Noob to the scene with ? about SS bodies

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Noob to the scene with ? about SS bodies

Noob to the scene with ? about SS bodies

Hello everyone. Thanks for what looks to be a pretty awesome site. I'm relatively new to the 1/6 figure scene owning quite a few early Dragons and several of the early Medicom Lupin the III figures. Mainly I just collect vintage Popy toys (ie. Go-lion or Voltes V) and vintage comics nowadays, but too be honest I own a TON of stuff from all over the field.
    I recently purchased the Sideshow Indiana Jones and am now very interested in the Tatooine Han Solo. For the Solo i'd like to "upgrade" the body. I know everyone will say truetype but they're impossible to find at a sane price. What other bodies are compatible/ recommended. I like the look of the new SS2 bodies. I have never kitbashed before so any tip or warning are very appreciated.

Also the work you guys do on all your customs is insane. Just plain inspiring really.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Noob to the scene with ? about SS bodies

I might suggest using a dragon neo or neo 3 bodies if truetypes are out of your range. BBI 3.5's are too bulky for a Han solo and BBI 1's are too short. Well I guess you could get a triad omega body too, but I don't really know their pricing off the top of my head but you can go to their site.

I don't know if you want the SS2 body as I read they can crack at the neck. Do a search of the board to see what I"m talking about. But I don't own one to comment about the quality myself.

Welcome to OSW. Another lost soul.

The Triad Omega isn't inexpensive either. Dragon Neo3 is good for posability. The Han comes with a Art S. Buck body if memeory serves. Even a Neo would be better for posablity. Possibly a Volks Neo Goy, but those are hard to find, and not inexpensive either. Replacing with a Dragon is probably the Best option. I think the headsculpt is similar to the SSC neck joint, but you might have to modify a bit to fit Dragon bodies.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the tips. It's not a matter of not wanting to spend on a nude, but it didn't make sense to me to potentially spend more on a truetype than on the actual MIB Solo.

If I were to get the truetype which neck would I need to fit a Sideshow HS (I ask since I would probably have to piece-meal a figure together)? Also, can I use the wrist and ankle joints from the Solo figure on the Truetype?

Again thanks so much for the info. The idea of creating your own designs here seems to be to fun a hobby to not give a try.

I hear you on the spending thing. It all depends on what you want to do with the figure, and how much of a "priority" it is to upgrade or modify. I have patience and look for the bits I need, be that bodies or parts..... but sometimes... Sometimes you just have to have someting else to make your own stuff better, cost be thrown aside.

Am I reading this right? You got a Tatooine Han for the same cost as a Truetype? Nice score if that's the case.

I haven't heard if there is an adapter for the Buck body for the sculpt. Although there are adapters for Dragon heads to be used on HT bodies, and the Buck body sculpts apparently attach in a similar matter. The wrists would need to be modified for the Truetype and SSC Buck. They are very different. As far as the ankles, the TT would be better than the Buck, so go with those.

[edit; The Tatooine Han is indeed a Buck body, so all my stuff above applies for joints and sculpts. If it was the Prometheus, much of the stuff would be adaptable to the HT TT body with minor mods.]
    Last edited by cdn_rhino; 01-28-2009 at 11:45.

Thanks cdn_rhino.

I got the Han off ebay for $55.00 (not including S&H). I see Truetype's in package selling for 40.00 to 60.00 (and then 20.00 for S&H). Since I've never done any of this before the last thing I want to do is jump the gun and potentially ruin two $60.00 figures.

Does upgrading the Han buck body to a prometheus make sense, or is that the same as switching a buck for just another buck. Again right now I want to keep this as simple as possible since this is first time. It's funny cause I see all the awesome work going down on here and now I've got all these ideas in my head.

Welcome aboard Wish I could help in the SS body discussion - I use mostly DML bodies as I find the True Types are too expensive for my budget. I do like the ankle design that allows for pro-nation in the ankle - so I like using BBI G3.5's as well.
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

The Prometheus was made with the help of HT. That's the reason they are so similar. A loose Prometheus is still going for higher cost than most nude bodies right now, when they are even getting parted out. Makes more sense, and it's probably less expensive than the TT, but not cheap either. I don't know how compatible/mixable the Prometheus and the Buck are. There was hopes that SSC would at least make the hands and sculpts somehow interchangeable, but I have no way of knowing since I don't actually own a Prometheus yet, just seen a pile of pics here.

I hate the fact that HT cost that much too. I'm finding that the HT bodies are going for a decent price, but when you have to add hands, feet, their joints, and sculpts (the sculpt and neck combo usually sold seperate, and the biggest cost of the figure) it really adds up. Complete TT are ridiculous on ebay. Check some of the retailers listed here, you might find complete TTs for a more reasonable price. Not many figures with the Prometheus out yet, so the fact that they aren't common yet is why the price is high on those.

Actually the Prometheus body was developed by the Sideshow Design and Development team, WITHOUT help from Hot Toys. The armor body on the other hand was developed along with Hot Toys.

Why do you want to upgrade the body? What do you want it to do, that it can`t do now?
    ~MERK..."Deeds Speak!"

Trade List

Recently scored some nude HT bodies (as well as some as nice SS2 bodies). in answer to MERK's question i'm looking for superior posability compared to the SST body. Now that I have the figs I wants switch the bodies. Already removed Hans' head an of course the head doesn't fit the HT's smaller peck post. So what would you guys recommend? Do I switch the HT & SST neck posts as well? If it's a matter of modifying the HT neck post what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyHel View Post
    Actually the Prometheus body was developed by the Sideshow Design and Development team, WITHOUT help from Hot Toys. The armor body on the other hand was developed along with Hot Toys.
    yeah... they may not have gotten help from hot toys but they certainly got an awful lot of help from volks... although i don't think volks helped willingly..

the prometheus body is a complete knockoff of the volks neo guy body...

Articulation-wise but not proportion and detail wise. Imo the Pro body has the same sorts of anatomical issues as the Buck. Mainly that the body's anatomy is all wrong.

As far as putting a Sideshow head on a Hot Toys neck adapter normally what I do is use a hobby knife to cut down the inside of the neck to fit over the HT adapter then glue the HT neck to the SS head. I swap the bodies for the above mentioned reasons. Articulation is part of it but bigger than that just good proportions and correct shape of the body.

The S2 I like even more than the HT TT but the neck makes it harder to adapt existing heads, many of which have a sculpted neck.

Dedguy, the Solo head fits perfectly over the HT neck adapter so no need to cut. I want to avoid using glue in order to turn the head. Does anyone know if its possible to switch the buck neck adapter with the HT one?

Well you can still turn the head on the balljoint if you're using a HT body.

Ah, thats the thing. I'm using the smaller HT adapter.

I don't know what you mean... no matter which adapter you're using the ball joint will still work?

This is the type of adapter i'm referring to. No ball joint.

yeah you still have the ball joint where the neck connects to the body.

Oh OK! Now I get you. By gluing the head to this post I'll be rotating the HS AND the neck adapter due to the ball joint underneath that. Sorry for taking awhile to get that in. One more stupid question while we're at it - best glue for these types of plastics (gorilla glue, krazy glue, etc)?

Again Dedguy - thanks so much man !!!

I've had good luck with Gorilla Glue but you have to clamp.

barrack seargent bravo bodys are awesome very posable ... 60 points of articulation..

I actually haven't gotten one of their bodies yet. The high price a limited use (pretty much only good for fully clothed figures) has kept me away. I'd rather spend the ~$20 on a S2 or HT TT. One of these days I'll pick one up.

I swapped my Sideshow anakin, and all of my lord of the rings figures to truetypes, and i'm preparing to do it to the rest of my star wars line, although a litle slowly. i find the best glue to use 9 so you can also remove the head later from the neck post ) Is to fill the sideshow head with Hot Glue, and then press the neck adapter in and hold it till the hot glue hardens. If you want to remove the neck adapter then, you simply need to boil and pull to get the adapter out. PIC related as it's my Anakin on his truetype. And no, that's not dust, he's on hoth... ( old pic, been dusted since)

A note on hands. if you Are lucky enough to get the Smaller Type wrist pegs 9 the ones that come on the newer truetypes, or the ones that joker uses, NOT the ones that go into the gloved hands) then the sidesho hands will fit Directly onto these pegs with NO modification. simply boi l them and put them on. With sideshow hands, you ALLWAYS want to use boiling water, or a hairdryer to change them, they are a little hard, and can break the wrist pegs otherwise.

I always drill out my Sideshow hands to fit on the True Type pegs. Once you've done it a few times it becomes pretty easy.

The hot glue is a brilliant idea, never thought of that. Will definitely do that in the future.

Welcome to my obsession!