Buy for $25.00 and expect to immediately sell for $100.00+ ???

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Buy for $25.00 and expect to immediately sell for $100.00+ ???

Buy for $25.00 and expect to immediately sell for $100.00+ ???

See subject.

A retailer many of us know had a heck of a Christmas sale in December deeply discounting $100.00 to $125.00 boxed figures long sold out from an infamous brand for $25.00 each.

I know many purchased them for some really good choice loose parts.

Now . . . if one takes a look on eBay . . . one can see a slight deluge of those same figures listed for $100.00 to $250.00 each with some said or unsaid expectation the sellers can sell them for that much.

Yeah right.

They're in for a very rude and well earned awakening.

I can appreciate times of profiteering. I do, but it's a matter of nuances.

I sometimes believe there are more idiot/stupid collectors without a clue in the 1:6 hobby than 1:6 collectors with common sense.

Of course, I digress.

On an unrelated matter, I picked up three 21SCTCT carded modern uniform sets for $36.00 shipped from a best offer deal when the seller wanted $35.00 a piece for them. I guess the seller wanted the $ considering no one wanted to buy them at the price originally set.

It pays to be patient.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Buy for $25.00 and expect to immediately sell for $100.00+ ???

It seems to me that the product is actually worth $125 and that it was only on sale for a limited time. Anyone can sell any thing they like for any price they like. The buyer needs to decide how much it is worth to them. If you don't like the price, then don't buy it.

Some buyers are prepared to pay more from a seller who has a good customer service record. Some buyers are prepared to pay more for a product that is in stock right now and don't have to wait for the next shipment. Some buyers are prepared to pay more for a product if the seller is in their local area. Some buyers are prepared to pay more for a product because it is in a better-looking box. If a seller can sell a product for $200 but you can only get $100 for the same thing, then there is something wrong with you, not the other seller.
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by shazzdan View Post
    It seems to me that the product is actually worth $125 and that it was only on sale for a limited time. Anyone can sell any thing they like for any price they like. The buyer needs to decide how much it is worth to them. If you don't like the price, then don't buy it.

Some buyers are prepared to pay more from a seller who has a good customer service record. Some buyers are prepared to pay more for a product that is in stock right now and don't have to wait for the next shipment. Some buyers are prepared to pay more for a product if the seller is in their local area. Some buyers are prepared to pay more for a product because it is in a better-looking box. If a seller can sell a product for $200 but you can only get $100 for the same thing, then there is something wrong with you, not the other seller.
    --

Interesting perspective and valid.

Personally speaking . . . it comes to price within reason and not necessarily or solely based on a seller.

Of course, I do have preferences with regards to vendors (with a proven track record) like many of us do.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

People are prepared to pay a premium if the seller offers what they want. It could be a trendy brand name. It could be a track record of good customer service. It could be next-day delivery. A good seller works out what his buyers want and gives it to them. A bad seller thinks that price is all his customers care about, so he dumps his products at a discount and can't afford to stay in business.

In your above example that seller should not have dumped their products at $25 before trying other options. Such as parting them out and selling them piecemeal. Or moving to a different venue to sell them. Or putting them in a different box and rebranding them. Or trying a different marketing campaign. Or bundling them with something that was more popular. Discounting is lazy and sloppy.
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

If the retailer couldn't get rid of them unless it was a clearance price, someone selling as an individual sale, marked up item is going to have a hard time doing the same. Best of luck if they can make it happen, but it's not too likely.

Sometimes shelf warmers are just that. Dead stock that has to be greatly marked down because the stock just doesn't move. It's that double edged sword of retail sales. Even parted out, the seller would probably sitting on certain parts for another extended period of time, even longer than the initial full boxed item time. Retailers need product turnover, and sometimes the blowout s the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by cdn_rhino View Post
    If the retailer couldn't get rid of them unless it was a clearance price, someone selling as an individual sale, marked up item is going to have a hard time doing the same. Best of luck if they can make it happen, but it's not too likely.

Sometimes shelf warmers are just that. Dead stock that has to be greatly marked down because the stock just doesn't move. It's that double edged sword of retail sales. Even parted out, the seller would probably sitting on certain parts for another extended period of time, even longer than the initial full boxed item time. Retailers need product turnover, and sometimes the blowout s the best option.
    --

True, but over time . . . even shelf warmers eventually disappear / dry up in terms of availability because much is either "consumed" or simply stored away and there are new and old collectors who suddenly need to find them for whatever and the prices slowly increase.

We've all witnessed examples of such.

Most retailers must move items due to retail space if they do not sale within a certain time period. Often the discounted price still allows them to make a marginal profit. I have held items purchased discounted years ago and then sell them to double my money. It helps offset new buys. It's a free market and if someone wants it for the price it's a win win. People get angry but just because they failed to shop when the item/figure was released or discounted is in their own fault. I was recently asked why I had a custom figure for sale on ebay for a ridiculous price. I replied because I was tired of people trying to low ball me and if someone really wanted the figure they could either buy it or offer a fare price. i.e. listed at $299.00 with custom one off head etc. The offers were $50.00. You cannot insult the customer but really do people want to insult the seller. Ebay is a free market. I constantly search to find good deals. If I see something overpriced I move on and I for sure try to resist insulting sellers by offering ridiculous low prices.

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)

My thing is overly inflated prices like certain sellers and vendors have on their boxed kits and loose parts. Most of this stuff cost only a few dollars to make in China. I remember back in the hey day of this forum most of us didn't mind paying $50 or so for a nice figure or maybe even a $100 for one of Hot Toys exclusive kits but now $250+ for a box figure seems to be average rate. I don't fault buyers because it is a niche market and to get the cool guy stuff some of us are willing to fork it over. I believe in making a profit to a degree if you sell but I think some people are just straight up gougers and look to rip off the buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by saw249man View Post
    My thing is overly inflated prices like certain sellers and vendors have on their boxed kits and loose parts. Most of this stuff cost only a few dollars to make in China. I remember back in the hey day of this forum most of us didn't mind paying $50 or so for a nice figure or maybe even a $100 for one of Hot Toys exclusive kits but now $250+ for a box figure seems to be average rate. I don't fault buyers because it is a niche market and to get the cool guy stuff some of us are willing to fork it over. I believe in making a profit to a degree if you sell but I think some people are just straight up gougers and look to rip off the buyers.
    --

IMHO . . . "overpricing" / "price gouging" is as follows.

1. The ignorance, obliviousness, and stupidity of the seller setting an astronomical price on whatever.

2. Pure and simple greed. Not necessarily an genuine or true intent to rip off, but simply greed.

3. A real and true intent to rip off / scam gullible / naive buyers.

The typical MSRP for a NON-HOT TOYS boxed figure is $150.00 to $175.00 USD. If it's a HT boxed figure, then $200.00 to $275.00 USD or more.

Surprisingly, there are still some worthwhile boxed offerings ranging from $80.00 to $150.00. However, design and quality varies depending on the 1:6 brand.

Old "new" stock ranging from shelf warmers to a variety of oddities varying ranging from dirt cheap to overpriced depending on the seller and the greed factor.

Personally speaking, I have an opportunity to pick up 10+ sets of four figures from late 90s/early 2000s for even $1K shipped. Of the four, two are rather difficult to procure and unique in terms of rarity. The other two, not so much asides from kit bash fodder and utilization of the body that is suitable for 1:6 customization / kit bashing.

Yes. $1K is A LOT of money to spend on old figures let alone new figures, but I tend to spend $ on both and I've been a very long dry spell procurement wise for three years so I'm playing catch up and treating myself.

I believe anyone who's been in this 1:6 scale hobby long enough should already have the common sense to spot the difference between a fair seller, a price gouger and straight scammer.

For the newbies- they just have to learn and learn the hard way.
    Funny though, in my experience selling it's the newbies who often have money to burn.

I don't sell on EBay anymore, but when I did years ago I often based the price of my high-end items on rarity and availability.
    Haggling is fine, up to a point.

Here's a typical convo between me and buyers:

Buyer: "Why is this plastic helmet $40? The metal ones are only $15."

Me: "It's a rare item, and it's my last one."

Buyer: "You're price gouging, it's bullcrap!"

Me: "Well, I tell you what- find me that exact similar item on sale and see how much they charge."

Large volume sellers have more room to maneuver. They're more concerned with moving merchandise and would not care a bit if the items they sold you for cheap are re-sold for 3X the price- it's out of their hands.

Someone's excess baggage are another collector/seller's cash cow.

It's really simple: You want it? Pay for it. Someone else surely will.