Prismacolor Nupastels - which set to buy?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Prismacolor Nupastels - which set to buy?

Prismacolor Nupastels - which set to buy?

Hi guys,

I know some of you are weathering their figures with Prismacolor Nupastels. I thought of trying it out, but it seems like there are a whole bunch of different sets available - 12, 24, 48, 64 and 96 colors in a set... Can anyone tell me which set to buy? I realize that 96 colors will probably cover it all, but it also probably has a lot of colors that I will never use.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Question Where can i buy?

If you could point me to a website or name a store that carries these Nupastels your talking about. Thanks in advance.
    One Shot out!

Check your local art supplies store, it sure will have some of these sets for sale.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Try looking here: http://www.dickblick.com/zz200/34a/
    This way you can click on each set and get an idea of the colors. If you click on "Prismacolor Nupastel Color Sticks" (middle left side of the page, just above the "Set of 96") it will take you to a page that sells the color sticks individually. I know this doesn't answer your question. I'm just starting to research the best way to weather clothes, boots, leather items, etc., myself.

I'm interested in the Tamiya Weathering Master Set A - Sand, Light Sand, Mud. But, I don't know how well that works on clothes, boots, leather, etc. It may be more for truck and jeeps...anyone know?

Kat Cole

how do they work,

Hey Darth,

If you're asking me, I have no idea. That's what I want to know. How do they work, the Tamiya vs. pastels vs. some other methods or materials, etc. I've never used these products. Anyone?

Kat

Tamiya works fine for weathering, but in my opinion less expensive craft acrylics also work just as good for weathering. i use alphacolor pastels, just make sure it is pastel chalk, not oil pastel.

The great thing about pastel chalk is it creates a texture as well as a color. The bad thing about pastels is they have to be sealed or they will just flake off. Pastels are also great for skin tones. Use sandpaper to powder the chalk, brush on the powder then seal it with testors dullcote. Be sure to follow the safety precautions when using dullcote.

As for colors needed i find rust, brown, tan, gray, black, and light brown are all thats needed for most weathering jobs. For faces i use brown & flesh, and gray [pastels] for 5 oclock shadow.

dry brushing is a great way to weather but it seems to waste a lot of piant so i 'wet brush' my uniforms. put the uniform on the figure and bend elbows and knees as far as they go. then run it under the faucet to get the uniform damp. then lightly brush paint on the knees, ellbows, cuffs of pants, edges and pockets. use the colors above, brown for mud gray for dust etc. then you let it dry; i use a hair dryer to speed up drying.

THANKS RainbowAvenue!!! I really appreciate the info. Sad thing is, I finally broke down and bought one Tamiya set just yesterday. I was holding the pastels in one hand and the Tamiya in the other. The hobby store guy talked me into the Tamiya. Old well, I'll try it and see. Then I'll try the pastels a bit later. I want to try using the pastels for painting head sculpts as you suggest here also. It helps that you've suggested colors for that as well. Thanks again!!! -Kat Cole

No problem, the tamiyas will work great too. I use them a lot, and they even mix colors with craft acrylics.

For painting heads use the search function and find boot25 's headsculpt painting and realistic eyes tutorials. They are terrific.

Thanks once again! I didn't realize that about the Tamiya and acrylics. I have been looking at that boot25 site quite a bit. I'm painting a head sculpt at the moment, but I've never used the pastel technique before, so that's my next big challenge. His eye painting IS truly amazing! What I don't get, because I haven't tried it is...when you use the Testors Dull Coat after adding the pastels to areas on the face...won't that blow the powered pastel off of the face? You can tell I've never tried it!!! -Kat

Kat

Yes it does blow some of the chalk off, so you want to rub the chalk in a little so it sticks. Most of it will stay in place that way. Also use a little more chalk than you think at first, usually the spray tones it down some. You will get used to how much you need to use quickly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prismacolor Nupastels - which set to buy?-p101003212456-jpg  

Okay n-o-w I get it. Hey, you did a GREAT job painting that head sculpt. You do a pretty darn good job of the eyes yourself! Nice work and I thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Cole
    Try looking here: http://www.dickblick.com/zz200/34a/
    This way you can click on each set and get an idea of the colors. If you click on "Prismacolor Nupastel Color Sticks" (middle left side of the page, just above the "Set of 96") it will take you to a page that sells the color sticks individually. I know this doesn't answer your question. I'm just starting to research the best way to weather clothes, boots, leather items, etc., myself.

I'm interested in the Tamiya Weathering Master Set A - Sand, Light Sand, Mud. But, I don't know how well that works on clothes, boots, leather, etc. It may be more for truck and jeeps...anyone know?

Kat Cole

The Tamiya sets are brilliant on uniforms and faces but they are no better or worse than pastels. They are just compact and easy to use. My only recommendation is to get extra makeup appliers as the supplied ones dont last long. Highly recommended as are the Mud and Snow pens they make

From the sets in the Link I'd recommend the 24 stick set as it would cover just about anything. You will mainly use the right hand side of that set and you can replace individual sticks when they run out.
    If you need large quantities then consider tiling grout/cement or cement oxide/pigments. These can provide a lifetime supply in a variety of earthy tones and are extremely versatile. They can be used dry like pastels, as a wash with alcohol/white spirit/water or mixed as a muddy slurry with water. Beware though they are cement based and set accordingly. White spirit usally avoids that hassle.

Cheers
    Al

Thanks Al!!!

Kat

Okay, now I've painted a pair of boots dark brown using acrylic paint. I forgot to seal the paint before using the Tamiya to weather the boots (guess I got all excited - duh). Can I still use a varnish and/or lacquer to seal them? I have both. The lacquer I have is "Floquil Figure Flat" (spray) and the varnish I have is "Delta Ceramcoat Matte Exterior/Interior Varnish" (brush-on). If I had used pastels I realize I could seal those, but I don't know about the chemicals in the "Tamiya Weathering Master". (Little voice) help. THANKS! Kat

I know this is an old thread ( to say the least ) but just really getting to grips with site i found this section, and i have just recently purchased the weathering sets and pen from tamiya, but im still at a loose end on how to really use em.
    i tried the pen on a vehicle and the pastels but it doesnt seem to be doin much.
    I was thinkin the way i put it on might be /is wrong.
    any help would be grateful.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...ring/index.htm

there r some videos on the site above. hope it helps.

cheers
    tang
    ________
    ImRuslana live
    Last edited by tang; 09-01-2011 at 17:34.

brilliant thank you....

Hi everyone!

Newbie question : I'm looking forward to getting a Johnny West horse (1/6) for a Union Cavalry man I'm making. When I get the horse, I'd like to repaint it so that it would have a more realistic look. Can these weathering techniques like using Tamya Weathering Kits can work on painting a horse? I mean I'd like to make fur nuances on the body for example you see. Thanks very much for your help
    Fall out gents!

Pascal