DID, D80146.WWII German Fallschirmjäger -Schmeling - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DID, D80146.WWII German Fallschirmjäger -Schmeling

Re: DID, D80146.WWII German Fallschirmjäger -Schmeling

Did have updated their website with lots of new pictures and its looking damn good, multiple buys for me, looks like he may come with a working parachute and a section of JU52 fuselage which is having me jumping somersaults

As for my astronauts, well that's another story, these companies should not advertise figures until they are at least 2 weeks away from release

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Please see the latest images of D80146

I see it was stated by a vendor that Max will be released and shipped in the 3rd quarter of this year. I guess he wont be here for the anniv. of operation merkur. We wont see this figure until the end of the summer. Price will be $180.00 if you opt to have the fuselage door and the working chute.
    Last edited by MP 38; 03-19-2020 at 17:24.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome figure, I will be buying for sure! Regarding the helmet and chinstrap, I am a Fallschirmjager collector and I have an early 1941 helmet that is Apple Green and the chinstrap is brown leather so the figure is correct for the timeframe.

Glad to hear that Rodd54. Could you be more specific regarding the slip thru buckle on your 1:1 M38 helmet compared to this 1/6th version. When I zoom in on the pics I don't see the metal piece that connects the two straps that would be on the left cheek of the face on the Max figure.

if you look at the bolts on the rear of the helmet you can see that they are off centre, I hope this is corrected before final release

Hey Dave, I know what you are saying but I was wondering if the liner just wasn't centered inside the helmet shell causing it to look off center. The liner should be removable so it should not be an issue to re-position the helmet shell to center it up. I hope this is the case. The other thing I noticed was that the eagle decal on the left side of the helmet looks to be too close to the bolt, in other words the eagle looks a bit high.

Hi,

A period photo of Max Schmeling after his drop in Crete.

Splinter pattern helmet cover or plain green, not sure.
    M40 splinter jump smock.
    Early LW ammo bandolier.
    Mauser Kar 98k

If you want to do an accurate Max in Crete it should be "something" similar.

I hope it helps.

That is an interesting pic of Max in Crete. I do believe there are pics of him on board the Junker flight before he jumped that showed Max in a regular M40 Green step-in smock with helmet cover. Its likely he changed into a splinter smock later after being on the ground and fighting. This is just my observation from different photos from that timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by MP 38 View Post
    That is an interesting pic of Max in Crete. I do believe there are pics of him on board the Junker flight before he jumped that showed Max in a regular M40 Green step-in smock with helmet cover. Its likely he changed into a splinter smock later after being on the ground and fighting. This is just my observation from different photos from that timeframe.
    those are propaganda pics dude. that was before the operation......he wore splinter in crete!

peace
    Miguel

(3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)

Im not convinced of that. Maybe you could show me the pic of him boarding tante ju or in the Ju52 wearing the splinter as Ive never seen them. Its more likely he was given a splinter after he landed as his green step in was in tough shape. I know the above pic says taken in Crete but he doesn't appear sick or wounded. Who knows. Most of the pics of Merkur show him in the green smock. When looking more closely at the above pic of Max doesn't it look like he is wearing a splinter smock over the top of a green smock by the looks of the collar? Im comfortable with that.
    Last edited by MP 38; 03-24-2020 at 19:15.

Oh really, there seems to be a difference of opinion on this is all I see. This forum is definitely not a waste of time. Lots of good talent here.

Is or will the helmet be metal

Waiting to see a photo of Max in Crete wearing a green jump smock.

Im thinking that the helmet will be metal. DiD has already made this helmet in metal but it wasn't the best attempt.
    Last edited by MP 38; 03-26-2020 at 18:50.

Why are there 2 wholes at the right side of the JU52 door section ?

Not sure what the holes are for in the side. After looking at 1:1 scale pics they do show them though so this seems to be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by MP 38 View Post
    Not sure what the holes are for in the side. After looking at 1:1 scale pics they do show them though so this seems to be accurate.
    Actually after further reading, the 2 holes were where the door hinges attached. The door was usually removed for paratrooper jumps. It could be installed when hauling supplies and in colder weather. Post WWII the door was modified to slide so no removal was necessary.

The door section from the Dragon Max figure looks a little different design as from the DID figure.
    I do not know much about planes, are they both accurate ?

I have looked at the door section I have from Max and it does not have the 2 holes where the door hinges would be. I don't know, maybe Dragon just didn't care about that detail. After looking at the 1:1 details I would say the DiD version that is being proposed is a nice accurate improvement.

Looking at this figure and the gear offered I would say that the M40 green step in jump smock and the metal M38 helmet will be the most sought after items when loose parts are offered.

I agree that the smock maybe sought after and you can still get Fallschirmjager helmets loose, I would've said weapons and webbing will be sought after most, have you ever tried getting a decent metal MP40 without having to spend loads, the testimony of this is evident when you visit sites.

The other thing I noticed about this figures insignia is that it looks like you can add a tresse to his collar, it looks naff, I'd opt for the collar tresse made by OSSK which I use on my other figures also the gulls on his collar tabs are or seem to be embroidered ! Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always led to believe that the gulls were metal and were pinned on to the tab.

One question I do have is this, I picked up a loose olive green smock it's not a step in smock but does have snaps and a flare gun pocket, I have trawled my extensive books and can't find reference anywhere and I can only assume it's a late custom version.

The helmet can be repainted and decals added so a Normandy fallow can be done

Well, the green and splinter M40 step in smock was altured most likely in the field during Operation Merkur Crete. It being so oppressively hot there in May 1941 paras found ways to be able to open the smock like a coat. Meaning they cut it down the front the rest of the way. As far as the flare pistol holder, I have seen no evidence that this was a feature as of yet during the invasion of Crete. I have not seen any photos of it during Merkur. The gull collar tabs Im not sure of. I guess I thought that there were an embroidered set and also the metal type to attach to the collar. Regarding the jump helmet there are still plastic versions available from Dragon but they lack some detail in the bolts. The BBi version will always hold its own even compared to this new DiD version about to be released with this figure. The BBi version is such a little jewel. Good luck trying to find it now though.

Any pictures of the bbi helmet ?

Its pretty easy to do a search of BBi fallschirmjager 1/6th scale and find images of the 2 different versions that they offered.

I wonder if DiD will take the advice on improving some of the items offered with this figure? I sure hope they do. They seem to be offering a burst of new WWII figures lately and the gear and uniforms look like they have listened and made some changes for the better.

its all well and good Did announcing all these new figures but when are we going to see them released

Good question Dave. I think its safe to say that the Pandemic has set everything back time wise. I wish DiD would take into account that the consumer has been strained financially and lower the prices on these figures.

Maybe DiD is gonna offer us another figure on top of this one. It could be a fallschirmjager medic (sanitater) parachuting into Crete in Operation Merkur complete with the highly sought after fallschirmjager medic first aid bag with medical equipment and a drop container to help administer aid to Max.

Wishful thinking on that one, it would be nice to see another Fallschirmjager with a drop container perhaps a splinter pattern smock