CW 12 lb Napoleon Cannon - my Grail find and then some!

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: CW 12 lb Napoleon Cannon - my Grail find and then some!

CW 12 lb Napoleon Cannon - my Grail find and then some!

It's been quite some time since I posted anything, but a combination of retirement and pandemic got me to buy back in to Photobucket. Didn't accomplish anything this winter, but have re-started several projects. 2019 was a big year for purchases, and two ebay buys were spectacular. The one shown here was for my big Holy Grail item, a SST 12 lb Napoleon cannon. The proper name is the "Model 1857 12 Pounder Field Gun, Light". Recent purchases have made this die-hard old Indian Wars cavalryman branch out into the Civil War artillery in a big way. I wanted the Napoleon since SST issued it, but couldn't justify the cost. Then I found an auction for a damaged Napoleon, with a second damaged carriage which was missing a wheel. (A carriage is the wheeled frame the barrel rests on. The Napoleon has a heavier carriage than the Model 1841 6 pounder, 3" Ordnance Rifle and 10 lb Parrott Rifle that SST also made.) There was only one other bidder who, thankfully, gave up early and I got the whole pile for less than the original SST price, and they also sold a metal barrel similar to the Napoleon. Here is the pile I started with:

Both carriages had small damage to different parts, the major damage was to the ends of the axles and the lunette, the large ring at the end of the carriage for connecting to the limber. All of this was repaired using the original fragments, Apoxie Sculpt and wire to reinforce the pieces. The axles needed a ring at the end for the linch pins that held the wheel in place. I had to build some of the hardware, like one of the hangers underneath that held the implements (rammers and worm) and the linch pins and wheel caps (nut caps from the hardware store worked for these). Once it was repainted, the Napoleon was back in service. I'll do separate threads on the upgrades I've done to all of my SST cannons, and what became of the extra carriage and barrel.

Last edited by markh166; 05-20-2020 at 20:44. Reason: error
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: CW 12 lb Napoleon Cannon - my Grail find and then some!

Very nice

you are a genius, a perfectionist, and LUCKY to land that whole bunch all at one time!
    I'm looking forward to the upgrades, gonna be interesting.....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome work, Mark!

Congratulations on winning the lot and putting them back together!

Fred

Well done Mark. I was lucky to see them before, a great find and it is fantastic to see that you bring these back to life!!!
    I like what I do and I do what I like!