Shilling Continues? Coinsidence?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Shilling Continues? Coinsidence?

Shilling Continues? Coinsidence?

Ok...So I woke up extra early this morning to bid on a figure on EBay from one of my favorite sellers. Once again I was outbid in the final seconds.

He had two of the same figures listed and both set to expire a few minutes apart..."great" I have two shots at this!
    But once again I was outbid! After being outbid every weekend on the final seconds for the exact same figures I looked further into the matter.

Here is what I found:

-1st figure expires, winning bid is 16.48 by a bidder identified as U**Z with 1501 winning bids in his/her history and 72% with seller
    -2nd figure expires three minutes later, winning bid 16.48, won by 5**N, 1501 winning bids with 72% with seller.

Ok, maybe this is might be a conspiracy theory, or I am irritated that I keep waking up so early only to be edged out.

Just seeking some knowledge.

Disclaimer: Likely an issue with my perception , so I changed the identifiable information to protect the innocent. ..but the amounts were exact, bidding history, exact, and percentile with seller exact..only difference was the EBay name, and both times edged out in the final seconds!
    Regards

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Shilling Continues? Coinsidence?

hope I don't get flamed for this but..... if I really want something on ebay, I wait 'til the last seven seconds and then bid 10% more than what I'm willing to pay, for example if I'm willing to pay $100 for a toy, I'm certainly willing to pay $110 right? that's what these people are doing. if you want the item, don't submit your high bid and then wait for someone to overbid you at the last second... you wait 'til the last second and then bid high, man, bid high...

GregT is right. Some people call it sniping. I love using my sniper skills to get what I want. All bidding on something early does is drive up the price.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am with GregT and delusional on this. I always fire off my highest bid sub 10 seconds.

The bidding you are experiencing is almost guaranteed shilling. Probably the seller, or a friend with a shill account bidding to try and drive up the price, or not sell for a super low one. The buyers get their user name protected now with a random identifier, but with the same feedback rating, and percentage rating, that's a giveaway. It's the same buyer with the Ebay randomly scrambled ID. Once upon a time you used to be able to see all the bidders IDs. Then the private auctions option showed up. Then the obscured ID so auction winners couldn't be contacted by other members to sell the item they just won for a higher price, and nudge out Ebay fees.

I bid both the ways above. I put my max bid on early if I know I won't be able to catch the auction end and let it go. So be it.

And I wait till the final 10 seconds and go max to snipe. It just depends on the end time for me.

But I don't chase auctions any more. Set your limit, stay within it.

Seriously, entering your MAX bid before the final seconds is costing you a LOT of extra cash on your winning auctions. Why let other bidders (or shills) run you up? Shoot your best price at the end. (This will also prevent you from getting into an emotional bidding war.)

Sorry, but sniping is just part of the process, if you want to actually win.

Don’t wait for 10 seconds! That’s way too much time for the shill or someone else to beat your bid
    I always put a max bid $20-$30 over and have it waiting for the final 3 seconds this way you’re almost guaranteed to win the bid

I agree with your assessment that the 'evidence' certainly makes it look like shill bidding, but I can't fathom why anybody would bother on a $16 auction?!! eBay employs fraud-prevention algorithms, and if they catch a Seller doing this, they are toast. (Don't know how effective those measures are, but at least they are in place.)

I am so glad I don’t buy hot items anymore on eBay. Way way too stressful. My internet is too slow anyways.

I too used to lose bidding in the last 2 minutes. Now, it’s seconds? Crazy. I know if I wait til the last minute I will lose because the process is too slow on my computer. However once, I did put $100 more as a bid in the last two minutes...(got totally carried away), and won the bid by a mere $9.00 which was fine by me. Whew, I can’t take that sort of stress anymore.

Buy it now, or let it go. Much less stressful. If it’s too expensive, pass.

Sniping not shilling, eBay actually has a feature that will do this for you, or rather keep increasing your bid every time someone tries to outbid you until it reaches your max bid
    "In Stalingrad I learned that
    natural body oils mixed with dirt
    will make you
    waterproof....."Kruger

I have had some, what might be shady dealings with ebay auctions. I've had items bids jacked up at the last second, driving the price up, to only be relisted because the sale "fell through". Just the other day, it happened. Ebay notified me the sale fell through and seller was willing to sell it at the winning bid (I had dropped out, because it was way too high).

i dont usually bid on stuff on ebay, unless i really want it, and if thats the case...I've already done plenty of waiting and looking for the right price and condition. it's rare that i get into a bidding war, but if i do...i only go as far as i'm willing, and let others waste money beyond that. that said, the circumstances seem pretty suspicious, but idk...could be someone else sniping. honestly i'm curious as to what it was, perhaps someone else has it and is willing to trade ya, or sell it at a fair price.
    Hail Cobra!