Weathering body armor

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Weathering body armor

Weathering body armor

If you’re like me, you’ve found the Toy Soldier CIRAS body armor is very bulky. With a few easy mods it fits and looks better. I found a great way to weather body armor and other cloth uniform parts, that is very simple, yet effective. It incorporates the use of Prismacolor art markers to shade, and dry brushing for highlights.

The supplies to do this modification:
    Hair dryer
    Prismacolor markers- various shades of brown/ tan
    Acrylic art paint- shades to match project. Here I’m using ochre, misty white, and sand
    Dullcoat

Front/ Side/ Back views with no weathering

The first step is to open up the CIRAS and remove the white foam pieces and the plastic plates.

Holding the plate with pliers, warm it with the hair dryer. It will become “soft” and easy to shape.

Give it a rounded shape. This is more realistic than the flat stock shape.

Re-insert only the plates. The foam is what gives the CIRAS the unwanted bulkiness.

Using a light umber, add shading to all seam lines and below webbing. Don’t panic, the next step will fade the shading so it’s not so blocky.

Using a wheat, parchment, or colorless pen, go over the areas again. Pull the color farther away from the seams to fade the color a bit.

This show how the color fades.

The next step is to drybrush the piece.

Dullcoat is sprayed onto the entire piece to remove the sheen of the nylon cloth.

Front/ Side/ Back views after weathering.

Front view- side by side

Back view- side by side
    Only the most nimble, prudent, and clever will emerge unschathed.
    Skip's blog

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the tips. Getting ready to do an SF'er and this will be helpful.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

Hmm.... Might will be very helpful someday.

Question: Will it be useful to any other vests? What marker color to weathering woodland vest? Can this tip be used to BDUs? Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In the 1st pic that shows you using the markers, the marker tip is darker than the next 2 pics. Are you using the darker pen then going over everything again with the lighter pens before dry brushing?

The dry brushing would be the same, darker to lighter correct?
    OH-58C Crew Chief 89' to 92' C Troop 1-7 Cavalry...Desert Storm Vet

weathering

loved your tutorial!!

can anyone help me weather a whole figure (face, hands, uniform, weapon), i am developing?

it should be a Nam SEAL, circa 1970, special forces.

actually, there you go with the suggestion:

Francis Castiglione, AKA Frank Castle, AKA The Punisher... in 1970, as a Navy SEAL in Vietnam, special forces.

i won´t post pics of mine, because it would look stupid (and has no weathering at all, yet) next to what you guys present here, but i´d like to see this figure accomplished.

thanks for your time!
    Bobby Baccalieri: "To the victor belongs the spoils."
    Tony Soprano: "Why don't you get the hell out of here before I shove your quotation book up your fat f**king ass."

............thanks.
    Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you. Some days you both walk away!

I use a similar technique-- mostly with dry brushing and chalks, though.

Weathering Coyote colored gear is the hardest, so I really like your technique, Skip. I'd really like to try it.

I'll try and do a weathering tutorial of my own soon. (I should have thought of it sooner since I just finished up two Nam figures this week!)

Jose, I did post up my weathering methods a few months ago, but I don't remember which post is was or where it went. You might want to do a SEARCH for "weathering" in the General Discussion area, though. Something good might pop up.
    Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

i will search! but we want your tutorial!

thanks!
    Bobby Baccalieri: "To the victor belongs the spoils."
    Tony Soprano: "Why don't you get the hell out of here before I shove your quotation book up your fat f**king ass."