One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

REVIEW: Hot Toys Hot Angel SHE-PREDATOR, MACHIKO

35K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  dannyray1 
#1 ·
Originally a character in 1992 comic series Alien versus Predator, Machiko Noguchi - a female human forced to fight for her survival alongside a clan of Predators against an infestation of Aliens - has now been brought to life in action figure form thanks to Hot Toys.

A member of the Movie Masterpiece series and the initial figure in the company new Hot Angel series, there's something special about this piece as many fans - not just die-hard Aliens vs. Predator collectors - will appreciate the detail, sculpting, articulation and sheer sexiness of this figure. In fact, there's little doubt SHE-PREDATOR, MACHIKO could be considered one of the finest 1:6 scale figures of 2008…

PACKAGING:
Packaged in a similar fashion to previously released Movie Masterpiece figures, the figure comes in a detailed slipcover window box featuring attractive graphics and photography.

Removing the slipcover reveals an impressive diecut window box in which the figure, accessories, parts and pieces remain housed in two form-fitting plastic trays.

The plastic trays ensure the figure reaches fans' display shelves and keeps each part safe and sound while the box - fulfilling it's duty - provides eye candy for the potential fan thanks to the detailed tribal graphics and eye-catching colors and photography.

SCULPTING:
Featuring the impressive sculpting for which Hot Toys is known, this is one figure fans of detail will appreciate. Considering the amount of work that went into making this piece (which can be seen HERE), those who appreciate action figure artwork will want to at least consider adding this figure to their collection.

Depending on who you speak with, the figure's face sculpt reflects either actress Angelina Jolie or Natalie Portman (see comparison photos HERE), neither of whom are unattractive.

The hair, reminiscent of the dreads worn by the Predators, and the clan scar, featured in both the AvP film and comics, are included as are a number of other minute details, including pouty lips, and even sculpted nipples on the breasts.

Likewise, the armor - including chest plate, thigh, tail and groin plates, gauntlets, and knee-high high-heel boots (Machiko is a fashionista, below) - impresses; featuring pitted battle scars and scroll work, the armor and netting cover this warrior woman just enough to keep her presentable.

PAINT APPLICATION:
From her deep maroon lips and shadowed eyes to her metallic battle armor and the red, bone and black necklace around her neck, Machiko comes beautifully colored and features a variety of detail in the color palate similar to the previously released Predators. The silver, gold, brown and black featured throughout the figure allow Machiko to fit into the Predator collection of figures while her flesh skin tones set her apart.

ARTICULATION:
Based on a new female body created specifically for the Hot Angel line, Hot Toys has included an impressive amount of articulation, including a ball-joint neck, pin/pivot wrists, ball/pivot shoulders, cut biceps, double-jointed elbows, pin/swivel knees, a cut/pivot waist, cut thighs, ball/pin hips, and pin/pivot ankles.

While the armor and outfit restricts the shoulder, waist , thigh and knee articulation, a variety of battle poses can be accomplished which allow fans to display Machiko ready for action.

ACCESSORIES:
Machiko includes the regular Predator "tools of the trade" - telescoping combi-spear, bio-mask, wrist blades, and shoulder-mounted plasma cannon - as well as a number of unique weapons: an ornate sword and scabbard and an Alien dome shield (below) featuring minute detailing. Likewise, Machiko also includes a number of smaller accessories, including two blue blades and a small utility knife which hang from her waist.

The figure also includes a detailed display base which not only helps the figure stand, but also puts the character into a unique situation as the base features a Predator skull (above).

COST AND OVERALL IMPRESSION:
At $160, Machiko's not a cheap date. That said, considering she's a unique addition to the previously released Predator figure Movie Masterpiece series and the launch figure in the new Hot Toys Hot Angel line makes Machiko something of a solid investment. Considering many of the previously released Hot Toys Predator figures sell for twice their original retail price; and we'll just say there's little doubt you'll lose money adding this beauty to your collection.

With a gorgeous face, ornate, detailed armor and accessories, an attractive display base, and impressive articulation, Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece SHE-PREDATOR, MACHIKO makes for a fine addition to any sci-fi fan, female figure fan or AvP fan's collection.

Click HERE to see over 110 photos of this impressive figure!

See less See more
#4 ·
The Alien head sheild looks simply amazing, so much detail!!
One question tho, why have they packaged her in an AvP box, when she wasnt in that film?? I know the black woman was meant to be an o'mage to her but its not her.
Looks like they're trying to get the last few pennies out of the licenses (dont blame them really). Looks cool, but i wont be buying.

#7 ·
I guess this is me -> "many fans – not just die-hard Aliens vs. Predator collectors – will appreciate the detail, sculpting, articulation and sheer sexiness of this figure". I'm really happy to have this figure in my collection. Such an impressive looking figure. I chose not to hang the blue darts from holes in the armor so that I retained the option for the figure to hold the darts. Currently, I have them hanging off the rear of the right hip armor. I plan to use some thin wire to attach a hook to each of the loops on the armor so that I can hang these from the proper location.

The only problem with getting this figure is that now I want a smooth headed alien figure to display with her. I don't want the Dog Alien since I prefer the darker look. How is the AVP figure? It was the first in the line wasn't it? Maybe I should just wait for one from Alien.

#9 ·
I just got my Machiko last week. Great sculpt but there are a few things that bug me and I'm not sure if this happened to most of you who own one.

Her chest armour keeps falling down revealing her right breast. Very often I have to readjust and not play with the poses too much. Thinking of adding some padding into her armour so it grips better to the figure.

Two parts have fallen apart, the spring on her shield and one of the hair strands. Not a biggie since I can fix those with a tab of superglue. I guess I should feel lucky that it didn't come with major defects like broke joints or paint smudges.

Her staff is pretty loose. When I tilt vertically the lower part likes to slide down, so I can never display the staff on the back without looking silly. I guess I'll find a way to tighten the parts.

All in all it's a very impressive figure from Hot Toys.

#10 ·
Thanks for the review Jess, and I agree she is very nice. I didn't buy her because she seemed based off partly the movie and the comic. I think in the comic she was japanese, if memory serves correct? I didn't really like the movies, the director and writers ofthose should be whipped.

Also I'm sort of out of the Predator nostalgia for the moment so I'll probably kick myself when I get back into it for not buying this as it really is a nice looking figure.

#16 ·
I really like the head sculpt on this figure. I'd really like an extra head to put on my Appleseed Deunan Knute figure. (Too bad Hot Toys isn't in the business of selling spare parts.) Beings both figures are made by the same company, I'd assume the neck connections are compatible. Would anyone know for sure?

#17 ·
The neck connections are not compatible and they dont look right swaping heads. Deunan's anime head is quite smaller than most 1/6 female. Deunan's figure/body is unique (As in the only one released by Hot Toys using it). Machiko's head size is compatible with CG/BBI's, but not the neck connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.