Censoring

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Censoring

Censoring

Okay i noticed that now the board is being censored... Can we please make this a choice? On one forum i frequent you can choose whether stuff is censored or not... i mean... Farking... Farging... what ever... it's annoying... Gimme a choice my friend's!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sawgunner is offline I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
    I do believe the board has a built in language filter. If it is in on mode...certain words are not allowed. I don't think any admin is censoring you.

I turned on the censors and filter out only s**t, f**k, ....... and a few other choice words. I can probably make it an option to be able to see the censored words, but there's other projects on my priority list.

In the meantime people will have to try to deal with having a discussion with the censors on. There's countless ways around it, but personally I think it's not the end of the world if the censor is on. Enjoying the hobby and cussing don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Jaded is so overrated. Cynicism is so last year. Misery has enough company. Dare to be happy.

Trade Feedback ]

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm about as bad as they come, but I don't particularly need to see some kid cussing as an extention of his manhood. This is about dolls, after all. That, added to the fact that some members are minors, I think the filtering is acceptable. There are other places where the language is allowed.

I have about about as bad a mouth as one can get. After all, I am in the military AND an aircrew member. However, I don't think that using that language on this board is appropriate. We have youngsters who frequent here for one thing. I make it a point to not curse in front of people that I don't know. And there are quite a few people here that I don't know. I treat this board the same as if we were in public. Because in reality, we are in public. And kids and children and religious folk and people who just don't want to hear that stuff are listening. I think we can choose our words better and not have to offend anyone here. Many people get mad about not offending anyone anymore but this is one case that I agree with. And after all, do you really NEED to curse on this site? C'mon, this is about dolls as laughinggravy puts it.

I will agree with not having censors if there is anything constructive that could come out of cussing and foul words. Unfortunately, nothing good comes out of it so use the asterix to spell your bad words if you can't help it. This is a hobby forum not a discussion board for angry people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Six
    Enjoying the hobby and cussing don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    That s#!t cracked me the f#&k up!
    Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Ronin Six
    Enjoying the hobby and cussing don't necessarily go hand in hand....

Norm....buddy....are you on crack?

yes they do! go ahead, try not cussing when you've just glued your hand to a figure or dremelled off the wrong part on a hard to get item. Go ahead Go ahead try it! See! can't do it can ya!? man that .... is some ....ed up.

As a non-english speaker, I strongly disagree with this measure.
    How am I supposed to learn those lovemaking words?
    Credidi me pulcrum felem vidisse...

[email protected] Monsignore, good one! I believe that the censor forces creativity upon posters, even if only in production of profanity. I would advocate that farking be replaced with frelling, a far superior substitute. Also, typing in a**hole would generate Mr Poopy-Pants.

You guys don't have it so bad, Norm originally wanted everyone to wear ties when logged in, and has considered a spell-checker engine.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

LOL Stinny, Clay, OK OK you got me. What was I thinking? Even in times of great joy I cuss... "Effin' eh! That's a sweet figure!"

Here's a link that's almost relevant (mild cuss warning):
    http://www.zefrank.com/punc/

Jaded is so overrated. Cynicism is so last year. Misery has enough company. Dare to be happy.

Trade Feedback ]

I feel somewhat compelled to speak on this matter... "Censorship" is a dirty word. However, I feel as though the English language has produced several profane words that may be considered offensive to some not to mention completely unnecessary.

A little civility goes a long way.
    Maintiens le Droits

Civility is for girls and the weakwilled. The creative use of profanity is without question one of the english languages best features.

Normally this is how it would be written: You're a C***S*****g a**h*le who's as smart as Roadkill.

Rewritten: You Sir are a Knob-gobbling Anal void lacking the I.Q of a dead Rabbit.

With a little patience and some creativity we may get Norm to put most of the dictionary into the filters soon. Should be fun.

Hey! Now quit that. And where's your hall pass, mister?

Trade Feedback ]

We dont seem to have huge problems with profanity here.... usually its just Holy .... thats cool, or What the .... were the asshats at ____ company thinking when they made this piece...

Has anyone actually complained at the language?
    "I gotta jar of diiiirt, I gotta jar of diiirt, and guess whats inside it!" - Jack Sparrow
    I brought payment. *BANG!* Look, an undead monkey! - Jack Sparrow

Is it aloud to use french bad words?

Putain de bordel de merde!

Mais oui mon ami.
    Maintiens le Droits

Quote Originally Posted by Pad75
    Is it aloud to use french bad words?

Putain de bordel de merde!

Bien sūr, ēa va, mon pot...

I don't know if this is an urban legend, or really true, but it sounds good and it makes sense. It has to do with the word S.H.I.T. The story goes that it was an acronym, meaning "Ship High In Transeint." During the olde days (I mean very old) manure was an expensive commodity and many ships would transport the manure from one part of the country to the another part of the country which need it. Well, all they had at the time were oil lit lanterns or candles to see in the dark. Do you see where this is going? Down they go into the cargo hold and "BOOM," we have ignition! For the longest time the investigators of these mishaps could not understand why the ships carrying manure kept blowing up. Well, someone finally put the pieces together and found out that methane was highly explosive. Hence, ships carrying manure had to have the acronym "S.H.I.T." written on the sides of their ships.

Like I said I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then that word is really not a bad word, but a word that has been turned into a swear word over the years (100+ years).

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/s**t.asp

The engine's pretty much the final arbiter of what does or doesn't run in the clear aboard here. Like I said, it can be the cause of disgruntlement or the wellspring of creativity. In the English language (as well as the many other languages it has derived words from), there's terms that are considered obscene, and terms that are considered irreverent. Some have found their way into everyday use, by people who consider themselves of high moral character, and others will likely never be accepted by "gentle society".
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

.... I believe is derived from a old Germanic word, it was deemed inapporiate by the "civilized" Romans once they conquered those areas of the world. The Roman we known to deem many of the words used by the natives as Curse words once they took over the area. The reasoning was to destroy a people by destroying their culture and the easy way to take away language. The Roman language at once became the langauge to posterity.

Tung
    Sometime life hands you a bowl of lemons it's your choice to make lemonade or suck on it.

I find the monitor entertaining.....guys it can allow us to use our brains to figure out what word f'in changed. Besides who really gives a shiite? I notice when i receive my e-mail alerts there is no editing.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Right on One Bravo Four! I try to avoid forums with excessive use of swearing. Many times I have found that this brings down the community and makes it an unpleasant place to visit.

Censorship goes beyond cursing......
    ...where at least i know im free , and i wont forget the men who died and gave that right to me-Proud to be an American!!!

As a non-english speaker, I strongly disagree with this measure.
    Monsignore, one needs to hear our words of love spoken, to truly appreciate the beauty of their useage by a true artist. Written profanity loses it's true power when read by someone who can't swear like a man wearing a round brown.

why would one need to say .... .... and ....... on these boards anyways?

I like swear words!! But they should be used sparingly and for effect!!!! Rather like exclamation marks!!! If you use them too much they become annoying and foolish!!!
    Famous last sayings: " Stand back! All of you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Macliggett
    Monsignore, one needs to hear our words of love spoken, to truly appreciate the beauty of their useage by a true artist...

Yep, that's true, my son.

You shoulda've heard some of our DIs at the Paras, pouring "words of love" on us.
    And true artists they were...