help with painting African American head sculpt (colors, etc)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: help with painting African American head sculpt (colors, etc)

help with painting African American head sculpt (colors, etc)

I am about to attempt my first headsculpt painting, and I've read the great tutorials here at OSW, but I am wondering about color paints to buy for an African American skin tone.

If anyone has done an AA paint before, what colors did you use? I currently have NO paints, but do have pastels for shading. The head is a Will Smith resin cast, and I'm guessing acrylics will work OK on that medium?

Thanks in advance.
    "Nothing is more frustrating than piloting concentrated adrenaline in a sea of buzzkill."

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I use a mix of burnt umber, raw umber(the same amount of both), a touch of black, and add white to get the skin color that you want.

Here is one that I did.
    [IMG][/IMG]

You can add more white to get a lighter skin tone. I don't know what colors to tell you for shading.

Re: help with painting African American head sculpt (colors, etc)

I used water soluble oil paints for skin tones: titanium white, yellow ochre, raw sienna, and burnt sienna and midnight black.

For all my sculpts I make four basic flesh types:

The basic flesh tone: 1 part yellow ochre, 1 part raw sienna, 2 parts burnt sienna, 6 parts titanium white
    To get Asian tones: mix equal parts of yellow ochre to the basic flesh tone
    To get AmerIndian: mix equal parts of yellow ochre, burnt sienna, the basic flesh tone
    To get Black: mix one a touch the brush on midnight black about five times the amount of the basic flesh tone

These are either mixed with titanium white or diluted and applied for shading.

So to paint a Blade head, I used the AmerIndian tone for the base layer. Then, I shaded the crevices of the sculpt with the black tone and highlighted the sculpt with Titanium white and the Asian skin tone.

To paint an Asian Odd Job head--- more yellow, I used the Titanium white as a base layer. Shaded it with a mix of diluted Black and Asian skin tones. Then applied highlights using varying amounts of Titanium White and the Asian skin tone and the Amerindian tones.

To paint a Caucausian Carl Kolchak--- more pinkish, I applied a base layer of AmerIndian skin tone. Then applied a thin wash of Titanium white. Afterwards, I highlighted using a mix of the Titanium White and the basic flesh tone. Then, I did a dilute wash with the Asian skin tone until I got the look I wanted.