NKVD Captain 1944-45

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: NKVD Captain 1944-45

NKVD Captain 1944-45

Hi all, here is a Soviet NKVD officer 1944-1945.

The NKVD (People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs) were part military police and the guardians of the will of the Communist party. Guilty of war crimes they were feared as much by their own regular soldiers as by the enemy prisoners. They savagely killed many polish officiers in the early part of the war as well as in 1944 when the Soviets over ran Warsaw just after the uprising against the German occupants.

Made up of Old Dragon parts ( 70250 - "Alexei Petrovich Komarov", Soviet NKVD Officer) repainted and reshaped to look more realistic. The Gimnasterka is from Alert line, well made with detailed buttons.The belt, boots and holster are also Alert Line .

The NKVD had a pleated pocketed tunic mid war but towards the end of the war officers tunics were standardized and it was replaced by the general officer tunic with blue cuff piping.

The detailing of the shoulder boards was possible with resin stars made by Alexander Khimenko who has a great range of resins parts to complete a figure to a high level of detail.
    The medal is a defense of Leningrad award. I have the Histoire et Collections: The Soviet Soldier for reference but It doesn't provide a lot of information relating to the NKVD, This captain is probably not a Front line soldier with the red blue cap, bright shoulder boards and blue trousers as a German sniper would aim for him as the uniform stands out quite a bit.

Thanks for looking. John

NKVD Captain 1944-45-01-jpg

NKVD Captain 1944-45-02-jpg

NKVD Captain 1944-45-03-jpg

NKVD Captain 1944-45-04-jpg

NKVD Captain 1944-45-bag-jpg

NKVD Captain 1944-45-head-jpg

NKVD Captain 1944-45-shoulder-jpg
    Last edited by Stahlrollin; 12-07-2019 at 09:44.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: NKVD Captain 1944-45

nice work, man... master-level detailing!

very nice 2 thumbs up

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Beautiful work! How did you attach the stars?
    "Impossible is just a stage." Chris Hadfield

Hi spitfire, I used Loctite power-flex superglue mostly as it doesn't dry so hard to become brittle. Thanks for the comment on my post.

Thanks for the reply! I have some of Alexander's stars and I didn't think either super glue or fabritac would work. I will try Loctite. Thanks again. Really enjoyed your figure and the excellent detailing.
    "Impossible is just a stage." Chris Hadfield

Very well done. He looks like a master work. Congrats.

Nice work.

Hi Spitfire, just cut then out and paint before hand I used a pin to place a bit of glue in base of star to fix. As they are very tiny I had a magnifying light to help place them. Some dots from a pencil will help yu make little guide marks so they are spaced apart correctly. All the best with your version. John

Nicely done, John!

A great figure in his own right; you've upgraded DML's Alexei well!

And you've a great reference book as well! I enjoy that one a lot!

Here's a Russian online reference if you are interested:

??????-???????????? ??????? ?????

And specifically the page on the NKVD:

http://rkka.ru/uniform/files/i_nkvd.htm

My Russian is not as good as it used to be, but if you've questions, I'd be happy to try to translate things for you.

Again - well done!

Fred

Hi Fred thanks for the comment and the invaluable link to Russian uniforms. Have a great new year.

This is fantastic work. I really enjoy reading your story and detailing that went into this project too.

You're quite welcome, John!

Glad the links were helpful!

Happy New Year!

Fred

Very nice indeed. Well done.

"Classical" figure from 1/6 scale themes of Red Army. Ok. I see a historical background as it is: mistake in "plansheet" (bag) because it wasn't a "sack" shape (needle line by perimeter) - it was a special variant - one side-opened ; I see it in a miniature with difficulties, sorry for criticism. And I never understood a some kind of diorama stand, look at this one - "Red Star on circle of a tree" - WHAT IS IT? I do not understand... 4(four) grade in 5grades scale, imho... good luck.
    Last edited by Tolerancer; 02-08-2020 at 05:44. Reason: missed one letter in word

Just saw him again posted on a well known Russian IG page. They tend to only posts good examples of figures there.

Hi Joe thanks for letting me know. do you have a link if not not worries.

thanks Tolerancer. the clarity of your post will help me become a better person.

Quote Originally Posted by Stahlrollin View Post
    thanks Tolerancer. the clarity of your post will help me become a better person.
    Nothing personaly (just business)). I like miniatures as your's example, so it was commented.

"Guilty of war crimes they were feared as much by their own regular soldiers as by the enemy prisoners."
    Nope. There is no documentary evidence about this idea. Besides, many,many, many (most part, millions)) real russians persons (soldiers, officers) of WWII period didn't tell any things about this modern (took a place,after a war) idea. The main purposes of "NKVD", shortly: antiterror, acts against traitors, bandits and spies.
    Only certain unpleasant facts related to making of military ORDERS (to execute shoots) were confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stahlrollin View Post
    Hi Joe thanks for letting me know. do you have a link if not not worries.
    They also posted one of macuk's beautiful RAF pilots recently. Looks like they like to find good examples of others' work. I wish they would post credit to the artist that did the work.
    Maybe they do. I can't read Russian.
    Фигурки GSoldiers - DAMToys on Instagram: “#историяGsoldiers Имидж энкавэдэшников, преследующий их с репрессивных 30-х годов ХХ века, укоренился в массовом сознании и применительно к…”

WOW! That is superb.