Possible chat ghost fix? If you can decipher me..

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Possible chat ghost fix? If you can decipher me..

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]

Possible chat ghost fix? If you can decipher me..

Hi Norm, sorry to bother you with this, but I think I might have a solution for the ghost problem in chat. Well a possible root of it anyway..

I know a lot of people have asked for chat to be overhauled and fixed or just totally replaced, but I'm sure you have a lot of stuff on your plate as it is.
    If you do get the chance though, could you look into this please?

If I recall the earlier version of this chat never kept ghosts, but it also never kept the whole log of the chat either, like when you click on 'save' it would only give you what was on screen, not everything since you entered.

I think the upgrade forced the chat to keep all of its cookies and logs and as such let you save the whole chat, but it also kept all the cookies and data of the chatter saved along with it.

I've accidently closed or navigated from chat a few times on IE and as long as that window was open [I open chat via tabbed windows instead of the pop-up] I could always press back or get back in. I can also refresh with it letting me back in as well.

I'm not too highspeed on the technical aspect of it though, so I'm just guessing that this is because that page maintains the cookies until all of that window is closed and the page-file dumped.

Tonight I again absent-mindedly left a ghost, and turned off the laptop. When I returned home hours later, I discovered that because fire-fox does the same thing--saving user data and cookies for the previous session--and that I could get back into chat using that same laptop and a new firefox window by accessing flashchat in my history.

I'm not sure how Firefox maintains thise temporary data or page file though, since it has the restore session option if your browser or pc/laptop turn off somehow.

So maybe allowing the chat, if you're able to, to dump the cookies and user data/page-filing routinely it might just drop people if they're idle for a long time, or just let them log back in and replace their ghost. This way, the poor mods wouldn't have to come in and clean house everysooften, and let people chat again.

I'll also suggest people use firefox for it so hopefully that eases the ghostiness a little bit.

Thanks for your time, and for well, everything else~
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the info Saiko. I'll have a look into it. I've also been looking into other chat programs that can be easily integrated with our forum software.

Jaded is so overrated. Cynicism is so last year. Misery has enough company. Dare to be happy.

Trade Feedback ]

Oh come on. If you fix the ghost problem, I can't call myself a ghostbuster anymore.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    Wah, that'll be welcome news for a number of people Norm. Thanks for looking into it for us!
    Hehe, I look forward to the new system, and you not having chat as a monkey on your back anymore [I hope :P]

Lol HP, you know you want the sweet release from it~ And if anything you can kick out we idlers who fall asleep and leave chat on all night/morning

Oye, so many little errors in my first post. -_-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Possible chat ghost fix? If you can decipher me..-maybe-jpg  
    Last edited by saiko; 09-19-2011 at 22:47.
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya