World at War (WWI, WWII, & Civil Wars) British Paratrooper, Arnhem

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: British Paratrooper, Arnhem

British Paratrooper, Arnhem

This is my new project completed and it is based on the DID British Airborne Sergeant

This was my first DID figure and all in all I was impressed

I wanted to to add a little movement to the figure as I am still new to the world of 1/6 and am learning on every project I work on

I decided to swap the headsculpt out for a Facepool one as it was more in keeping with the pose I wanted

I used slow setting adhesive to lock the joints in the chosen pose after dressing him and also stiffened his clothing so that creases would stay in the uniform

I used brick slips from dolls house modelling to make the cobbles before mounting the figure to the oak base and finishing with a WW2 Parachute Regiment crest

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: British Paratrooper, Arnhem

He looks very good. I'm really impressed with DiDs offering on these latest airborne figures. I'm hoping they will so an early war Italian airborne figure from the invasion of Cefalonia in 2020.

It was my first DID figure and I was impressed

The only thing that let it down a little was the 37 pattern webbing which was quite flimsy and un-detailed compared to the rest of the set

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great looking figure! Lots of nice detail (including pebble finish on boots), good tight gaiters (not so easily done) and a great, very natural pose. I also love your base. DiD are really under appreciated. Their British BDU is the best that was made imo.
    "Impossible is just a stage." Chris Hadfield

Nice!

Thanks Guys, I was so impressed by DID I have purchased another from their range

You did a really fine job. Looks fantastic, and the face really sets the tone of real battle duty.

The only thing wrong is the gaiters are on wrong....the overlapping opening should be pointing towards the back.....not the front as you have it.....other than that this is a fantastic figure!
    What would that look like if I was 12" tall?

Grant

Great looking figure!!!
    I like what I do and I do what I like!

thanks for comments Guys

Hopefully you'll post your milk man pilot once you're finished with him.

This guy looks really good, Mark!

I like his pose and enjoyed seeing the WIP photos on Facebook.

Fred

Thanks for comments
    The WIP group is great, especially for a beginner like me

Oh wow, you are correct! How did I miss that? Should be an easy fix.

Great looking para!

Really good choice of head sculpt!

Have you thought about putting some blanco on his webbing, pouches, ammo slings and pack. I've just done that to one of my figures and it makes quite a difference. (Actually I used tarragon shoe cream with a little paint to get to the correct shade but it gets the right effect...)

Quote Originally Posted by climbthathill View Post
    Really good choice of head sculpt!

Have you thought about putting some blanco on his webbing, pouches, ammo slings and pack. I've just done that to one of my figures and it makes quite a difference. (Actually I used tarragon shoe cream with a little paint to get to the correct shade but it gets the right effect...)
    I've never heard of either of these products. What does it do exactly?

Blanco was what the British Army used to use to colour and clean webbing. You can use different colour tarrago shoe creams (I bought some on Ebay) with a little paint to create a repro of some of the different blanco colours.

There's quite a good article on 1937 pattern webbing here: https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/equ...937pattern.htm which includes a colour palette for blanco. I found this article plus the original MOD instruction booklet for 37 pattern webbing quite useful when assembling it.

This article is all about one particular shade of Blanco - Khaki Green No3 - KG3 Pickerings Webbing Renovator – Tales from the Supply Depot

Finally, here is a link to my own figure with blancoed webbing. Action Man (GI Joe) Indochine Kitbash

I've still got a little work to finish him, and I'm not an expert modeller, but you can see the how the blanco unifies the different fabrics in the webbing set (except for the belt which is going to get another coating). Actually, parts of my gear there come from 3 different manufacturers, so without the blanco it would all appear in different shades.

Nice looking figure, I must say thought that the denison smock is the worst one I've seen produced this far, having looked at original ones DiD really let the side down with this one, also there are no fasteners to attach the smock tail between the legs as if he was going to jump

What is “blanco?”

Blanco is a coating the British put on webbing, pouches, packs, rifle slings, gaiters, ammo clings, etc. It protects, waterproofs, colours and cleans the webgear. Troops would apply it to their gear as part of the routine maintenance. Gear from different manufacturers might appear in different variations of the same shade. Applying blanco made everything look the same. The whole unit would apply the same colour.

Raw webbing was only used in North Africa and Sicily. A paratrooper at Arnhem would have had blanco on his gear.

There's loads about blanco on this website Blanco and Bull | The webbing and boot cleaning website but its not very organized - you have to search instead of just going through the menus.
    The DiD para above looks like his raw kit is the same colour as be Blanco 103 No. 103 – the Shoe Cream method | Blanco and Bull
    There's also blanco 97 green - No. 97 – the Shoe Cream method | Blanco and Bull
    And dark khaki green - KG no 3 - K.G. No 3 – the Shoe Cream method | Blanco and Bull

This pic might help too - the web gear on these paras appears to be Blanco KG3 - King George VI inspects paratroops of 6th Airborne Division, 16 March 1944 : wwiipics

The other thing that pic of the real life paras shows is that the pack on this DiD figure is riding a bit high - you might want to loosen the straps a bit and drop it down - but then it will float a bit so you'll need to stuff some weight inside. I also notice that the DiD pack and other webgear is missing the brass webbing end tabs. You can buy very good ones from https://www.armorpax.net/wwii-allied-parts.

I've still got some work to do to finish my own figure, but it already has blancoed webbing and the brass webbing end tabs. Both make a really big difference - although I'm sure some of the purists amongst you will be horrified that I've used a Joe instead of a more sculpted head
    Action Man (GI Joe) Indochine Kitbash

I don't want to hold myself out as an expert - I'm still learning - and my Commando Marine is the first figure where I've gone the full blanco route - but trust me it makes a huge difference compared to the raw gear. I'm quite astonished at how much it changed my figure.

To help with the blanco discussion I've uploaded some more pics...

The first 2 pics show the same French bag with and without blanco. Only one coat so far, but you start to see the differences...

The next four photos are close-ups of my figure so you can see the effect of adding blanco to his gear and adding the brass web tab ends. There's also a subtle waxiness that the cameras not picking up - I might try and add some daylight pictures this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails British Paratrooper, Arnhem-dsc_1309-jpg   British Paratrooper, Arnhem-dsc_1307-jpg   British Paratrooper, Arnhem-dsc_1306-jpg   British Paratrooper, Arnhem-dsc_1305-jpg   British Paratrooper, Arnhem-dsc_1303-jpg   British Paratrooper, Arnhem-dsc_1302-jpg