Walmart Robot Score 1-20-20 14" Iron GIiant & Robby the Robot

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Walmart Robot Score 1-20-20 14" Iron GIiant & Robby the Robot

Walmart Robot Score 1-20-20 14" Iron GIiant & Robby the Robot

I found these ate Walmart in the toy section. They about 14 inch tall and have lights sounds and and walking action. The cost $19.87 each.

DSC08760 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC08761 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC08762 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC08763 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC08764 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Walmart Robot Score 1-20-20 14" Iron GIiant & Robby the Robot

Holy cow, those are great finds! I spent considerable on the (Medicom or whatever) Robby years ago, and I'd probably have more fun with this one with less fear of breaking anything. Always wanted to try building that Robby-powered cart he transported people with. Looking forward to seeing what you may do with him to the high "actionfiguremovies" standard. If you've got the BBI Aurora, they're a natural combo (she was kind of a tribute to Robby).

Mixed feelings about the Iron Giant though, because I know I couldn't use him as anything 1/6. Usually I'd have no problem re-purposing a figure like that as something else in my head, but the Iron Giant is too deeply ingrained as himself, and so iconic. I'd still love to get one tho -- 15 times cheaper than Mondo Iron Giant Next time I get to a US Walmart I'll look out for these, thanks.

Did you notice the Robby package thinks it holds The Iron Giant (battery requirement, upper right), but the Iron Giant's own package doesn't? Let's hope they saved their attention for the actual figures.
    Last edited by Moonbase Alpha Male; 01-20-2020 at 18:47.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Holy cow, those are great finds! I spent considerable on the (Medicom or whatever) Robby years ago, and I'd probably have more fun with this one with less fear of breaking anything. Always wanted to try building that Robby-powered cart he transported people with. Looking forward to seeing what you may do with him to the high "actionfiguremovies" standard. If you've got the BBI Aurora, they're a natural combo (she was kind of a tribute to Robby).

Mixed feelings about the Iron Giant though, because I know I couldn't use him as anything 1/6. Usually I'd have no problem re-purposing a figure like that as something else in my head, but the Iron Giant is too deeply ingrained as himself, and so iconic. I'd still love to get one tho -- 15 times cheaper than Mondo Iron Giant Next time I get to a US Walmart I'll look out for these, thanks.

Did you notice the Robby package thinks it holds The Iron Giant (battery requirement, upper right), but the Iron Giant's own package doesn't? Let's hope they saved their attention for the actual figures.
    Glad someone here could appreciate the find. I had no idea these were on the horizon at all. And for the price....I was almost giddy. Yeah, I have plans for these for sure buddy. I hope you can snag these too. I got the last Robby and there was one Iron Giant at my Walmart. I wish you all the luck at yours.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They are not easy to find. Robby has great sound and lighting. His waist and especially his feet are not movie accurate, the redesign needed so he can walk. His dome is also completely clear where only the front and top should be. The box also mentions a blaster pistol—I did not get one nor did I see anywhere in the blister pack where it might have been. For the money it’s awesome.
    I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by jon math View Post
    They are not easy to find. Robby has great sound and lighting. His waist and especially his feet are not movie accurate, the redesign needed so he can walk. His dome is also completely clear where only the front and top should be. The box also mentions a blaster pistol—I did not get one nor did I see anywhere in the blister pack where it might have been. For the money it’s awesome.
    I have to agree about the price. I use to want one of these years ago and the price was $200 to $300. Glad I passed. I know I would be kicking myself if I passed on this and later changed my mind and could not longer find them. Plus they are going for twice as much on ebay right now. I sold my Iron Giant years ago and just couldn;t get my self to pay the current price to replace him. Again glad i waited. $19.87 each is crazy good. Conclusion: Get these bad boys while you can. You'll be so sorry if you don't.

Too bad neither one is really suited as an "army builder." Though (if you can forget he's supposed to be 60 foot tall, and the specific Iron Giant), I could see a squad of them with some custom variations and different weapons etc. threatening Buck Rogers, or facing off with the Mandalorian.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Too bad neither one is really suited as an "army builder." Though (if you can forget he's supposed to be 60 foot tall, and the specific Iron Giant), I could see a squad of them with some custom variations and different weapons etc. threatening Buck Rogers, or facing off with the Mandalorian.
    And at $19.87 each that is certainly possible. Robot army, here you come! Go get 'em buddy!!

Something else weird.

Just noticed in your third picture that Robby's blurb says "with the help of Trendmasters® technology, he is motorized." Trendmasters made a version of Robby in 1999 but the company has been dead since 2002. This is definitely not a reissue of the Trendmasters Robby. For one thing, the Trendmasters was only 10" tall (which is actually what you'd expect for something selling Walmart Retail at this price point, making the 13" or 14" height of this one most welcome).

Also the Trendmasters Robby looks pretty primitive now: It has a cumbersome round 5" wide remote control that's actually wire-connected (!) with 2 buttons, one for lights/sounds and the other for walking. The speaker is actually inside the control, so the sounds are 4 feet away from the robot -- that's how long the cord is. It's possible this may be using the same Trendmasters sound clips tho. And it looks like Goldlok stole the box blurb text from Trendmasters 20 years ago, right up to still including the reference to Trendmasters® technology.

These are so cool! Very memorable chatacters. Especially Robby the Robot!

Walmart Robot Score 1-20-20 14" Iron GIiant & Robby the Robot-c3po-jpg

Army of robots? I'm in
    Last edited by jon math; Yesterday at 16:14.
    I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one!

Thanks for the pictures. These are very cool, hope I can find them!
    "Grant us wisdom from Thy mind, courage from Thine heart, strength from Thine arm, and protection by Thine hand. It is for Thee that we do battle, and to Thee belongs the victor's crown. For Thine is the kingdom, & the power & glory forever, Amen." SF Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by Joebros View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. These are very cool, hope I can find them!
    My pleasure. I was at my local Walmart and they has been sold but today (Friday) the restocked and had quite a few of both robots. I hope you find them soon.

Great finds . I'll have to check it out ! By the way who is that guy next to Robbie ?
    For he that spends his money on 1/6 figures with me shall be my brother

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho gijoe View Post
    Great finds . I'll have to check it out ! By the way who is that guy next to Robbie ?
    Custom Green Lantern, Guy Gardner.

I mainly focus on 1/6 scale figures, so, anything else comes by accident, so, these two are a surprise
    did you open these two? if so, can we get pics next to some 1/6 figure

I haven't open them but the pictures above show him next to a 1:6 scale figure.