Female Figures Incursion in Moon Station Alpha (NEW pictures added)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Incursion in Moon Station Alpha (NEW pictures added)

Incursion in Moon Station Alpha (NEW pictures added)

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE FLAKING LEATHER SUITS AND THESE FLAKING LEATHER BOOTS!

Warning: Expletive-laden photo-story-rant ahead.
    Warning: Lotsa pictures.
    Warning: Lotsa familiar references / Easter eggs.

Starring:
    Phicen Caroline Munro
    Phicen S09
    GI Joe 12" Adventure Team Secret of Planet Xenome Alien #1
    GI Joe 12" Adventure Team Secret of Planet Xenome Alien #2
    GI Joe 12" Adventure Team Secret of Planet Xenome Alien #3
    Phicen flaking leather suit #1
    Phicen flaking leather suit #2
    Phicen flaking leather boots
    Phicen flake particle #1
    Phicen flake particle #2
    Phicen flake particle #3
    Phicen flake particle #...
    Phicen flake particle #9,999,999
    Phicen flake particle #1,000,000,000,000,000,000

Backdrop / diorama:
    Custom panels from mightycaine (ebay.co.uk)

Last edited by glarcxensea; 12-10-2019 at 12:50.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Incursion in Moon Station Alpha

Haha! This setup is soooo cooooll! Great photo story! And also a very creative way to show off deteriorating Phicen pleather clothing issues!

I was tempted to get this classic Caroline Munro Phicen set back then, but gave it a pass.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very artsy way to reprimand Phicen's careless engineers. If only they paid any attention...
    Congrats buddy. You got my attention span to last from beginning to end. I was left asking for more!
    This kind of stuff is such a great way to enjoy your figs...
    m.

Hey thanks for your supportive words martian, asgardianboy. Glad you had fun reading.

The two fem figs along with the Xenome aliens had been in my display untouched in their permanent combat poses for a few years, with all that leather glistening, shiny and new. I wanted to turn that scene into some kind of photostory and when I recently felt ready for it with the arrival of those beautiful sci-fi panels, them flaking leather decided to come in the way, so what the heck I decided they should have a script too. It was meant to be a pure ‘action flick’ but I couldn’t resist infusing it with some commentary about these toymakers’ stubborn choice to keep dishing out ‘quality’ products made with inferior materials. We still love their products and we still shell out our good money for them, all at the same time knowing some parts of them may hardly last. I only wish they would listen, take more pride in what they do and choose much more lasting leather for their leather products.

Anyway, your wish is answered, asgardianboy. Here a few more bonus scenes for good measure. Hope you guys like them!

Re: Incursion in Moon Station Alpha (NEW pictures added)

Hey, that's sweet! Thanks a lot for the encore!
    I can imagine your pain when you found out that your figs were actually dying the flaking death. So, I sent this thread to Phicen's customer service. The hell with them!
    BTW, where did you find those Sci-Fi panels?
    Best,
    m.

Quote Originally Posted by asgardianboy View Post
    Hey, that's sweet! Thanks a lot for the encore!
    I can imagine your pain when you found out that your figs were actually dying the flaking death. So, I sent this thread to Phicen's customer service. The hell with them!
    BTW, where did you find those Sci-Fi panels?
    Best,
    m.
    My pleasure! And you did what!? LOL! Well I hope they have a flaking good time reading this!

Those sci-fi panels - custom work of mightycaine - they do their job might fine. And they do not flake.
    Items for sale by mightycaine | eBay

This was a fun read, and I’m sorry for your troubles. My question is what type of temperature, sunlight, and humidity variations are your figures exposed to. I have this same figure, and many others made with similar “cheap” pleather (including Hot Toys — which uses equally crappy materials) — and none of mine have had this issue. I received flaking pleather boots from a friend of mine several states away from me, and by the time they arrived, the deterioration had begun (since it was summertime, I attributed it to extremes in temp and humidity).

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    This was a fun read, and I’m sorry for your troubles. My question is what type of temperature, sunlight, and humidity variations are your figures exposed to. I have this same figure, and many others made with similar “cheap” pleather (including Hot Toys — which uses equally crappy materials) — and none of mine have had this issue. I received flaking pleather boots from a friend of mine several states away from me, and by the time they arrived, the deterioration had begun (since it was summertime, I attributed it to extremes in temp and humidity).
    I live in Singapore - it's hot and humid all year round. Every collector here who owns figures with fake leather parts pretty much faces the same nightmare. I keep my figures away from sunlight. Some I keep back in their original packaging after opening, and also away from sunlight. It doesn't seem to matter how they are stored, and only a matter of time before them leather parts begin to crack and flake.

Also, I have many 1/6 figures that I've yet to open, and when I do take them out for the first time after a year or two (true story because I have limited free time for the hobby and lots of unopened figures), and guess what... cracks or peels on the leather of a brand new figure. No surprise.

Let me try to list down my other figs with flaked or cracked leather - there are so many I can't remember all of them:

1. The leather on my VTS VM-013 - New Epoch Cop (Judge Anderson) and Art Figures AF-015 1/6 "Heavy Armoured Special Cop" had already begun to flake when I took these shots months ago. By the end of the photoshoot, the leather on "Heavy Armoured Special Cop" took a massive beating after all the posing I put it through.
    Judges

2. Phicen Lady Death - displayed for a few years, leather flaked off. I washed all the flakes away. She's wearing black cloth bikini and boots now.

3. 1/6 Hot Toys Resident Evil 4 Leon S Kennedy (Regular Version) - brown leather jacket became brown flakes years ago. I've left him in deep storage still buried in flakes and it's been untouched for years. Thanks Hot Toys.

4. Kaustic Plastik KP-XXL-EXP1 - Fantasy Warrior Expansion Kit (Conan) - brown leather's cracked in some parts. He's a statue now, do not move him!

5. Cool Girls, Triad Toys, Hot Toys, Phicen/TBLeagues, Original Effect Army Attractive, Flirty Girl Collectibles, Pop Toys outfits etc. etc. etc. - all with flaked leather so long they come with leather parts.

So yeah, these recalcitrant toymakers have been at it for years and nothing about their leather has changed. If they tell you some new product of theirs is made with better quality and more durable leather, you know they can't be trusted.

Nevertheless, the hobby's still going strong for me and I'll still be buying figures with leather parts. Thankfully most of these leather come in black, and the cloth layer is also black after you've washed off the flakes, so perhaps you could say nothing's really lost? Anyhows, I try to make do with it, and accept this present fact of my 1/6 life with a grudge for now.

If you have a way to control the temperature and humidity where you store/display your figures, I’d look into that. I have all of my figures in a basement Man-Cave. Temperature and humidity fluctuates here from ungodly hot to ungodly cold, but the basement temps and humidity barely fluctuate, plus I have all of the windows blacked out with UV blocking film and heavy-duty blinds. With the lights off, it’s as dark as a cave. It helps immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    If you have a way to control the temperature and humidity where you store/display your figures, I’d look into that. I have all of my figures in a basement Man-Cave. Temperature and humidity fluctuates here from ungodly hot to ungodly cold, but the basement temps and humidity barely fluctuate, plus I have all of the windows blacked out with UV blocking film and heavy-duty blinds. With the lights off, it’s as dark as a cave. It helps immensely.
    Yeah, I hear you man - temperature and humidity is the key. To tell the truth, there is in fact a way for us to preserve leather in tropical/equatorial climates like ours, and that is to store them in a place with air conditioning 24/7. Unfortunately, that's not a practical thing for me (and I believe for many others too) because that would simply mean racking up a huge electricity bill every month. That's just punishing collectors here in a different way. You want your leather to last? Do this, do that, don't do those. Hey maybe these toy makers could might as well make entire figures out of recycled cardboard or paper - they can sure save a lot more in terms of material cost. That isn't the point of course, because, reality is, no collector in our field likes the idea of owning anything that does not last especially when they've paid top dollar for it, and that the real solution is for these makers to acknowledge this fact (about easily deteriorating leather) and do better.

Quote Originally Posted by glarcxensea View Post
    I live in Singapore - it's hot and humid all year round. Every collector here who owns figures with fake leather parts pretty much faces the same nightmare. I keep my figures away from sunlight. Some I keep back in their original packaging after opening, and also away from sunlight. It doesn't seem to matter how they are stored, and only a matter of time before them leather parts begin to crack and flake.

Also, I have many 1/6 figures that I've yet to open, and when I do take them out for the first time after a year or two (true story because I have limited free time for the hobby and lots of unopened figures), and guess what... cracks or peels on the leather of a brand new figure. No surprise.

Let me try to list down my other figs with flaked or cracked leather - there are so many I can't remember all of them:

1. The leather on my VTS VM-013 - New Epoch Cop (Judge Anderson) and Art Figures AF-015 1/6 "Heavy Armoured Special Cop" had already begun to flake when I took these shots months ago. By the end of the photoshoot, the leather on "Heavy Armoured Special Cop" took a massive beating after all the posing I put it through.
    Judges

2. Phicen Lady Death - displayed for a few years, leather flaked off. I washed all the flakes away. She's wearing black cloth bikini and boots now.

3. 1/6 Hot Toys Resident Evil 4 Leon S Kennedy (Regular Version) - brown leather jacket became brown flakes years ago. I've left him in deep storage still buried in flakes and it's been untouched for years. Thanks Hot Toys.

4. Kaustic Plastik KP-XXL-EXP1 - Fantasy Warrior Expansion Kit (Conan) - brown leather's cracked in some parts. He's a statue now, do not move him!

5. Cool Girls, Triad Toys, Hot Toys, Phicen/TBLeagues, Original Effect Army Attractive, Flirty Girl Collectibles, Pop Toys outfits etc. etc. etc. - all with flaked leather so long they come with leather parts.

So yeah, these recalcitrant toymakers have been at it for years and nothing about their leather has changed. If they tell you some new product of theirs is made with better quality and more durable leather, you know they can't be trusted.

Nevertheless, the hobby's still going strong for me and I'll still be buying figures with leather parts. Thankfully most of these leather come in black, and the cloth layer is also black after you've washed off the flakes, so perhaps you could say nothing's really lost? Anyhows, I try to make do with it, and accept this present fact of my 1/6 life with a grudge for now.
    You are really destroying me.
    I also have a bunch of figs (armored cop, HT Catwoman, etc) that must still see the light of day, and when they do.... OMGs.... :-((((((
    European/American collectors out there: are you having such huge problems with your pleather-clad figs, as those described by glarcxensea?
    Thanks,
    m.

Sorry to reincarnarate an old thread, but this explains what's going on with my Phicen SHCC Vampirella. Pleather suit started to flake around the neck and now it's begun around the crotch area. At first I thought it was my fault, but this cast a whole new light on things.