{Buildup pics by GDZILLA95 added} My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: {Buildup pics by GDZILLA95 added} My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2

{Buildup pics by GDZILLA95 added} My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2

For those who can't handle 1/6 toy nudity, you best not continue reading. Ye been warned maties.

Glutten for punishment, I've done it again. I have improved my technique by remembering how tediously hard things were the first time. I have documented my progress again with over 70 photos which I have Photoshopped into a more forum friendly format. So, here goes...

After seeing my post of the AVP Elder I painstakingly converted into the Ultimate Scar Predator here:
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=81499
    a fellow OSW member, gdzilla95, commissioned me to do a facial resculpt, minus the scar, and quill job on his Elder head.

Here's how that turned out.

I was extremely pleased at how well the quill arrangement went, and with how quicly I was able to do it after having a bit of experience after three other Predator quill jobs.

Originally, I had agreed to this commission with the stipulation that I WOULD NOT go through the hell of painting the dreads and rings again. Not knowing the hell is was asking for, gdzilla95 said he would do the painting himself, but I was so inspired by the work at this point that I convinced gdzilla95 to let me go ahead and breathe life into into my new baby. He agreed with his own stipulation that I paint the whole body so it would at least match. I counter agreed--for a small additional fee of course.

The first time I did this, I didn't have the AVP: the Creature Effects of ADI book, but this time I did, and I was able to more accurately match the paint scheme and coloration.

The more I've researched the AVP Preds, the more I realize that Hot Toys really did a much better job than any of us had thought. The body was probably the simplest, most toylike part of the figures, but the paint scheme was actually quite accurate. I did pretty much redo it all to be slightly more accurate, but the basic tones and color patterns were right on to start with. I used to think that it was Hot Toys' beginning stages of Predhood making these look unspectacular as toys, but it was really ADI making them look unspectacular as Preds to begin with.

Then it was time for the dreaded dreads. Previously, I had hand painted each one black with a brush, then went back and painted each ring in its color. This time I airbrushed them black, being very careful not to overspray onto my face paint. I should have masked it off, but I got lazy for timesake and trusted my steady aim (stupid), and I lucked out. What took days only took minutes, but the rings still needed to be done the hard way.

What was once an AVP Elder head was now my finest work and a much more accurately painted AVP Predator head.

gdzilla95 only comissioned the head and body work, so I didn't have the rest of the pieces for the full build up, but here are some side by side shots with my orignal Scar custom. Though I do still love my original Scar custom because it is still friggin' sweet, I really do wish it were as accurate as the new one since I was originally going for complete and total screen accuracy to begin with, but only had DVD captures and trading cards to go off of.

For some reason the new paint job seems to reflect more light, and because I don't have working flash on my once dropped digital camera, I tend to get a lot of glare in some of these photos. Plus the light was on the left side. These didn't turn out too bad considering.

Where once there was only one, now there are two in the world.

Two Beautifully Ugly Motherhumpers. Yes, I said 'Motherhumpers'. What? It was cool in Tremors when Kevin Bacon said it.

Last edited by SilentSurfer; 02-27-2009 at 13:47.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: SilentSurfer's 1st Commission: Custom AVP Predator #2--More Accurate than the Fir

WOW! Excellent documentation of your work. It's always cool to see the 'how to' & ''behind the scenes' stuff. It really adds to the appreciation of the final product when you see just how much work was involved.
    Zeke of the Chicago Inner Circle and CLCK

Re: SilentSurfer's 1st Commission: Custom AVP Predator #2--More Accurate than the Fir

great custom work, as airzeke said great to see behind the scenes.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Excellent work and research!

Re: My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2--More Accurate than the First

Top notch work, man!

Re: My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #2--More Accurate than the First

Awesome craftsmanship!
    Really nice to the improvement over the stock tampos.
    It definitely pays off in your research to turn out such a great piece.
    The spine work looks great!
    Congrats on a fine figure!

I am currently working on a second commission and third custom Predator for another Freaks forum member. If any of you want a repaint job, or the full works, just send me a Private Message and we can do buisness. I love doing this work. It is time consuming and sometimes tedious, but it gives me time to just let my mind relax. It is actually a stress releaver for me. I even have a friend that brings me all his new Predator figures to just assemble and quill in exchange for movie tickets and meals. It's always nice to have some extra cash for figures too.

And thanks for the comments. You guys are the reason I do what I do. Actually, I do it for me because good enough rarely is, but then I do it for you.

Very cool, SilentSurfer! He looks awesome!

I also like your documentation of the process.

Photo Update

Here are some pics GDZILLA95 took of this figure once he received it and dressed it yesterday. Looks great. Wish I had this in my own collection.

Kinda hard to believe it's basically the same figure as the one behind it on the left.
    Last edited by SilentSurfer; 02-28-2009 at 00:46.

Re: {Buildup pics by GDZILLA95 added} My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #

Wow excellent paint work Surfer.

Re: {Buildup pics by GDZILLA95 added} My 1st Commissioned Work: Custom AVP Predator #

That's some great upgrading.

That's sweet custom work! I really appreciate the reference study work behind the scene. Your WIP pics are enjoyable to read. I would like to do a predator custom myself one day.

Damb sweet job! Nice attention to detail, and I've always admired your quill work.
    We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams.