon.
_20201001_143540.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope, nothing comes up on my eBay search, although from my other Jiaou bodies I'm worried they will be a fraction too tall. I tried the Triad large and small bust for my Uhura and the larger bust, while a bit too big, does give an improved illusion of a curvy figure. The body is a bit cheap and the legs are only good with a trouser uniforms but hopefully Nanjin Tam is going to come up with something better soon.
View attachment 407906
Search "completed items". They are from the same sellers as the first batch, but they are all sold now.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Man, everytime this thread comes up again since 3 + years ago, I open it with hesitation and a 50/50 chance whether it's a great announcement of finding something new I want to pursue, or just someone expressing a regret for something that doesn't exist or has become unavailable. Looks like the Jiaou Athletic body hit both of those marks in a few hours. Hopefully they'll make more -- this whole thread is ample evidence they should.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Anybody made a custom 12 inch Uhura? Since QMx is dead and Exo-6 do not seem to release her in the near future (although Nanjin made prototypes a couple of years ago) DIY might be a solution.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts