Photo Story Custom Batman 1939

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Custom Batman 1939

Custom Batman 1939

This is a work in progress.
    I've been putting together a custom Batman in the original 1939 style.
    I used an Adam West Head sculpt and painted the cowl black, added some vinyl to the ears to make them longer (still not sure if I wanna keep that. Thoughts?)
    Golden age body and suit.
    Ross style golden belt.
    Tactical gloves painted purple.
    A WWII pistol and holster.
    Gonna add cape with purple inner lining once it ships. And I'll probably add some taller boots once I locate suitable ones.
    Custom Batman 1939-batman-39-jpgCustom Batman 1939-img_6870-jpgCustom Batman 1939-img_6871-jpg

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Custom Batman 1939

Cool. The long pointy ears are critical to this early look. The nose as well was almost beak like.

Custom Batman 1939-e4a5c7c0-659f-46df-b293-3a20d6df1f5f-jpeg

Custom Batman 1939-64ebaa2b-b093-4bb6-a9a1-3ef82999ef15-jpeg

Really neat idea!! I'm not an expert on this look, but I think what you have so far looks very unique, and I'm liking it.
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gavined View Post
    Cool. The long pointy ears are critical to this early look. The nose as well was almost beak like.

Custom Batman 1939-e4a5c7c0-659f-46df-b293-3a20d6df1f5f-jpeg
    Custom Batman 1939-64ebaa2b-b093-4bb6-a9a1-3ef82999ef15-jpeg
    Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out a better way to do the ears. I like the sculpt of the Adam West cowl when you take away the white eyebrows and nose flourish. The ears are just barely there. And the nose is quite beak-like even though it's short...I just think it looks classic.

I wonder if there's a way to do sculpted ear attachments?

For sculpted ears , hmm ... maybe use ‘greenstuff’ and then paint it?
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

He looks good!

Man, that's cool!
    "You calling it your job don't make it right, boss."

Cool Hand Luke

Quote Originally Posted by coletheslaw View Post
    Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out a better way to do the ears. I like the sculpt of the Adam West cowl when you take away the white eyebrows and nose flourish. The ears are just barely there. And the nose is quite beak-like even though it's short...I just think it looks classic.

I wonder if there's a way to do sculpted ear attachments?
    Shape of the head is definitely spot on!

Looks great!!!
    "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
    Trade feedback:
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ghlight=spyder

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkersaga View Post
    For sculpted ears , hmm ... maybe use ‘greenstuff’ and then paint it?
    I'm looking into greenstuff, I'm also looking into this clay-foam called foam-mo. Might be good for creating molds of head-sculpts and trying out different things.

Here's an update. I took another stab at the ears, gave them a more angular look. Once again, this is just cardstock wrapped in matte black vinyl. Once I figure out a better material, I'll probably use this shape.
    Custom Batman 1939-img_0328-jpgCustom Batman 1939-img_0329-jpgCustom Batman 1939-img_0330-jpg

This looks great! He looks so "real".

This looks SUPERB!! Very nice indeed. I have the Tony Mei version. This is a unique look though. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterUK View Post
    This looks SUPERB!! Very nice indeed. I have the Tony Mei version. This is a unique look though. Well done.
    Thanks! I haven't seen the tony mei one, what's that one look like?

I had a custom 1939 mask made several years ago. Base was a 60’s West cowl. I had him elongate the nose, longer horn like ears and of course all black. It is a hard shell so it holds the shape. Same concept as you have going except 1:1. (Belt done by me.)

Custom Batman 1939-a7c7568d-9d52-41f2-907e-c4dfda01c55f-jpg

thats super cool

Update, I received the purple lined cape. I like it...gonna need to adjust it a bit.
    Need to replace black trunks once those come in. Then I'll just need to update the boots once I find the right ones.
    Custom Batman 1939-img_0336-jpgCustom Batman 1939-img_0343-jpg

Cape looks fantastic!

Great Batman. I think the ears are AWESOME. A lot of times the first impression is what is spot on. Don’t over think it....he looks great.

I have to agree -- I thought the ears were absolutely fine , even in the first pics! It's a reallly cool figure!

I have studied the ears more, and it sounds like you want them larger. How did you apply the ones you have there already? Are they folded and glued on? You could just make taller ones out of a sturdy card stock paper and slip over/ fold around the smaller existing ears. I like that idea...use some paper and fold it into the bigger ear shape to make a pattern of just what you want...then flip it and trace another one for the other side. Then you can get an idea before cutting into vinyl (or leather.) You might like the cardstock ears enough that you can stiffen them with putty, coats of paint, and satin varnish and use as it.

A modeling putty might be used to transition the joinery from the head to the ears, or could be used to create the entire ears too. Some might use black polymer clay, but that has to have some knowledge. However you made those first ears...just try doing it again...taller.

I like the ears, I just wanted to make them out of something that will last. Cardstock and vinyl can be super fragile.

Here's another pic
    Custom Batman 1939-img_6888a-jpg