Scale Size Question

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Scale Size Question

Scale Size Question

Hello,

Yes I am a newb to this forum and to 1/6 Scale figures so I have a newb question...

I have collected the smaller 7" figures for a while now (and some of the other 12" to 18" Neca, Mezco, etc) and after seeing the 1/6 DC Direct DN Joker I had to have it. Then I wanted to get at least 1 Sideshow and 1 Hot Toys figure as well. So I got the Indiana Jones Sideshow figure and just recently (which many of you helped me fix) I got the Hot Toys Bank Robber Joker. Oh and I also have the DN Batman as well.

My question is, it seems that each company's 1/6 scale is different. The DC Direct DN Joker is at least more then an inch taller then the Hot Toys Joker but seems to have a smaller head. Even the gun for the DC one is HUGE comparered to the HT one. SS Indy seems closer in scale to HT Joker but is taller still but not as tall as the DC Joker. Which is more in scale?

Thanks!
    Jay

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Scale Size Question

Hello Jay,

I wish there was an industry standard but there isn't. True 1/6th scale should be 2 inches = 1ft in the real world.

So a 12" figure would translate to 6ft in reality. 11.5" to 5'6" and so on...

Don't know if that helps but mathematically that should be right.

By all means ladies and gentlemen correct me if I am wrong.

And personally, I don't think DCD should advertise their figures as 1/6th scale. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by CREG Customs View Post
    Hello Jay,

I wish there was an industry standard but there isn't. True 1/6th scale should be 2 inches = 1ft in the real world.

So a 12" figure would translate to 6ft in reality. 11.5" to 5'6" and so on...

Don't know if that helps but mathematically that should be right.

By all means ladies and gentlemen correct me if I am wrong.

And personally, I don't think DCD should advertise their figures as 1/6th scale. But that's just me.
    You are absolutely correct about the correct scaling. 2 inches = 1 ft in the real world.

DC Direct figures are not true 1/6th scale figures unless the Joker stands 6' 6" in 1:1.

Just one small typo above though ... 11.5" corresponds to 5'9" (11" even would be 5'6").

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

well, the DC Direct stuff are always advertised as 13 inches... i don't think i have seen them in official ads as 1/6... though i may be mistaken...

I've also found Sideshow tends to be a bit larger scale than everyone else. Usually being a bit over 12" for most figures.

Hot Toys is the biggest offender, with their weapons being noticeably larger than 1:6.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O. View Post
    Hot Toys is the biggest offender, with their weapons being noticeably larger than 1:6.
    This was my biggest problem with 1/6. People come in all different sizes and shapes so a figure that is a bit taller or shorter is not that big a deal. Clothing comes in all sizes to fit people, so again not a big deal. Mechanical things, however, don't have that latitude. A 1/1 K-bar knife is x inches long, it should be the same size no matter which company makes a 1/6 scale copy.

Jon
    I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one!

Hasbro GI Joe equipment tends to be a bit smalller than 1:6. In theory with their figures being around 11.5 inches tall, the scale should be around 1:6.25.

Who knows?

- Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan1GFP View Post
    Hasbro GI Joe equipment tends to be a bit smalller than 1:6. In theory with their figures being around 11.5 inches tall, the scale should be around 1:6.25.

Who knows?

- Ivan.
    With their weapons I think that was just measurement error. They were only making toys, afterall, as opposed to high end models. The 11.5" figures, however, were spot on according to a couple of books I've read with comments from the original designers. They didn't want their everyman to be 6' tall. They were going for 5'9" to 5'10", which was the average male height at the time.

Steve O., is HT really still making their weapons noticeably larger than 1/6th, even with the newer figures? Sheesh, that's odd of them! (I've only ever bought their M14's, and more recently a few SCAR's. All my M4's come from BBI, so I don't have a good comparison there.

Quote Originally Posted by 38oliver View Post
    Steve O., is HT really still making their weapons noticeably larger than 1/6th, even with the newer figures? Sheesh, that's odd of them! (I've only ever bought their M14's, and more recently a few SCAR's. All my M4's come from BBI, so I don't have a good comparison there.
    I haven't had a HT fig in hand for a while, so I can't address the scale of the newer weapons, but if their history is any indicator, I doubt that they would have changed their scale to 1:6. Can anyone out there tell us if HT has changed their scale to 1:6?

BTW, 38o, I think that BBI M4s are a fine choice. BBI are my favorite figs.

I can't argue that the average man of the time should not be about 5'9", but I don't think Joe's body proportions were very well thought out and certainly not representative of "Every" man. The undersized weapons are pretty well proportioned, but too consistently small to not be intentional IMO.

- Ivan.

Oh, no doubt the original Joe has his quirks. The design story is a pretty fascinating read, especially when you consider the new ground they were breaking 40 years ago. Although he stood to represent an average 5'9" tall male, he was definitely far more barrel chested than most people. (I guess that was the 60's idea of a heroic build.) And by today's standards his arms and classic hands were on the spindly side compared to his chest. I'd guess it was a deliberate design comprmise to make them look right in the clothing sleeves ... which were very thick for 1/6th ... or more likely to give way for mechanical design And I think you may even be right about the weapons being deliberately undersized ... probably so they'd fit in the hands which had been designed so they'd slide through the sleeves of the time. Certainly not a perfect 1/6th representation by today's high end sculpting standards, but he was the first ... and for any of us who grew up with him at the time ... he was perfect for what he was designed for.

Somebody on this board (Ronin I think?) introduced me to the Pica ruler for true 1/6 scale measurements to the inch. 1 Pica = 1 inch in 1/6 scale.

I promptly ordered this ruler by Alumicolor...
    http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/cat...m?cata_id=9395

To this day its one of the best tools in my hobby kit.
    Archangel 6
    FLASH FORCE
    Strike 316
    http://www.archangelhq.com

Jayiw:

It is going to be an investment. Depending on the type figure you start collecting (military, Sci-Fi, movie, etc.) you are going to see a difference. Some heads a large, some small, the same goes with the outfits, weapons, equipment, etc. Not a real problem if you are sticking with the box figure. Once you start bashing, there is a little more work involved.

Red face Re: Scale Size Question

Quote Originally Posted by STALL STUFF View Post
    Jayiw:

It is going to be an investment. Depending on the type figure you start collecting (military, Sci-Fi, movie, etc.) you are going to see a difference. Some heads a large, some small, the same goes with the outfits, weapons, equipment, etc. Not a real problem if you are sticking with the box figure. Once you start bashing, there is a little more work involved.
    I've been collecting the Mcfarlane, Neca, Mezco, etc type movie figures for a good while but got bit by the 1/6 bug even since I saw (and bought) the DCD DN Joker. Now I want so many more but my god there's a huge difference between wanting a $20 figure then a $180 figure! I have a wife to contend with too and while she did give up bugging me about spending the money on the cheaper ones, this time she thinks I have lost my mind. The next one I want is the HT Iron Man Mark III. I'll have to lie to her if I do get it and say it was $45 or something.

Welcome aboard Jay! Just like everyone have said, there isn't really a definite industry-wide scale standard. I suggest you compare on quality of figures instead, and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jayiw View Post
    Hello,

Yes I am a newb to this forum and to 1/6 Scale figures so I have a newb question...

I have collected the smaller 7" figures for a while now (and some of the other 12" to 18" Neca, Mezco, etc) and after seeing the 1/6 DC Direct DN Joker I had to have it. Then I wanted to get at least 1 Sideshow and 1 Hot Toys figure as well. So I got the Indiana Jones Sideshow figure and just recently (which many of you helped me fix) I got the Hot Toys Bank Robber Joker. Oh and I also have the DN Batman as well.

My question is, it seems that each company's 1/6 scale is different. The DC Direct DN Joker is at least more then an inch taller then the Hot Toys Joker but seems to have a smaller head. Even the gun for the DC one is HUGE comparered to the HT one. SS Indy seems closer in scale to HT Joker but is taller still but not as tall as the DC Joker. Which is more in scale?

Thanks!
    Jay

WELCOME TO THE COLLECTORS' PERSONAL HELL!!

I have figures in every scale, though my favorites are 12". And NONE, of ANY scale, are produced to match their counterparts on the shelf. Just check the marvel legends from hasbro and the ones from Toybiz. Or the DC direct regulars and the ones "Alex Ross". The list goes on and on, thru all scales you may try.

that's just stupid and wrong, and maybe my greatest pain in the a$$ with this hobby.
    Bobby Baccalieri: "To the victor belongs the spoils."
    Tony Soprano: "Why don't you get the hell out of here before I shove your quotation book up your fat f**king ass."