1/6 DRAGON returns!!!

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: 1/6 DRAGON returns!!!

1/6 DRAGON returns!!!

DML posted this on their facebook this morning, if true, WOW!!!
    1/6 DRAGON returns!!!-20200911_082748-jpg

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: 1/6 DRAGON returns!!!

That are great news. I´m curious what happens in the future.
    I like what I do and I do what I like!

Modern?
    WW2?
    Licensed Movie / TV / Comic Characters?

Either way I hope they step up the quality and diversify their line up to compete with the likes of DAM Toys, HOT TOYS, etc.
    That's my story and I'm STICKING to it!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I seriously doubt that they stepped it up like DamToys, E&S, or SS... Bbi tried to make a come back with the SEAL Team Six : Devgru - Red Team... Well needless to say... That flopped. There are much more better quality now a days then back when. I am not saying that Dragon will flop...I mean they had some of the best plastic weapons still to this day! But everything else is below par compared to today's offerings... Let's hope they really, REALLY STEPPED IT UP...
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait

On the other side, a lot of folks appreciated Dragon for their affordability. They can't go for the super high quality and still keep the price down. They had a wider selection of figures, but they had to cut some corners. If they did start making super detailed figures, it would have to be on a much more limited scale. A lot of the comments I've seen here since they stopped producing 1/6 was from the people who can't shell out $200 - $300 for an individual figure. Some said they were getting out of the hobby because no one was making a good (not great) figure they could afford. Dragon figures had their faults, but a there are many in this hobby who love to build a figure UP, maybe a little at a time, and are even satisfied to be able to own a few as they are. I guess my point is, we can't have it both ways. I wish them well because they led the way.
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

I suspect reissues of their vehicles and diorama-ish gear kits may come first, to test the waters. That would be their lowest risk vs greatest return, because they can re-use existing molds etc. and that side of their output was the strongest, much of it still having little or no current competition. And collectors who are buying DAM or HT figures will buy accessories from Dragon without necessarily transfering their brand allegiance.

Similarly the goods and weapons that come as part of boxed figures need a bit of upgrade, but they can do that, still taking advantage of their existing molds which were good but maybe using better plastic and doing more detailed paint jobs.

The head sculpts tho (however fondly we may remember some of them) really need a big upgrade to be viable in 2020. Then again we have seen customizers do wonders with the repaints of old Dragon sculpts. So maybe if they accept that the paint ops budget has to quadruple from the old days, they can re-use underlying headsculpts after all. Interesting challenge for them, good news for us.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Good news

It's still on my want list--somehow I missed it a few years back--but their 10th anniversary Hans figure was a neat upgrade of their first figure, WWII German Hans: Dragon Hans Leiter - 10th Anniversary 70733

I think it would be neat to see more upgrades/re-releases of some of their more well known figures along those lines.

It would also be good if they take a bit further and release a new figure body, more realistic headsculpts, etc.
    Trade References
    Items for Sale on Ebay - PM me for OSW Member Discount

I am very excited to hear this news. Dragon was such a big contributor to this hobby from the start. The other things like the Sherman, Panzer II, 1/4 ton Jeep and other 1/6th vehicles have given us some good projects to work on. I think we would all like to see Dragon offering more 1/6th figures and gear.

If they were to offer another 1/6th scale tank I would like to see a Panzer 38t ausf. B or C version.

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian

I hope they reissue the modern stuff and produce new products. To this day I'm still waiting for the 1/6 version of their weapons series

xavier

Can’t wait to see what their return offering is going to be. I personally hope it’s a WWII American. We’ll see.

fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait

Quote Originally Posted by Davinator65 View Post
    They are rehashing some of their stuff! Just as I expected...Sad... Got this off Armed Figures
    Well, even less and worse than rehashing -- just selling off existing old stock apparently. It was always too much to hope that they'd create something new from scratch, at least at first, but it sounded like they were going to at least be doing some manufacturing in 2020 making new copies of old items. Then they would have been developing active relationships with a current factory, current distributors, etc. with room to grow. But these little packets of old warehouse bits, with heads that don't fit current bodies, could not possibly be so financially successful that they would encourage DML to get back in the game. Yeah...Sad...
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Based on there 1/35 SAS jeep kits, it would be great if they made conversion kits for 1/6. Start with a desert SAS jeep and one for NW Europe. Weapons/mounts, british fuel cans, racks, tanks for backseat, etc. to allow for conversions of DML, Hasbro, SOTW, 21C jeeps.

The Action Gear sets have been available for quite a few months now and as suspected, they are all rereleases of old sets with headscuplts but minus the bodies. I first saw them discussed in some Facebook groups a few months ago. It's not necessarily a bad thing as some of the items they are rereleasing have been mainstays for WW2 collectors. I'll also say that some of the last figures that dragon released around 2011-2012 actually had some very decent sculpts with quite good paint aps. They won't stand up to newer sculpts by DiD or DAM but they won't look sorely out of place alongside figures with those sculpts either. The Falklands 30th anniversary figures actually had very nice sculpts and I'm still trying to acquire the few that I don't have.

The price will be the deciding factor on whether they sell or not and from what I've found, the prices range from about $40 for the simplest set to about $120 for the most complex set, with most sets falling closer to the middle range ($65-75) of those two prices. Some of those prices might be reasonable but for some the original boxed sets can be found on eBay or from other online sellers for the same price or much less. Now considering that the AG sets have actually been out awhile, it's possible that Dragon has some new plans or that they've simply decided to start advertising the AG sets so that people are aware that they are out there. By my count they have released 28 AG sets so far. The Cyber Hobby website seems to have a complete list of what's been released but many of them are already out of stock. The prices are in $HKD so you'll need to use an online currency converter to get the price in other currencies.

Action Gear – Cyber Hobby

Alternatively you can find some but not all of the sets here:

New Releases in Dragon Action Figures
    Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

Looking forward to see what they do.

It's not a bad concept since bodies are floating around very cheap. Would it be too much to ask for an actual card, but I guess the little cases can be reused...we'll see how many start popping up in the US.
    Trade References

It was mentioned above that Dragon Heads don't fit current bodies. That might be true for current bodies produced by larger manufacturers like DiD, DAM and Soldier Story but there are good quality bodies readily available for less than $20 that will take Dragon sculpts. For many other bodies without integrated necks, there are also adapters that will allow Dragon sculpts to fit on those. The bodies appear to be made by Very Hot and possibly a few other manufacturers. They have been discussed on OSW a number of times and most users have found them to be of good quality. Said bodies can easily be found on eBay by doing a search for "1:6 Narrow Shoulder Body". Just look for the ones that look like the image below. For neck adapters, look at the one that the body in the image below has mounted and look for those that look similar.

Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

Has anyone tried a Dragon uniform on one of those bodies? That body looks like it's taller and has longer limbs than the Dragon figures...

I'm not sure I'm following...the new headsculpts in these sets have a different neck connector style than original DML?

My point was that *Dragon* bodies (including original Adam, Neo Adam, and Adam 3.5) are in plentiful supply at parts sellers and Ebay.

Yes, most of the newer bodies by Ace, Hot Toys (including VHT knock-offs), and Soldier Story are taller and have wider waists and won't fit Dragon clothes, pants especially.

Some of the "slim" versions might work....
    Trade References

Another point re compatibility: the old Dragon bodies had very narrow waists -- more than any other brand, (except Hot Toys Slim which is now super rare and quite expensive). I've tried German and British DML trousers on Soldier Story, Hot Toys, Dam, ZY, and Coo Model bodies and they won't do up.
    "Impossible is just a stage." Chris Hadfield

Since I'm not into WW2 and only find the occasional Dragon set to be of interest, I can't say how well most Dragon clothing fits on different bodies. I do however have several sets of the Dragon British DPM uniforms from the Falklands figures and haven't had any problems using them on most bodies (including the one pictured above) I've tried, except that they are sometimes just a bit tight in the waist. They do button up however as long as I'm not trying to tuck in an undershirt (such as the Norgie sweaters that come with the Brit figures) that's a bit on the thick side. Different uniforms might fit differently though but as mentioned above, Dragon bodies are still quite plentiful and inexpensive.

Handy, and the cost is decent on those sets. Lets see if this recharges them and gets them back in the game. Some slightly less detailed and expensive figures might be just what the hobby needs to inject new life into it again. Not everyone craves the most detailed and expensive bits. These are great for beginners, and those spares being tuned into kits from some of the best offerings Dragon made is quite a nice thing to see.

we will see what they do, but i for one am most excited. DML is one brand you could count on. I hope that they can introduce affordability back to this hobby, and bring offerings that only they could do, like female us soldiers, such as Amy, which i own. actually i'd love an updated amy figure, with better LC2 gear, and a better head and body. the main issue being the hands. we all know DML hands suck, because the pegs suck.
    Last edited by CobraTrooper11; 09-19-2020 at 06:23.
    Hail Cobra!

Quote Originally Posted by CobraTrooper11 View Post
    we will see what they do, but i for one am most excited. DML is one brand you could count on. I hope that they can introduce affordability back to this hobby, and bring offerings that only they could do, like female us soldiers, such as Amy, which i own. actually i'd love an updated amy figure, with better LC2 gear, and a better head and body. the main issue being the hands. we all know DML hands suck, because the pegs suck.
    i use Soldier story hands, they fit very well into the DML arms.

i wish DML would make more model kits or prebuild stuff , especially a ww2 allied AT-gun the 57mm M1/ 6 pounder

judging from the prices for the loose gear kit reissues (minus the Bodies) they have been selling the last couple of months, Prices will definitely go up. The question is if they follow in DiD's footsteps or pretty much do the figures they have been doing before with slight improvements in headsculpts and perhaps a new body. I for one am glad. i'll bet the house it's back to WW2, with some modern....

(3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)