One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Armor Weathering

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mjw664 
#1 ·
Does anyone have or know of a good tutorial on how to weather and distress armor? I'm working on a project and I would like to make it look as though the paint has been chipped or blasted off a sci fi armor suit.

#2 ·
The simplest ( and if done properly , best ) way is to base-coat the armour in a metallic colour such as silver ( or chrome , if you're feeling brave !) and mask off the areas you want to show as chips or damage . What you use as a "masking medium" really depends on your skill and modelling experience , for example latex masking solution , rubber cement , scraps of tape or even salt can be used . Whatever you use , then add the coat of your colour of choice and when this is dry , remove the masking medium to reveal the metallic paint underneath . Alternatively , you could skip the masking and simply use the metallic basecoat , add your top colour and then scratch the top coat away with a scalpel blade . This is a more unpredictable technique though , as it's possible to scrape away the metallic coat as well ! You can make this less likely by giving the first coat a good few days drying time before adding the top coat . I hope this is some help .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.