DID, D80146.WWII German Fallschirmjäger -Schmeling

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DID, D80146.WWII German Fallschirmjäger -Schmeling

DID, D80146.WWII German Fallschirmjäger -Schmeling

Max Schmeling is the only German fighter in history to win the world heavyweight boxing champion. During WWII, he served as the Fallschirmjäger, taking part of the Battle of Crete in May 1941.
    Same as “Red Devils”, as the elite paratroopers, German Fallschirmjage had exclusive equipments. When Schmeling jumped out from the airplane, he wore the whole outfits: Luftwaffe Fliegerbluse and jump pants ( Outside was the German Fallschirmjage jump smock and knee pads). He landed on the battlefield with the help of RZ-1 parachute, and quickly put himself into combat, shooting with MP38 towards enemies. Meanwhile, P08 pistol, M24 stick grenade, M38 gasmask were also included.
    Some parts are still updating. Will release after they are completed.
    Check more info from below:
    https://www.did.co/…/did-d80146-wwii-german-fallschirmjage…/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: DID, D80146.WWII German Fallschirmjäger -Schmeling

Wow, this looks promising. An Operation Merkur Fallschirmjager from the Invasion of Crete 1941.
    There are a few things that I hope DiD fixes before they release this figure though. The black gloves should have some elastic on the inside that gives a crumpled effect on the outer cuff. Next are the mp 38 pouches, the straps on each magazine pouch should actually be stiff web cloth with metal tips. The m38 helmet looks good but the color needs to be apple green. I hope that they have made the buckle for the chin strap correctly. The pics don't show this detail. A lot of the other stuff, the uniform boots and gear look nice. If everything that I mentioned is corrected this figure will be a sell out for sure.
    Last edited by MP 38; 02-26-2020 at 21:58.

The helmet colour seems to be olive green. What you call apple green is actually the so called field grey used late in the war.
    I would use the proper Fliegerblaugrau: Ral 7016

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's a great looking figure!
    I used to have the old DML figure, some blonde, mean looking dude. Can't remember his name though.

Well, no, Ive read plenty about operation mercury. Remember BBI Kreta figure? That M38 helmet is apple green. A perfect example of the color it should be. Cmon man. Dragon made two versions of a fallshirmjager in Crete. The latter one was an actual Max Schmeling figure. I like the look of the side lace boots except the eyelets look a bit large.

Well, for one thing I never saw a color called 'apple green' except maybe on some DIY shops with fancy named spray paints. The BBI had a darker olive green version possibly taken from an 1:1 original without considering the smaller size of the helmet creates a darker perception of the tone... In any case the olive green may have been used especially in the LW since they had that color too used on aircraft. I know that there are some surviving helmets over painted in that color, but especially in the early operations I tend to believe the helmets should have been in the regular Fliegerblaugrau Ral 7016 and for camouflage they might have used the canvas cover...

Go to Whermacht Awards- Fallschirmjager Forum. Type in Apple Green Helmet. I rest my case.

Post Re: DID, D80146.WWII German Fallschirmjäger -Schmeling

I very much doubt in WWII German's RAL ('Reichs-Ausschuß für Lieferbedingungen und Gütesicherung') denomination there was an 'apple green' color: I don't have my original RAL printed catalogue on hand but I'm almost sure there wasn't any color so named.
    this has been named apple green on the modern RAL

everything looks great. just 2 things not up to specs i would guess(?) the helmet liner straps should be a blue colour and the gloves . those gloves seem to be late war without the wrinkled elastic bands on the tops. anyways these things are fixable. they seem to be copying the entire dragon catalog..lol..or alot of former dragon employees are working for DiD now.

peace
    Miguel

(3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)

Miguel! Long time no see you! I long to see your works...
    BTW I made a fast search about this apfel grun matter and here what I've found
    The RLM62 was used by the German Luftwaffe from 1936-1938 as aeroplane camouflage. It was also called 'live green' or 'ashes green' officially. Unofficially it was called 'apple green' but this was never designated by the German authorities.

This green colour was officially used approximately from 1936 as R.L.M. 62 green and later from 3rd of April 1943 as RAL6003 - olive green.
    Apology for my OCD but there are already too many disinformation on the net and I beg you to not spread them any further...

The term apple green is definitely commonly used among the fallschirmjager collectors. You could say its a slang term to describe a certain green I guess. Its not like its unheard of though. So from the description of when the live green was used would fall into the invasion of Crete 1941. Not the olive green color? Regarding the helmet liner straps and buckle, actually the straps were not blue for the earlier years like invasion of Norway, Netherlands and Crete. They were leather colored like the rest of the liner. I really hope they get the fastener and buckle correct though. Looking at the prototype photos it looks like just a plain slip through buckle which is wrong for the earlier years of the war. I know he is shown with the 3 cell ammo pouches but wouldn't it be really neat to see an early version 6 cell mp38/40 blue pouch with accurate sling?
    Last edited by MP 38; 02-29-2020 at 20:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Miguel! Long time no see you! I long to see your works...
    BTW I made a fast search about this apfel grun matter and here what I've found

Apology for my OCD but there are already too many disinformation on the net and I beg you to not spread them any further...
    Hey man.

thanks Bro!! i pop in from time to time. i'm mostly on Facebook these days. all my new stuff is on there.

i'm looking thru my very expensive books on FJ uniforms and equipment and i am seeing original 1941 dated helmets with liner straps that are a dark bluish color. so i don't know... lol

peace
    miguel

That could be but those could be 1941 later months after may 1941 (operation merkur).

At last !!!!!!! A decent looking Fallschirmjager, it's about time, it's been a long time coming and I for one will be buying at least 2 of these, swap out the fliegerblaus and trousers for BGT ones, repaint the helmet and presto a perfect fallie, boots are a bit naff and I'm not 100% sure that blue mp40 pouches were used in crete but that's a minor problem easily solved

I wonder if Max will have a large melon? His head in real life seemed to be on the larger side which makes me wonder how the 1/6th scale will look. Dragon made a Max fallschirmjager figure and the head was large. If DiD does this then the helmet may be larger sized than we are used to. I think the DiD blouse and trousers look pretty nice from the pics. BGT doesn't have a functional access pocket on the left side of the trousers leg which to me is rather important. BGT does make a nice fliegerblaus though so I know what you mean Dave. As for the pouches, yes they had blue mp38/40 pouches in Operation Merkur however the straps for these earlier pouches were webbing with a metal tip that would slide into the leather closure, not a one piece leather strap like what DiD is proposing from the pics. As for the helmet we are way over due for an accurate real leather liner with straps m38 fallschirmjager lid. The color of the shell should be apple green.

Im glad some side lace up jump boots will be back on the market.

What rank was Max when he jumped in Crete?

Quote Originally Posted by MP 38 View Post
    What rank was Max when he jumped in Crete?
    Did he actually jump into crete ? I for one cannot recall ever seeing any pictures in any books or on the net showing Max in crete

Oh yeah, there are a fair amount of pics of Max in Crete. He got dysentary before or during the flight and jump. It being so oppressively hot temperature wise really compounded that and he needed medical care. Many other fallschirmjagers had the same problem if they survived the firefights that unfolded for the next couple weeks. Max being somewhat of a celebrity had quite a few pics taken by the people delegated to photograph the operation merkur.. There are pics of Max before the jump where they embarked from in Greece also.

I know this also has to be on most people's minds lately. How will the C Virus affect the schedule release of this and other upcoming figures?

Quote Originally Posted by MP 38 View Post
    I know this also has to be on most people's minds lately. How will the C Virus affect the schedule release of this and other upcoming figures?
    Its bad enough having to wait for a figure to be released under normal circumstances but i think the figures should be ok to ship considering they are made of plastic and the virus cannot survive for more than 72 hours (apparently) but going back to the figure it looks like he may come with a gravity knife and possibly a working parachute, trouble with a working parachute is, what the hell do you do with it ? cant exactly throw him off a building in case he roman candles and to display him jumping you would need a JU52 fuselage section and to have him suspended from the ceiling as if his chute is about to open you would need a 12 high ceiling.

I am hoping that they will do a signals/officer fallie or maybe even a Monte cassino guy in tropical kit, there seems to be a lack of North African/Italy campaigns plus a nice fully equipped drop cannister would be the perfect touch for a diorama

Inaccuracies aside, even if those don't get corrected, this is an awesome figure.

It looks to be an awesome figure, I agree. The concern I have is more to do with the production time and shipping time of these figures. I know it always takes some lag time but with the virus problems in China and everywhere else it may have some serious effects compared to what we normally see.

Aimee, OUTSTANDING!! Thanks for the photos! Great poses and totally blown away be the correctness! Only one addition to it that you might consider. Just alittle dirt and ware.
    Also thanks for the history lesson. Didn't know Max was in it. By any chance are you related to someone who was on the Axis side?
    I'm working on my relative who was in the DAK, the Captain died in Toburk in May 1943.

Well, actually this is a future DiD release that is forecast to be released in the 2nd quarter of this year.
    Everything posted in the beginning is from Dragon in Dream DiD website that has been released to get us to buy this figure. You should google Max Schmeling. The info on his life is really interesting to read.

Will Max definitely be released or is he just a teaser to wet our appetites ? We are due a Fallschirmjager figure I just don't want to get my hopes up just to be let down

Back almost 50 years ago the perfect actor to play the part of Max had the same name! Max Baer of the "Beverly Hilbillies" TV show.
    He is still around! 82 years young. He was the son of a boxer!

Quote Originally Posted by PT309USN View Post
    Back almost 50 years ago the perfect actor to play the part of Max had the same name! Max Baer of the "Beverly Hilbillies" TV show.
    He is still around! 82 years young. He was the son of a boxer!
    is there any release date yet, im still waiting for the Apollo astronauts that I preordered and paid for nearly a year ago, I am hoping that this release will not be so long in coming, a few months is acceptable to wait but not nearly a year so I am hoping this figure will be out before the anniversary of operation merkur

Thats what I was hoping for too, operation merkur which would be may 20th I think. I inquired about this to one of the venders but they said that they havnt received a price or date when this figure be shipped. I think its safe to say that this pandemic is going to set everything back for some time. Its global so that means everything will be at a standstill. Im reluctant to preorder this because of what you just said, a year later you are still waiting.