End of an era, my image hosting site goes dark 2/28

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: End of an era, my image hosting site goes dark 2/28

End of an era, my image hosting site goes dark 2/28

Got notice a couple of days ago that the site I used to host my images in all forums, Picturetrail, will be no more at the end of February.
    I have been posting my images with them since 2004 and have a total of 12,783 images hosted with them. Not all were hot linked to posts in these forums, but all the images in the forums are hosted with them.
    Before that I had used Clubphoto from 2002 to 2004 and when that went dark it was a nuisance.
    I was able to get all my images from them, and I had most of them posted in various places after a fearsome ransomware attack five years ago last week, in which I lost about 40,000 files including spread sheets, photos, reference files etc.
    I knew this was coming as who hosts images any longer. Who orders prints from these outfits? (Which was one of the original income producing services of these platforms) Everything in online and now without hosting and posting on facebook being so much easier(no need to reduce the images or host them) it will make no sense to post in forums like this one.
    Do you guys remember the maniac in the UK forum, he would delete a post if an image was 1 pixel over 600x800! jajajajaja! And of course he would delete apost just because he felt like it too! Oh my, getting old.
    I will still be coming by as long as this place exists.
    If anyone wants to download or save any of my images for your own use or for whatever, you can visit my Picturetrail accounts.
    There are three different accounts

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums, Photo Slideshows
    in the "member name" box, put my name as shown below:

egonzinc
    egonzinc2
    egonzinc3

more or less chronological, so the oldest are in the egonzinc and so on...

This service was not cheap, but I bet I was the only madman still paying for the hosting of my images.
    November 2005

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: End of an era, my image hosting site goes dark 2/28

Not the only madman : I'm still paying $200 annually to keep all my Photobucket images available, on this and the other remaining Forums. Too much trouble to move them all ( like you , I have thousands ), and I've had enough trouble just putting them there in the first place, let alone moving them to a cheaper Service.
    Eventually I will stop paying and they will all go dark, but not for a year or two perhaps.
    But I don't like Facebook.

It is the end of an era and it is sad.
    Your diorama photos are so awesome, it's always a great pleasure to see them and see them again. They are unique
    The only good thing is that by looking at your accounts, I just discovered the images of the creation of your yard

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, that is sobering. Like Tony and others, the Photobucket changeup caught me off guard, but we persist. Until they lowered their pricing, I thought my photos were gone, too, so I sympathize.
    I already have a large file on my computer of your work, and will go look for more. Your figures have and will continue to be a great inspiration for me, and I have a paint solution on my bench, which I just moved to a larger jar, because I use it so much:

I think that about says it. Thanks!
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

That sucks, and sad they aren't happy by making money on the advertising they slip in on photos on so many hosting services.

Try this one, at least they are reasonable in price.

Flickr Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Barton View Post
    Not the only madman : I'm still paying $200 annually to keep all my Photobucket images available, on this and the other remaining Forums. Too much trouble to move them all ( like you , I have thousands ), and I've had enough trouble just putting them there in the first place, let alone moving them to a cheaper Service.
    Eventually I will stop paying and they will all go dark, but not for a year or two perhaps.
    But I don't like Facebook.
    If you can, save a few very good ones for posterity!

Why don't some of us organize to buy a domain and use it just to host pictures?

Sorry. Such a simple suggestion, but likely mired with petty issues to be worthwhile.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)