3A Toys Tomorrow King; Yoji

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: 3A Toys Tomorrow King; Yoji

3A Toys Tomorrow King; Yoji

DISCLAIMER
    Please Read

Before we begin there's a few things that you need to be aware of. Before crowinghorse asked me to do this review, I had done a few modifications to Yoji. So that you know what you're getting and what you're not getting I'd like to outline those changes.

1. I ground down the shoulders from the outside to give him a narrower silhouette. I also took the whole shoulder join apart and ground down some areas to improve movement a bit.
    2. I added some medical tape to both his forearm and nose. The nose has a painted strip of tape on it, in some pictures though you will see an actual strip of tape there over it.
    3. I made my own shoulder strap for his sword that you will see in some photos.
    4. I have done some weathering to both the pouches and belt with oil pastels.

Tomorrow King; Yoji
    from 3A Toys

Yoji is one of (thus far) seven different Tomorrow Kings (TK). The first wave of TK figures included Yoji (orange shirt, black hair), Hideo (white shirt, blonde hair), Kenshiro (orange hair, black shirt), and the rare Blanco y Negro (all black and all white respectively). The figures where sold blind boxed in singles as well as a set of three.

Both the single and sets have long been sold out but if you're still looking to buy one do not despair. Aki (black hair, black shirt) and Oyuban (TK leader with coat and two swords) are still to be released. Aki will be an exclusive to an as-yet unamed retailer. Oyuban will be exclusive to members of the 3A forums. To see images of all known TK figures please visit the 3A forums.

The Tomorrow Kings are the first release in the Popbot line of toys.

Packaging

This is the usual 3A fair for anyone familiar with their previous products. Very attractive design by 3A and beautiful paintings by Ashley Wood. The box features a flap held in place by a magnet, common to many higher end 1/6 figures. What's a little unusual is that instead of opening to a window box showing the figure in it's packaging the flap opens up to a Ashley Wood painting featuring both the figure and the robot head. The packaging is sturdy and does a good job at keeping both the figure and robot head safe and sound in their long journey from China.

Sculpting

This is not your average realistic 1/6 figure that many of us are used to. It falls a bit more into the territory of "Hong Kong Vinyl" 1/6 figures such as those made by Hot Toys and BrothersFree. Yoji's face is simple and abstract, as is his hair. The lines are all crisp and almost architectural with thin slits for both eyes and mouth and an upswept nose. The head is by far the most striking aspect of the figure and many might find it a little off putting. The TK's also feature unique shoe and glove sculpts. These are a bit more detailed than the head, but not so much so as to seem out of place.

The robot head is a bit different from previous 3A robot releases. It features a bit more detail in the sculpting. The eyes are fairly complicated composed of various inset and intersecting circles. The head also features quiet a bit of sculptural weathering and battle damage. Something only hinted at with Barmble. There's a large gash across the top of the head as well we bullet holes, small gashes, dents, and patches of bumpy rust painted over. When flipped over there's also a load of sculpted detail where the head has been cut from the body; tubes, wires, etc.

Of note here is that both the figure and the head are done in a style a bit different from the previous WWR (World War Robot) releases from 3A. The WWR bots (Bertie, Barmble) are composed of strong simple shapes with an emphasis on utility. Yoji and the bot head are a bit more whimsical and well... poppy. I think, this reflects the style of Popbot versus WWR, well.

Paint

The figure's paint work is generally crisp and clean with flat colors for both the shoes and head. The gloves have a bit more going on with some airbrushing from a medium to darker brown as well as some subtle use of dry brushing to create the effect of worn leather. Additionally there's black/very dark brown smears and splatters over the figure as a whole (body/face/shoes/clothing/etc). This is something that could have very very easily been over done but what's here is done with restraint and looks good.

The robot head has a lot more in the way of paint. The overall scheme is a burnt orange not dissimilar to Desert Rat Bertie. There's a wash of a black similar to that on Yoji over the whole head, glossy oily looking drips from it's various wounds, and some silver and dark grey here and there for exposed metal. There's also a fairly obscured white decal on the side of the helmet. The decal has a bathroom-style silhouette of a woman, the number 3, and an art-deco style flower. I find that the symbols are a bit incongruous with that of a giant killer robot and I like that.

Outfit

Not a lot going on here, but what is, is pretty cool and unique. His shirt has a really nice screen print on the front and back that looks perfectly in scale. The shirt is a tour shirt for Kitty's (one of the main characters in Popbot) band Funlicker (if I'm wrong please let me know, it's been awhile since I read any popbot). The back features the band and tour name, the front features "Bambalad". The only other article of clothing are a pair of short cargo pants (or I guess long cargo shorts). Both the shirt and pants hang well on the body and look great. Each TK features a different shirt but the same pants.

The shirt, btw, is pretty much the same shirt in 1/6 and orange as a Funlicker shirt sold through the Bambaland store a few years back. So if you're like me and lucky enough to have one you can dress up a 1/1 TK if you're so inclined.

Accessories

What you're buying here is a figure of a Tomorrow King. With that in mind I'd count the robot head as an accessory and it's one hell of an accessory. It's big and beautiful and works well with the figure. The figure also comes with a set of pouches (two large, two small narrow), and a sword and scabbard. That's it. The pouches are very well made, being a bit too large for the figure giving them a cartoony look to fit with the overall theme of it. The sword is simple, the scabbard almost appearing to be an old pipe. Not a lot, if you don't count the robot head. Some extra hands would have been nice, but the hands he comes with are plenty adequate for anything you're likely to want him to do.

Articulation

The body on the TK's is a little odd. I'm not sure how exactly it was made but it seems very similar to Hot Toy's TrueType in a lot of ways. Most notably the arms and legs are almost exactly the same. I can see some minor difference in them in size/shape but that could easily be from re-casting. The shoulder construction is totally different though as is the torso. What's good is that the torso offers a better range of movement both in the shoulder and in the midsection than the Hot Toys body. I must admit though that the body isn't exactly up to the quality of Hot Toys and is more in line with ACE or Soldier Story. The plastic doesn't seem as nice, the joints not as tight, etc.

So, if you know Hot Toy's body you pretty much know this one. If not it has all the movement you'd expect in a modern 1/6 figure.

Cost and Overall Impression

The singles cost $120, the set $300. There where 300pcs each of the single blind boxes and 75 of the three piece boxset. That makes a total run of 525 figures. At such a low production and high quality of what you're getting (especially with the robot head) I'd say that's a steel. This is especially true if you had bought the set of three. Oh and did I mention that those prices include EMS shipping from China? For me (or anyone else in the US) the cost of EMS shipping would have been about $60US at current exchange rates according to the HK Post website. I'm sure (I hope) 3A gets discounts due to the amount of shipping they do, but still for me almost half the cost of the figure would have been shipping.

This is a great figure at a great price and if you like what you see I'd suggest trying to grab one of the two upcoming exclusives.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: 3A Toys Tomorrow King; Yoji

Great review and pics. Nice mods.

Sweet review ded!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]

Great review and AWESOME pictures dedguy. Thanks very much!
    I didn't like this fig much when I first saw the early promo/preorder pix, but then I see your's and I'm itching for one. [lol same thing happened with Bertie]

heh, I didn't know it was a HE until you told me today. The artwork I have for him looks a bit different, probably a different guy, I think he had a bit of a goatee.
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

Killer pictures!! Have you ever thought about picking up one of those flexible figure stands? It allows for "off the floor" poses. I'm thinking of picking one up myself.

Awesome review bro!

Always love seeing your pictures!

Great review, Ded! Your pics are always amazing

I was lucky enough to purchase the 3 box set. These things are so damn awesome and unique, that they basically became my favorite 1/6 figs overnight.

holiday: yup they're pretty great.

magman3: I keep looking to buy one (I assume you're talking about the felxible DiD stands) but I can never find them for sale anywhere.

Everyone else: thanks for the kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by dedguy View Post
    holiday: yup they're pretty great.

magman3: I keep looking to buy one (I assume you're talking about the felxible DiD stands) but I can never find them for sale anywhere.

Everyone else: thanks for the kind comments.
    I'm not sure who they are made by, I've only seen them once or twice.

Sorry to go off topic a little. I was wondering what gloves and .45 pistols are on the HT Sniper figure?

BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!

DiD WWII era 1911's and the black gloves from the SSC Spike figure. I really like that glove sculpt, same scupt as on the Endor troopers (in yellow/tan on the troopers).

Stunning photos as always ded, and a great review as well.

the ashley wood figures are just so cool. i love his artworks and figures. the packaging also never lets you down. i've only got a bertie pipebomb but would love any one of the three figs.

rip toshiba - 11/3/2014
    It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation

Quote Originally Posted by idreamoftoshiba View Post
    the ashley wood figures are just so cool. i love his artworks and figures. the packaging also never lets you down. i've only got a bertie pipebomb but would love any one of the three figs.
    Come on over to the 3A Boards, there are alot of TK figures being sold there for retail from members who got doubles.

http://3atoys.hyperboards.com/index....id=633&start=1

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnFan View Post
    Come on over to the 3A Boards, there are alot of TK figures being sold there for retail from members who got doubles.

http://3atoys.hyperboards.com/index....id=633&start=1
    thanks spawnfan!!

rip toshiba - 11/3/2014
    It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation

Also, it seems that Aki will now be sold at the Bambaland store around the same time as Oya.

Ta for the info dedguy!

BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!

The 3a toys was very well. I like it very much. The
    hair accessories was very cool.

dedguy, i think your thread got spammed, TK with hair accessories? click on that link and go to a hair accessories store. Or was he trying to say Head Accessories as bot head for TK...hmmm...i don't know
    Last edited by ayyong; 04-13-2009 at 22:42.

I see that... I must admit I now find myself hankerin' for some beaded hair clips.

LMAO! HAHAHAHAHAHHA....fall off my chair for a second there....yes, you need some bun holders.

What can I say? I'm a man of hidden interests.

lol, i know you have pretty GREAT relationship with your bots, bottle of wine, marvin gaye, bow-bow-chica-bow-wow.

Ha! Well, at least they have the first two sentences right.

I just got a kenshiro from ebay at a cool price. Its my second 3A figure. Im looking to hunt down a de plume figure now.

good luck erna. very hard figures to track down.....although Gebi de Plume has been popping up on ebay already. Be quick on the draw and you might land one for double the retail price.............if you're lucky.

nizzit is right, de plume is the ultimate 3A, hard to find and hard to get. good luck on your hunt.

Last edited by dedguy; 12-26-2009 at 11:16.

Great pix as always ded.

Great sharing! The figure has very nice articulation to allow excellent poses.