Flagset?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Flagset?

Flagset?

can anyone tell me if flag set is a solid brand? I'm curious about the gear/bodies/weapons if its good quality or not or if the rifles are fragile. Looking for a brand that i don't have to worry about breaking the parts if i want to play with it but also looking for detail and just a solid product. Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Flagset?

They are getting better. The hard plastic bits on a few of the figures vary in quality, not all of them good. The uniform bits that I have bought loose all seem to be decent with no flaws.

As they bring up their quality, the price is probably going up as well.

what about very hot toys they look solid but I've never had any of their stuff

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If comparing between Flagset and Very Hot, go with Flagset. In a ll reality, you'll probably like the Flagset more.

Very Hot was like a Walmart copy of early Hot Toys military figures. Not worth the price at all. Good entry level stuff for sure though. It was lower quality stuff based on a proven brand, and totally knock-off/recast stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cdn_rhino View Post
    If comparing between Flagset and Very Hot, go with Flagset. In a ll reality, you'll probably like the Flagset more.

Very Hot was like a Walmart copy of early Hot Toys military figures. Not worth the price at all. Good entry level stuff for sure though. It was lower quality stuff based on a proven brand, and totally knock-off/recast stuff.
    I wish somebody with more experience chimed in.
    Anyways, I sort of remember discovering Very Hot Toys a long time ago, and noticing (but don't quote me on that) that the years of release were posterior to the years of release of Hot Toys' military line. Quality was also improved, so I sort of assumed that Very Hot actually is a spinoff company, which took over Hot Toys' military line, probably even a property of Howard Chan. They might not even be an independent company, but just a bunch of guys inside Hot Toys who still release something from time to time. Not very often though.

Am I right, anybody?
    m.

Quote Originally Posted by asgardianboy View Post
    I wish somebody with more experience chimed in.
    Anyways, I sort of remember discovering Very Hot Toys a long time ago, and noticing (but don't quote me on that) that the years of release were posterior to the years of release of Hot Toys' military line. Quality was also improved, so I sort of assumed that Very Hot actually is a spinoff company, which took over Hot Toys' military line, probably even a property of Howard Chan. They might not even be an independent company, but just a bunch of guys inside Hot Toys who still release something from time to time. Not very often though.

Am I right, anybody?
    m.
    More experience as in bought complete Flagset figures? No I don't have any full Flagset figures, but I have bought a number of loose parts from each figure so far. I can only comment on what I have from those figures.

Or saying VHT was blatant copies of Hot Toys military figures and gear? When VHT first released sets in 2008 and 2009, they copied HT almost directly, they barely even changed the name. That was during the time when HT was still making military figures, and HT was just getting started on movie figures. VHT was straight up copying HT, and there is plenty of history of that right here on OSW. Just look for the release dates of the earliest VHT sets to see. I also know that because I was buying both brands when that started. When HT stopped with the military figures, VHT continued with theirs, and the quality got marginally better, but it was never on par with HT stuff. They may have taken over after HT left military figures, but they were never as good as HT, even at their best. I've owned both, and VHT is entry level stuff at best, and that's why I ended up selling all the sets I bought. Their later stuff may have been better, but by that point the quality was still not as good as any of the other brands, and they copied other brands as well later on like Soldier Story, DAM Toys, and Easy & Simple. The plastic parts were never molded well, camo patterns were wrong or scaled poorly, sewing was all over the place. Don't get me wrong, the occasional set was okay, and sometimes they got releases done right. But every set seemed to have it's flaws. And they never managed to make it to high end status for 1/6 figures. They kept set prices low because they copied other manufacturers work. Between Dr.Figures and VHT, those two companies made out pretty well copying other manufacture's work, even if the quality did get marginally better over time. The only reason they are still around is that a lot of people loved to be able to get the VHT gear at a lower price than the originals that demanded premium prices. That lower price comes with a sacrifice in quality, and not paying for any rights the original makers had already done.
    Last edited by cdn_rhino; 06-05-2020 at 03:52.

And if you're wondering about Flagset, a lot of their gear started as items made for another brand. A couple figures never got made by some other brand, and Flagset became a brand and sold them as their own to recover the costs of all the manufacturing. The SF and MARSOC sets sold really well both as full figures and loose parts, and that was enough to make a few more figures to get them on the map. Their last 4 figures have done pretty well, and the brand seems to be thriving now as well.

I would rate most of the loose parts I have as average quality or above average quality. That makes them more worthy of purchase than VHT. But you'll pay more for that better quality.

It all depends on what you are after as a buyer as well. VHT is going to be lower priced stuff. Flagset somewhere in the mid to higher range for pricing. At the end of the day, buy what interests you, or what you can afford, and have fun with it. It all depends on what you're looking for out of the hobby.

More experience as in bought complete Flagset figures? No I don't have any full Flagset figures, but I have bought a number of loose parts from each figure so far. I can only comment on what I have from those figures.

Or saying VHT was blatant copies of Hot Toys military figures and gear? When VHT first released sets in 2008 and 2009, they copied HT almost directly, they barely even changed the name. That was during the time when HT was still making military figures, and HT was just getting started on movie figures. VHT was straight up copying HT, and there is plenty of history of that right here on OSW. Just look for the release dates of the earliest VHT sets to see. I also know that because I was buying both brands when that started. When HT stopped with the military figures, VHT continued with theirs, and the quality got marginally better, but it was never on par with HT stuff. They may have taken over after HT left military figures, but they were never as good as HT, even at their best. I've owned both, and VHT is entry level stuff at best, and that's why I ended up selling all the sets I bought. Their later stuff may have been better, but by that point the quality was still not as good as any of the other brands, and they copied other brands as well later on like Soldier Story, DAM Toys, and Easy & Simple. The plastic parts were never molded well, camo patterns were wrong or scaled poorly, sewing was all over the place. Don't get me wrong, the occasional set was okay, and sometimes they got releases done right. But every set seemed to have it's flaws. And they never managed to make it to high end status for 1/6 figures. They kept set prices low because they copied other manufacturers work. Between Dr.Figures and VHT, those two companies made out pretty well copying other manufacture's work, even if the quality did get marginally better over time. The only reason they are still around is that a lot of people loved to be able to get the VHT gear at a lower price than the originals that demanded premium prices. That lower price comes with a sacrifice in quality, and not paying for any rights the original makers had already done.
    And if you're wondering about Flagset, a lot of their gear started as items made for another brand. A couple figures never got made by some other brand, and Flagset became a brand and sold them as their own to recover the costs of all the manufacturing. The SF and MARSOC sets sold really well both as full figures and loose parts, and that was enough to make a few more figures to get them on the map. Their last 4 figures have done pretty well, and the brand seems to be thriving now as well.

I would rate most of the loose parts I have as average quality or above average quality. That makes them more worthy of purchase than VHT. But you'll pay more for that better quality.

It all depends on what you are after as a buyer as well. VHT is going to be lower priced stuff. Flagset somewhere in the mid to higher range for pricing. At the end of the day, buy what interests you, or what you can afford, and have fun with it. It all depends on what you're looking for out of the hobby.
    Thanks for your input.
    m.

I like Flagset and the price point on a lot of their stuff.