Female Figures Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)

Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could help, I am looking for a head for one of these two bodies. One is a Kumuk (with a grayish tan color), and the other is one I got off Amazon under the name ZYAQ 1/6 Scale White Skin Medium Bust Female Nude Action Figure Body Model Doll with Accessories for Hot Toys, which is very pale. I am currently using a (poorly, by me) repainted Barbie head for the Kumik, but I would like to upgrade. I have a few heads I found off Ebay, that I really like and I was wondering, if any of them would work for one of these two bodies? And also, if any of them can be re-rooted, because the character I have in mind has hip length black hair. I would like to switch to the paler body, as the skintone fits the character better as well(but I am willing to stick with the Kumik if need be).

Here is a picture of the two bodies (not a great one, but it shows the colors rather accurately.)

Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)-untitled-2-jpg

And here are the heads that I like

KIMI TOYS 1/6 Female Head Sculpt Model KT011C Black Hair F 12" Figure Body Doll | eBay

1/6 European American Female Head Sculpt SDH005 B For 12" PHICEN Action Figure | eBay

1:6 European Beauty Head Sculpt 4cm Hair for Phicen 12'' Female Rude Body | eBay

KIMI TOYS 1/6 Female Head Sculpt Model Doll KATE F 12" TBLeague Action Figure PH | eBay

1/6 Scale Head Sculpt with Long Brown Hair for 12" Female Body Hot Toys | eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Female-...53.m1438.l2649

Thank you for any input or advice!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)

Hello there, and welcome!

From the looks of it, I would say that the majority of the headsculpts you have listed are probably what would be called 'suntan' skintone. The pale body you have therefore may not work with those. The kumik body in your photo looks to me like an older model in a fairly dark skintone which likewise may be difficult to match with many of the heads on the market.

I wish I could tell you exact heads that would match those two bodies, but since I do not have experience with either of the ones in your photo, I cannot say with any certainty. All I can say is that it's always a bit tricky to match skintones in this hobby, but if you are willing to experiment and take some chances, then you will eventually find something that works for you.

If you wish to use a pale body, you can try searching for 'pale' headsculpts. One brand that does nice, stylized pale sculpts is Super Duck -- the second link on your list is a Super Duck head, though it's hard to tell if it's a suntan or a pale since the listing doesn't specify for sure. If you search via skintone, then at least that gives you a bit more to go on.

If you like the other, more suntan-toned heads on your list, then I suggest searching specifically for a suntan body to accompany them. Many of the suntan heads you liked in those links are Kimi Toys brand heads -- from what I recall, the suntan Kimi head known as KT004 goes fairly well with the VeryCool 'medium suntan' skintone bodies, such as this one [also comes in a more grey suntan and a pale]:

VERYCOOL 1/6 Mid Bust Female Body FX02-C 12'' Figure MEDIUM TAN/ASIAN Skin | eBay

Another one you can potentially try is the PopToys body -- this comes in only two tones, either pale or suntan:

In-stock 1/6 POPTOYS XING Series 92003 Jointed Female Body #92003 Sun — GIANTOY action figures

Re: Kumik - the current available Kumik body, while a nice shape, is one that I avoid due to the fact that the joints on it tend to go quite loose and floppy fairly easily. At least, that has happened in my experience so I no longer use those ones. Likewise, I tend to avoid Kumik heads, because even though they do have some nice ones, their heads are almost impossible to match with any existing bodies out there...even their own, lol.

There are tons of nice 1/6 heads out there to choose from, just make sure you enter 'pale' or 'suntan' in your searches, depending on what your preferences are. Here are some brands you can enter to search for headsculpts: KimiToys, Super Duck, YMToys, GacToys, as well as many others I'm probably forgetting.

Other well-known brands that make great quality sculpts include: VeryCool, DamToys, and Tbleague, though these tend to be a) more pricey, and b) go best with bodies of the same brand.

A user on this forum has an entire thread dedicated to skintone-matching, here:

Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

While the discussion is more skewed toward seamless 1/6 bodies, there is also some info on the visible jointed bodies, too.

Hope this helps a bit!

ETA: I forgot to respond to your question about re-rooting. The short answer is that, no, it's not really possible to actually re-root these heads in the same way one would re-root vinyl doll heads, because the heads are made of hard plastic. BUT, often the 1/6 headsculpts are made so that the back of the head, where the hair is located, detaches from the front of the head. Depending on the size of the head and the brand/make, these 'scalps' or hairpieces can be swapped for a different one, in order to change hair colour and hair style. I've successfully swapped hair pieces before, but it really does depend on the size of the headsculpt as to whether they will fit. On ebay you can sometimes find the hair/scalp pieces or 'wigs' on their own, which is good if you don't want to have to buy an entire headsculpt just to take apart for the hair.

Sometimes the heads in question have the scalp piece glued on, but with some heat and hot water, they can be loosened.

Another alternative is to remove the hair entirely, and then re-hair with a natural fiber like tibetan lamb hair, which is something I have been doing lately. Instead of re-rooting, I tend to glue this directly onto the scalp, although it is not the easiest method. ;p
    Last edited by skywalkersaga; 01-09-2020 at 19:12.
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

In case it's not clear what I was referring to about the removeable 'hair pieces', I'll attach some pics to illustrate...

Here's a headsculpt I recently repainted:

Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)-79530363_456332578399099_1679385624949293056_n-jpg

Since the hairstyle was not exactly what I wanted for the character I am making, I removed the back of the head/scalp along the existing seam:

Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)-79172918_2718666788194971_7248802329082724352_n-jpg

In this case it came off fairly easily, but on some heads the hairpiece might be glued on a bit more firmly, so heat or hot water will be required in order to remove it. I recommend waiting to repaint until AFTER removing the hair [aka, don't make the same mistakes I have, lol].

I don't have any pictures of the finished product yet, since I'm still working on perfecting the hairstyle for this figure, but here's what one of these plastic backs of the heads looks like after I re-haired it with tibetan lamb hair.

Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)-82105069_2962668427131453_7996828603746615296_n-jpg

*Note the warping on the 'scalp piece' -- this is its normal state, but it straightens out just fine once it's actually attached to the head.

**While gluing the lamb's hair, I followed these instructions on MoreZMore's very helpful tutorial:

How to Make Doll’s Hair (Tibetan Lamb) | Morezmore Work-in-Progress Notes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for head for one of these two bodies?(kumik and unknown brand)-79227458_494387434762161_1290393585161601024_n-jpg  
    Last edited by skywalkersaga; 01-10-2020 at 07:39.
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

First off, thank you for your reply!

Yeah, the Kumik is a very dark skintone, I got it off Ebay, and was listed as a pale body, wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it worked for awhile. But going forward, I don't mind getting a different body to get a head I like. I will keep Poptoys and Verycool in mind, as I did look at them way back when. Thank you for the links and the information. I am not a fan of the seamless bodies, so I am happy to know there are color matching posts for the visible jointed bodies.

Yeah, I figured re-rooting was a no go, but had to ask. I have seen the scalp pieces on Ebay(and had bookmarked a few just in case). So I guess slicing and dicing is the way to go :P I actually have done gluing the hair directly to the scalp before, but it was with synthetic mohair, and some braiding hair I made wefts out of, works great for the short hair on my guys, but was a bit of a pain, and kinda mess at points. Never worked with real mohair before though.

Thanks again!

No problem at all! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. And best of luck to you in finding the right head + body matches for your needs.

ETA: and yes, I feel you on that one, synthetic hair can be a bit of a pain. While working with natural fibers takes some getting used to, I find that natural hair is much finer, softer, and well, more natural looking, and contributes a great deal to the realism at this scale. If you plan to try gluing something like mohair or tibetan lamb hair directly to the head, I recommend both cleaning the plastic scalp with acetone to remove the 'shiny' surface, and also sanding it a little bit first. This will help a lot with the glue adhering to the plastic.

Thanks for the tips(and the link to the tutorial), I am decided on a KT004 head. Which is gonna need new hair, so I will keep the mohair in mind as an option.

You're most welcome! And the KT004 is a nice choice and a very versatile headsculpt -- I'm sure it will look gorgeous whatever type of hair you go with.