Camo Painting for face and hands, and weathering of gear

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Camo Painting for face and hands, and weathering of gear

Camo Painting for face and hands, and weathering of gear

Hey guys, I need some advice on face and hand camo painting and weathering. I know that under the tips and tricks are really good tutorials, but I got some questions about it and hope you guys could help me out.

I was hoping to do some camo painting for my figures. I thought of doing the style KMok15 did, with a chalk pastel base, followed by acrylic. Is it alright to use a small paintbrush, or is it imperative to get an airbrush?

Also, is it necessary to strip the original HS paint with Acetone? Could the camo paint still sink in if I did not strip off the original HS paint? Also, will acrylic and chalk pastel paint run if water goes over them?

Also, is there any tips on weathering uniforms, gear, weapons, etc? I thought of rubbing all my uniformz with real soil to dirty them up, but I'm not sure about the painting aspect of weathering. You know, making a weapon look scratched up and soiled, web gear with dirty brown stains, and stuff like that.

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Watered down acrylics make for great camo, I would suggest using the small brush, no real camo will look as neatly applied as and airbrush. You can do this straight over the HS if you are careful, and acrylics should not run.
    Mark

No need airbrush. Paint brush would do fine.

Stripping with acetone enables the pastel to sink in. W/o stripping iwon't be too effective. Then again it depends on your HS. BBi HS takes to the pastels very well. DML doesn't.

Weathering gear and weapons need to ask Tang. He has done some very remarkable weathering to equipment IMO.
    September 08, August 09

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey guys,

thanks so much for the advice. I plan to paint at least one DML HS, the others BBI. So, I guess it would be best to use only acrylic for the DML one, then both chalk pastel and acrylic for the BBI's? Without stripping with Acetone I mean. I don't think I am experienced enough to strip and then repaint HS's. The painting of eyes look kinda tough.

Once again, thanks so much!