Another Stinny Review: Hot Toys US Secret Service (ERT) Female Version

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Stinny Review: Hot Toys US Secret Service (ERT) Female Version

Another Stinny Review: Hot Toys US Secret Service (ERT) Female Version

This review is a bitter/sweet one, as this figure has many great points, and a few glaringly bad ones.

Starting where I always do-- the box-- Hot Toys, once again, shows off it's ability to create eye catching and moody graphics. While many companies just throw their figure in a box with maybe a few photographs of the the box's contents and a graphical font or two, Hot Toys always creates something completely from scratch for each new figure. For some reason, this give me the feeling of our hobby being "taken seriously" and shows a bit of respect to the people who are going to shell out the 100+ bucks that HT figures often go for.

Here you can see the figure and her gear in the typical layout.

This figure is slightly light on gear compared to most HT figures, but I don't think it was meant to be over-loaded. After all, this is a Secret Service agent, and she needs to be quick and mobile.

Of course, the thing I was most excited about in getting this figure was the female body. We have a few options out there, but I really wanted to see HT's version.

I was immediately and seriously impressed with the detailing on the figure's face. It has the usual realism the HT sculpts have had as of late. But, I couldn't quite tell if she was "hot" or a bit scary looking. Either way, she obviously wanted to kick someone's ass.

The hair isn't bad. It's seriously not great, but seriously not bad. It's just okay. You know, I think it's just hard to put hair on a 1/6 figure and not have it look like "doll hair". But, I think with some styling and products, I'm sure a more talented person than I could pull off something pretty impressive.

I'm still not going to be a big fan of the hair color, though. It's very unnatural. Sort of a maroon color. Something closer to brown or to a real red-head's hair color would have worked nicely.

Moving on, and getting all the gear out, I finally got a good look at what she was going to be wearing and the quality of said gear.

It's hard to complain about TH gear. From their plastic items to their cloth gear, HT usually does such an amazing job on each and every piece. And there are some really nice pieces include with this set.

The uniform fits her fairly well. No complaints with in that area. There were a few more loose threads than what her uniform that what I'm used to on a HT figure, but a quick snip of the scissors took care of those.

Her plate-carrier vest is simple, but well done. Although, if you look inside, you'll find a few pieces of cardboard rather than an actual ceramic plate. That didn't bother me, but it may bother others.

Moving on to some of her other gear, the pistol is nice, but not as nice as the one that came with the recent HT Brits. Unfortunately, the slide on this on comes off rather easily-- especially when retrieving it from the holster. But, honestly, small points of complaint, at best.

I do like the knife quite bit. She also comes with a radio, small flashlight, gas mask bag (no mask), and pistol mags and pouches. I know the mag pouches are true to their 1:1 counter-parts, but at this scale, it's just impossible to get the velcro the stick. But that goes for every company that's done this style, so far.

The vest is very nice. It has a few pre-filled pouches and two mag pouches for the P-90 mags. It is a bit of a tight squeeze getting in on her small frame, so I don't believe that it would fit on a male figure. Not a detractor-- just a head's up for those who may want to use this vest on a male bash.

One of the nicer piece of the whole lot actually ends up being the most frustrating and useless. The jacket is NICE. Real nice. The texture, details, zippers-- all beautiful! One of the better jackets I've handled.

Every zipper works-- although the pocket behind it may not. The problem is that the jacket is way too enormous for the female figure!! I can't honestly believe that is was made to go with the figure, originally. She is swimming in this thing and it looks quite ridiculous on her.

She looks fat and has no neck. It's just sad, really. And the arms are way longer than her own arms. So, if you put it on as it's designed to be, the sleeves actually push the hands off their posts and it becomes nothing but frustrating. A nice addition to this figure, as I'm sure it needed something to "beef" it up to HT's usual standards, but the jacket is pretty much useless on this figure.

It does fit pretty nicely on a male figure, though.

But, getting back to where I left off with the figure itself, I was pretty happy with it for the most part.

The body has a rubberized torso so her mid-section bits are a bit more "realistic" than the standard fare. But the rubber torso also helps to hide many additional joints in the neck and ribcage area! This is a GREAT IDEA!

To keep her from looking like a monster with her clothing off, she doesn't have the full articulation of HT's male body-- but I think they've made the perfect compromise of both looks and articulation. A great figure. Very happy with it.

But-- and there's always a "but", ain't there? But--!

Well, let's just see if you notice. What's wrong with this figure.

That's right-- she has no extra set of BARE hands! You're stuck with the military gloves!!! That cuts down on kitbash potential for this body A LOT!! And what a completely simple thing it would have been for HT to include them!! There's really just no excuse.

Especially when they actually gave this figure REAL feet and REAL boots!! That's right-- the one major hiccup on HT's figure-- those darn old school PLASTIC boots have been fixed here on what appears to be a pair of nice black Oakleys. Why doesn't HT do this with all their figures? The boots are great! Sturdy, highly-detailed-- just awesome boots! Let's get going and give all your figures cloth boots now, HT!

And, even though they're a bit "shaped", I like how the female feet look. She has a bit of an arch.

Let's move back to our Agent's noggin.

She comes with a ball cap. So far, only ACE has done a ball cap in 1/6 that I like-- and the same detractors that keep from from liking any other 1/6 ball caps show themselves here again. The cap is too wide and shallow. It's all ball cap, not a yammilka. It needs to fit down on her head, not just rest on top. And there's too much wiggle room and width on the hat, even at it's tightest setting.
    Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Review Continued...

Okay, so I've been hitting on a few detractors on this piece. So, what the shining light? Well, I have come to believe, with the fix of their scale, that HT's weapons are the best in the biz. And the same goes here. The P90 is breath-taking!

Not only are all the details there-- like the scope, laser-light and mag-light-- but the plastic is strong and of the best quality. Maybe others notice this, too, but I'm not a fan of cheap feeling materials on my figures. I don't want to spend 100+ dollars on a figure and see all the glaringly obvious places you cut corners on the figure. And one of those cuts-- especially in today's times with oil being what's it's been-- is in the quality of the plastic. But, HT hasn't budged an inch. The quality here is outstanding. (Although my P90 came broken!!! I had to glue the suppressor on!)

So, let's get all the gear on her and see how she looks...

NICE!! She looks pretty good! There is a bit of a delicate feel over-all to her, but that's just due to her slim arms and frame.

And how does she look with the jacket on--?

HORRIBLE!!! She looks horrible. And she's lost about 80% of her upper mobility. Not good. Sadly, in the end, you will NOT get the figure to look as awesome as she does on the box. You'll need to do a bit of settling with this one...

But, without the jacket-- and with all her other gear on-- I think she looks pretty darn cool!!

So, if you just want parts and pieces, or you're a "the glass is half-full" kinda collector, you should be fairly satisfied with this one. Not one of HT best, but enough gems in this set to make it worth-while in the end.
    Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

Re: Another Stinny Review: Hot Toys US Secret Service (ERT) Female Version

Cracking review

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Can you use the hands of the other HT figures (Elizabeth Scwann or Ripley) for this one, in case there are loose hands found somewhere out there? Or, maybe hand sets from other brands?

Thanks for the review!

Great detailed review!

How would the Female jacket fit on a male figure ? would it be nice & snug ?

"an 11 week college for the phoney tough and the crazy brave.."

Quote Originally Posted by jlg1md View Post
    Can you use the hands of the other HT figures (Elizabeth Scwann or Ripley) for this one, in case there are loose hands found somewhere out there? Or, maybe hand sets from other brands?
    Yah there's a Ripley all in pieces on Ebay right now
    Alumnus Major Tommy Taylor's Jump and Dive Club

Thank you for the great review but why oh why did they use that weird hair color for a Secret Service agent? Dancer, yes. Agent no.

Thanks for the review, ive bought a few Loose Parts, Body, BDU and Boots. Your review makes me feel good about the purchase
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Faaaaaaantastic!!!! I is so jealous!! Greatwork, nice to see something more then an all sweetness and light review. Glad you gave us the complete story, as some reviews lately seem to have been damn near paid for by the manufacturers themselves.

Keep it up John, that's a review others could use as an example of true member service.

Clay

A helpful review as always.
    Paul

I like the new torso "sleeve" since it gives her a bit more feminine look than the earlier "beer and bananas diet" body.
    OK, so where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

But the rubber torso also helps to hide many additional joints in the neck and ribcage area! This is a GREAT IDEA!
    you can actually pose the joints under the torso "skin"? thats cool. ive never had a HT female body before and this makes me want to get one even more. excellent review.

Excellent review, Stinny!! I ordered the blonde version, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Got some ideas on bashing parts together for a couple different figures using the gear and the figure itself. And man, that P90 is pure awesome-ness...

I'm sold!

Stinny - Where did you get yours from? I've been waiting a long time for Cotswald to get them in... I want her NOW!
    got privilege?

Thanks for the excellent review as ever. Feel better now about mine thats on its way!! Just received the male version today and I am very pleased with it.

Great review John. One of my fav boxsets in recent time indeed.

Another Great review. Very detailed pics. Keep the reviews coming Stinny. Look forward to the next one.

Gotta get me one of those 5.11 3 in one parkas... Looks awesome, and I love my 1:1.
    "I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir." Private Dexter Grif, Red Army, Red vs. Blue
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Cool review. Thanks.

Might wait for the Blonde LE one, hair colour just seems odd. Not quite dark enough to be auburn

The new body looks good, and the posable body under the rubber torso is a great idea.

I have to agree on the bare hands things. The figures come with beets and feet, so why not gloves and hands. The females are no different. I think the Ripleys come with the fingerless gloved hands. The Elizabeth Swann should be a good option if the wrist pegs fit.

The P90 is a nice gun, but I think there are too many goodies on it. An EOTech would make more sense than the Aimpoint (which is on backwards by the way). A small concealable weapon like that suddenly becomes really bulky with all the extras. Just seems odd to me. Maybe a newer smaller light and laser setup (newer mold) would make it not so buky looking.

I think it's a pretty good figure. Even if you can't use all the stuff or it looks funny.

Great review Stinny! I might try to get one now

awesome review man!

Interesting figure,

Pity the gear was poor, you'd think they'd do more to exploit the potential of the body. The HS was a little odd too, she reminds me of a hung over Liz Hurley.

CHEERS!

Amen is offline 蝦餃、烧賣、春卷、糥米鷄

thanx for share

the body does look like the swat 3.0. except with bigger boobs mold.
    what sucks, the swat female 3.0 ALSO come with the same gloves.

thank you for the reviews. makes me want to get one of these. the weapon is a killer

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great review bro but I noticed that the aimpoint on that P90 is on backwards.
    SFC MAG
    4/10 BDE MED OPS
    Ft. Polk, LA 71459

Not bad at all, though i have a bit of trouble with the look of rooted hair. to 'doll' like for me. Maybe if it could bt tightly tied back out of the way or something....
    I do NOT play with my toys!

However I occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical combat dynamics.

Beaut review , she looks like Uma Thumann