How best to sell off collection? In pieces or as the boxed set?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: How best to sell off collection? In pieces or as the boxed set?

How best to sell off collection? In pieces or as the boxed set?

Ok, I really should start downsizing as I am getting old now, and I know many sell off their collections in single pieces....bit by bit ...each infinitesimal uniform and accessory part, weapons etc for all the custom creators out there searching for that one part of a uniform. I have MIB sets I never did anything with, loose figures, and boxes of the loose pieces too.

So, what is the best way to go about this? I hate the idea of listing hundreds of bits on eBay. You know, DID Axis WW2 helmet is one listing. Pair of boots as another listing. I have bought and sold stuff on eBay, but never sold any of my collection of 1/6 action figures.

I hate the idea of selling it on commission at one of the well known action online action figure dealers, because it means I get way less then I spent. But would collectors want to buy MIB at the retail price I paid around 5 years ago? Probably not.

What are everyone’s thoughts? What are your own buying habits like? Are you ore prone to buy just the bits and pieces so that you can create your own customized figures? Does anyone still buy the older boxed sets? Mine are mostly DID axis figures and some are still available online. The famous axis figure is not even allowed to be sold on eBay or Facebook (I tried once and got stopped via eBay).

I want to downsize my entire home, and I been a collector of many kinds of things over several decades. Sorry to ask so many questions, and I hope this is in the right section.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: How best to sell off collection? In pieces or as the boxed set?

Do it by the boxed set, unless you plan on opening a store front and making that your primary job. For the loose figures, sell them in like lots (Germans, Brits, US). That will take some of the pressure off of you. The same goes for your loose parts. You won't make back all of what you've spent, but you will downsize your collection. You can also try other e-commerce sites like Esty and Mercari.

I buy boxed figures as well as individual parts, depending on what I'm working on or catches my attention. I will pay a premium for a MIB figure that I want. What dictates that? If it was a figure that I wanted and missed out on when it was originally released. Hope this helps.

I am not an expert on military figures by any means, and not familiar with that particular market, but I do agree that trying at *first* to sell off boxed sets as full sets is probably best, especially since your purpose is to downsize. You can try that first and then see how things go from there. I feel it is best to try that first simply because, as you say, selling individual parts is indeed tedious, and you could end up with just lots of loose items that never sell. It can be hard to take a loss on a full boxed figure that isn't worth as much now, but you never know, there could be some boxed figures that sell for more than what you think, so it might even out a bit in the long run.

A lot of this depends on how quickly you want to sell off everything, and if you are happy to do it gradually, then I'd say to just do a bit of searching around to see what the things you are selling are currently going for, and then decide what is the absolute lowest you'd be willing to go on those. You can then structure your listings around this -- some you may be able to easily sell at a higher price straight away, some you might have to put up as auctions and best offers and see what happens.

For any loose items you want rid of, then of course, just sell them individually, or in lots, as was already suggested above. But imo, try not to break up the boxed figures or sets as this will only hamper your downsizing, since you could end up with lots of unsold loose bits floating around.
    Last edited by skywalkersaga; 02-29-2020 at 16:06.
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkersaga View Post
    I am not an expert on military figures by any means, and not familiar with that particular market, but I do agree that trying at *first* to sell off boxed sets as full sets is probably best, especially since your purpose is to downsize. You can try that first and then see how things go from there. I feel it is best to try that first simply because, as you say, selling individual parts is indeed tedious, and you could end up with just lots of loose items that never sell. It can be hard to take a loss on a full boxed figure that isn't worth as much now, but you never know, there could be some boxed figures that sell for more than what you think, so it might even out a bit in the long run.

A lot of this depends on how quickly you want to sell off everything, and if you are happy to do it gradually, then I'd say to just do a bit of searching around to see what the things you are selling are currently going for, and then decide what is the absolute lowest you'd be willing to go on those. You can then structure your listings around this -- some you may be able to easily sell at a higher price straight away, some you might have to put up as auctions and best offers and see what happens.

For any loose items you want rid of, then of course, just sell them individually, or in lots, as was already suggested above. But imo, try not to break up the boxed figures or sets as this will only hamper your downsizing, since you could end up with lots of unsold loose bits floating around.

I fully agree wth him: start with boxed figures, then sell lots of loose parts.

What Nazis are you selling?

- DO NOT sell them as a bundle or as a collection. Your targeted buyers will not be able to afford it, this is almost a guarantee, not mentioning that they might already own the same figures and do not wish to have duplicates. Also, grouping items will tend to give out a lack of quality vibe to your buyers.

- List items individually, but in your item description mention that you're willing to offer discounts if the buyer interested in multiple figures. eBay also has this feature. Example:
    "Interested in WWII figures? Please check out my listing for more! Message me for an extra discount when buying multiple figures! Thank you."

Very important: Always cross-check your price with other sellers, look up the price of the figure you about to sell. For me, all Sideshow Clone Troopers have doubled, tripled and even quadrupled the price I initially paid for them. While a few still remaining the same if not slightly better. You said your collection is 5 years old, which makes some of your figures potentially quite rare, sold out and people gonna pay a hefty amount for it.

Know your stuff, don't be greedy but also don't underestimate your collection. Be realistic, if you have a bunch of loose figures then yeah, the price going to be garbage, you probably better selling them as a bundle (And at a loss). But boxed & in good condition? That's a whole different story.
    Last edited by SpaceBunny11; 02-29-2020 at 19:37.

Great points, Spacebunny! And I feel all too well the pain of the exorbitantly priced Sideshow Clone Troopers.... I am still very recent to 1/6, so missed all of them, much to my sorrow. ;-;
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

Thanks guys for your very informative input! SpaceBunny11, I totally concur with your thoughts, after scouting the market this last few years.

Thanks Spacebunny11. Not sure that WW2 figures from Dragon, and DID are escalating in price. The markets keep coming out with better heads, diverse figures, and more accessories. WW2 is pretty saturated. I really appreciate your response...lots of positive energy and helpfulness.

I figured that the market for those is probably different from the pop culture stuff, but still... I feel it's worth a try to see how many of the boxed figures you can sell 'complete', prior to breaking them apart and selling in pieces. If nothing more than to try to save yourself the hassle of so much extra stuff floating around that might then decrease in value even more if it never sells. You can try all sorts of methods to attract buyers, many of which were suggested by Spacebunny11. : )

I guess it boils down to time. Time is our most precious asset. How are you financially? Does your livelihood rely on the sale of these items? If not, it seriously might be worth your TIME to not worry about the money and turn the work over to an auctioneer and let them "dispose" of your collection quickly and easily. You get whatever amount and go on with your life. It all boils down to time and money and what your priorities are, I guess. Best of luck with whatever route you end up taking!

I have zero reasons to help let alone post, but . . .

Unlikely you'll take heed to any of the advice based on experience and observations of others inquiring/posting the same as you.

SO . . .

BEFORE YOU SELL . . .

1. Itemize everything you want to sell.

2. Check current going prices and then determine what you want to sell each item for.

3. DO NOT SELL AS A BUNDLE/COLLECTION . . . unless you want to lose money.

4. Be wary of eBay due to too many scamming buyers and policies that are biased against sellers.

5. Be prepared for an onslaught of messages here from [email protected]$$ buyers wanting to know what you got for sale and low ball offers.

That's all I'm inclined to share. The rest . . . learn the hard way like everyone else.

Good luck.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

DeltaforceChung, this is great advice. It’s interesting though because I have been downsizing my home slowly over the past few years and I do sell on eBay and Facebook marketplace locally (mostly non collectable items). I keep reading on this site how awful buying on eBay is, so then what would allow folks to buy from me should I list anything from my collection? If I consign to one of the well known well respected. Dealer sites, then I lose a ton of money.

When you say itemize, do you mean every pants, helmet, boots, patch/ singular item? I got some boxes full of just single items. For me collecting and buying is and was most definitely a million times more fun then listing and selling are.

I also care about trustworthiness, and being an honest seller. I have excellent feedback on my eBay, and that means a lot to me. However never sold 1/6 figures before, and even if I say in the listing that it’s all from my own collection, I doubt anyone will believe me. Seems like people are extremely apprehensive to buy online except from the big name established dealers like Monkey Depot. I used to buy from all the same dealers myself when I started.

One more thing. Impossible to sell Hitler figures online. I have one and eBay was quick to shut down my one and only 1/6 listing. So there is that aspect also. Can’t sell it on FBM or Etsy either. So some stuff is a huge headache.

Do the research and see what boxed figures sell for in addition to what loose parts sell for. As a general rule, I have found that if you have the time to sell parts off individually you make more money but sometimes this is not even worth the time. Best of luck. Also let us know what you got on this forum. We might want to buy some of your collection.