Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?

Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?

It's been awhile since hot Toys announced any new Military figures. Anybody knows what's in store for us military fans? Looks like they've gone to Hollywood 100%. Just my two cents worth.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?

good thing there's Soldier Story to the rescue.....
    "Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue." - Jules Feiffer

Quote Originally Posted by rhoiye View Post
    No kidding. I missed out on all those great HT military figures, but most of them were priced way out of my range anyway. Hopefully SS will not only pick up where HT left off, but revisit some of the figures HT has already done, but at a much more reasonable price!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am a big fan of Soldier Story nowadays. Very true at a reasonable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by fioski View Post
    I am a big fan of Soldier Story nowadays. Very true at a reasonable cost.
    WELL THE COST IS GETTING IN THER 90S NOW WHEN THEY USED TO BE IN THERE 70S ITS GETTING UP THERE WITH HOT TOYS BUDDY WATCH NEXT YR THELL BE GETTING THERE IN THERE 100S LIKE HT

I don't remember any of the Soldier Story modern US figures retailing anywhere near $70 - the first one (101st AB SAW gunner) was at least $90 iirc?

in due time soldier story might go up with their recent price range, more demand for their figures means more money to spend making them...

hopefully they dont adjust too much

this is the feeling I'm also getting, looks like the focus now is on the MM series, I missed most of the earlier release like the Marine Sniper etc, coming into the game so late, sure wish they'll do a re-run or something really different like the 160th SOAR rather than variations of SEALs.

Were all the celeb sculpts they put on their military figures a subtle signpost to their eventual direction? Will this mean an increase in auction site prices for military stuff when they get rarer?

Answers on a postcard to...........

CHEERS!

I think it's because the movie figures are easier to produce and can be sold at a higher price than military figures.
    Escala 1 Sexto - The Brazilian 1/6 Scale Board:
    http://www.escala1sexto.com.br

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo75 View Post
    I think it's because the movie figures are easier to produce and can be sold at a higher price than military figures.
    I don't think HT makes more money (or difference is very minimal) from a movie figure as compared to military one. The price difference is royalty fees that HT needs to pay to the movie holder, plus all associated with it stuff (movie maker approving the final version or requesting changes and etc). Movies fan base is much larger then military figure collectors so Hot Toys is probably making more money by having a larger edition size... There is also a chance to cut corners where some items can be reused for several figures - in movie figures you don't really care if characters are dressed the same, where is in military figures you will not buy several figures that are essentially the same thing.

Plus military figures are still being released... 75th Rangers, British and Secret Service were all released recently. Its true, HT did not announce a new miliaty figure yet, but give it some time.

Alexei

I've lost my interest in HT nowadays. I was very fascinated with HT when they released Pare recuse grenadier, Green Berets in Afghanistan, Seals, etc.... Those sets were a big "WOW". But since now, I'm never impressed with them because I discovered their recent releases boring. It seemed that their figures are becoming simpler and more simpler. Compare recent release 75th Rangers to Pararecuser or Green Berets who were crammed with a lot of cool gear. Have HT put all their efforts to Hollywood series instead of military?

Right now, Soldier Story has my attention. I bought almost every of their modern sets. Their quality met par with HT and still is improving. Also not to mention I'm pretty much "Old School" because I love DCUs and BDUs which their recent releases are perfect for me. I never liked ACU but impressed with one of SS's para recuse set so I bought it and am happy with it.

Comparing prices with SS and HT: SS's price usually went for $90ish while HT's went for $120.

Maybe it is time for HT to move on and focus on movies? From what I can see, HT is top company for movie figures. Their quality are perfect for movie figures because IMO, other movie figures from other companies is "okay" compared to HT ones. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see HT's new military figures and what they could come up with.

Just my .2 cents.

P.S. I don't intended to bash any die hard fans of HT. It is simply of my opinion and my point of view.

I think we all got spoiled by the unusual surge of figures they released in such a short time this past summer. (Quite frankly, I think it was too much ... I mean no one could reasonably afford all of them with the frequency that they were coming out.) The Brits and the Secret Serice were fairly recent. I could be wrong, but I think they're just in a slight lull or they're going back to a more spaced out pace, interspersed with licensed figures. The way I see it, Dutch and Billy cross over both the movie and movie geek line, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by mx22 View Post
    I don't think HT makes more money (or difference is very minimal) from a movie figure as compared to military one. The price difference is royalty fees that HT needs to pay to the movie holder, plus all associated with it stuff (movie maker approving the final version or requesting changes and etc). Movies fan base is much larger then military figure collectors so Hot Toys is probably making more money by having a larger edition size... There is also a chance to cut corners where some items can be reused for several figures - in movie figures you don't really care if characters are dressed the same, where is in military figures you will not buy several figures that are essentially the same thing.

Plus military figures are still being released... 75th Rangers, British and Secret Service were all released recently. Its true, HT did not announce a new miliaty figure yet, but give it some time.

Alexei
    Right? But they get something better from us fans.

Love + Respect = Priceless.

Why is everyone crying about Hot Toys not making anymore modern military? You got three other companies and many more up and coming.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

HotToys makes the bestest Military figures ever anywhere, so if we aren't getting one a month or better yet two!! from HT .....I cry. It's a manly cry. One tear in the dark when I'm alone, not wee girly cry where you sob loudly and stomp your feet while clutching your action figure tightly to your chest. No sir not that.

I've always thought Hot Toys military figures were mostly overrated, honestly. Their sculpting skill is amazing, but as a whole most of the figures looked to me more like an excuse to show off gear than an attempt to put together a realistic figure. The scaling issues don't help either -- the oversized weapons, randomly too big or too small headgear and uniforms -- stuff like the incredibly silly huge cranial on the VBSS commander, or conversely the ridiculously tiny helmet (and huge head) on the recent TACP release. Compare the recent SS releases like ST10 and SFOD-D to the two HT Rangers for example; the SS figures look tight and realistic, the HT guys look like Airsofters in outsized and ill-fitting uniforms by comparison.

On the other hand, I really like HT's movie / sci fi interpretations. The Aliens figures, Machiko and the various Predators, and now Dutch and the other Predator guys look amazing and have the right "attitude" that the military figures often lack.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaid View Post
    Compare the recent SS releases like ST10 and SFOD-D to the two HT Rangers for example; the SS figures look tight and realistic, the HT guys look like Airsofters in outsized and ill-fitting uniforms by comparison.
    I'll disagree on this. When assembled, HT Rangers look MUCH better then Soldier Story figures you've mentioned. I have all of them and displayed all of them to people - HT figures might be lacking on smaller accessories, but they look better as assembled pieces straight out of the box and draw more attention (and I do not have tags that would identify them as HT or SS or as anything else for that matter). Not to say that SS figures are bad or anything...

Alexei

Quote Originally Posted by rhoiye View Post
    couldn't agree more...and cheaper too...bbi heads are even adaptable to thier nudes whooooohooooo!!!!!!!!

this is my first post and im dying for some more ht military...

I could use the break. There are still a couple older releases that I need to get. Plus as others have said, there is SS, ST/PH, VH, etc.

My question is where did Ace go?
    Hail Caeser! Those of us about to bash salute you.
    Sale page:https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...-le-added.html

I guess I could use a break to. im new to the hobby .. ive been selling all my other toys to buy 1\6 modern military ive spent 2k in 1 month....crazy but I want more... alot ofthe older ht mili are way overpriced though

Quote Originally Posted by mx22 View Post
    I'll disagree on this. When assembled, HT Rangers look MUCH better then Soldier Story figures you've mentioned. I have all of them and displayed all of them to people - HT figures might be lacking on smaller accessories, but they look better as assembled pieces straight out of the box and draw more attention (and I do not have tags that would identify them as HT or SS or as anything else for that matter). Not to say that SS figures are bad or anything...

Alexei
    I agree, placing SS's NS10 next to HT Water Edge NS, the former doesn't look quite as good somehow, he looks slightly awkward. While generally, it is understood that HT head gear is rather infamous fit-wise, since HT Rangers was mentioned, interestingly I had no problems putting his helmet on. For SS NS10 however, I had to pop Brad Pitt's head off to put the helmet on.

HMMM...Yeah where is ACE and their SEAL TEAM 10 V2?Wasn't that supposed to be out in November?I don't see anyone complaining that it didn't come out?
    I am not a slave to the box art layout!!
    Don't be so unkind.You may not survive to pass this way again,and these be the last friendly words you'll hear.

Quote Originally Posted by CorranJ View Post
    HMMM...Yeah where is ACE and their SEAL TEAM 10 V2?Wasn't that supposed to be out in November?I don't see anyone complaining that it didn't come out?
    I've been privately grumbling about it quite a bit though

Quote Originally Posted by CorranJ View Post
    Wow.... I completely forgot about ACE! So true, they seemed to be MIA.

I agree...I could use a break from HT. They released a flurry of Military figures in the past year. I had a hard time just catching up ...so this is a good time to get acquainted with other brands like Soldier Story. And when is TS going to release a modern military fig???

SS owns the modern military these days...price, quality,bang for your buck as far as gear...hands down..well at least IMHO

I [heart] Soldier Story. 5 figures and counting.

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]

Lol, I don't get to come to the forum as often as I used to, or as often as I like, but this isn't the first time I've seen this kind of thread when I randomly visit.

A weird spin on the ruckus that usually goes on; I never expected that if they don't make figures at even intervals people get in a tuss.

Usually its:
    If they continue pricing them at these prices people get in a tuss, and buy them anyway.
    If they continue buying them, someone eventually complains about something.
    Etc etc.

We may as well make a thread specifying what figures you would want, and then debating why certain figures won't be done, and why those that might are usually overly done.

Maybe all they need are good ideas~

Like an M1114 kit :] I mean lots of movies have hmmwvs in them right? *nudge nudge*

Oh and ditto the Soldier Story love, I like looking at HT figs, but I don't particularly want them. [not a diss to HT, I'm never truly happy with most boxed figs at such prices anyway]
    Now on the other hand, that MSOB figure... Woooo~
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

I just wish HT would return back to their military roots - Jet Pilots! This is what got me started buying their products more than 8 years ago!

I still need you -- yes you Hot Toys! -- to produce the next generation of modern jet pilots like the F-35 pilot below!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?-f35interface_07-jpg   Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?-f-35_hmd2-jpg   Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?-f-35_hmd4-jpg   Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?-f-35_hmd-jpg   Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?-f-35_hmd3-jpg   Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?-jsf_nite-jpg  

Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?-jsf_day-jpg  
    "Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime". Galland