19th Cent. (Old West, ACW, Colonial Wars) ACW Federal & Confederate Sailors & Marines -PHOTOS FIXED!

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: ACW Federal & Confederate Sailors & Marines -PHOTOS FIXED!

ACW Federal & Confederate Sailors & Marines -PHOTOS FIXED!

Last year, I did a commission for the Lincoln Train Museum in Gettysburg. The new owner has a nautical background and wanted naval figures to enhance a display of Civil War naval items. These are generic figures made with Dragon figures and almost entirely Battlegear Toys uniforms and equipment.

The Federal Marine private wears the basic frock coat with white trousers. He is armed with a re-painted SST Model 1861 Springfield Rifle-Musket.

The Federal Sailor (who looks suspiciously like he should be storming a beach on Normandy) is a petty officer His rank insignia was printed for the purpose, and his hat is embroidered with a pattern to identify him to his shipmates who may be shooting from the rigging above during close quarters combat. The BGT shirt has "embroidered" stars and accents on the cape and a lanyard added. The stitching on the shirt shows light in the photo because this was a white BGT shirt that was re-dyed and the trouser's in-seam was sewn to make a bell-bottom flare.

The Confederate Sailor also wears a BGT set, but I traded out the trousers for a white pair, which were also flared. His straw hat was formed from cross-stitch fabric from Michael's and painted. A ribbon and black lining under the brim was added. His cutlass is BGT.

Finally, the Confederate Marine Private is all BGT, except for the Dragon sword bayonet for his British Enfield Rifle, which has Bare Metal Foil on the blade. His ammunition pouch is a BGT artillery Gunner's Pouch as an Enfield pouch.

This is the set displayed at the Museum on Steinwehr Avenue in Gettysburg.

Lincoln Train Museum - General Information - Lincoln Train Museum
    Last edited by markh166; 06-24-2020 at 19:38. Reason: photos don't show
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: ACW Federal & Confederate Sailors & Marines

Sorry for the mix-up. I put [IMG/] at the end of the URL instead of [/IMG]. I'll get smarter when I get older.
    DOH!
    Last edited by markh166; 05-29-2020 at 12:04.
    Mark

Re: ACW Federal & Confederate Sailors & Marines -PHOTOS FIXED!

Hey, great, your figures made it into a museum? Well done Mark.

I never had any Civil War sailors or Marines but I always liked their style.
    I like what I do and I do what I like!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

the fit and finish you achieve on all your figures is top-rate,
    and these are quite literally museum-quality!

Outstanding figures. Dont see to many civil war sailors . That's great they are being displayed in a muesum. I believe its next door to the historic Gettysburg inn

Thank for your comments!
    The Lincoln Train Museum is on Steinwehr Ave., which is actually the Emmitsburg Road. The museum is near the edge of town and shares a parking lot with Friendly's. I originally started displaying them for my friend after he bought the museum, as he got me interested in Gettysburg. He passed away suddenly a couple of years ago, but the new owner is fixing up the building and trying to update the dispalys and create new ones. The main focus is actually on Lincoln's funeral train, and there are a lot of model railroad displays.

Lincoln Train Museum - General Information - Lincoln Train Museum
    Mark

Nicely done, Mark!

These guys look great and good to see them in their display!

Fred