planting grass

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: planting grass

planting grass

After planting my tree last week I figured I would keep working on that section,I laid down a thin coat of plaster to even it all out of the particle board,then I dug through my old house paint stock and found a medium brown that matched my local blow sand and laid it down thick,while it was still wet I covered it with finely sifted sand,would make a very good north Africa diorama but not Germany,so I started looking for something to make grass,walking around the barn I got looking at the wild grasses growing all over my place,by now they have all dried out and gone almost white,but a quick shot with a spray can and they look like live grasses again,then I pick through and find the fine end pieces or small seed groupings and make individual plants,I drill 1/8 holes in the bench and go over them with a counter sink to make stuffing the weeds down in the hole easier,it takes me about an hour to do six square inches! So I have another 8-10 hours of work just to cover this piece of bench! But I am going to put a fence line down the left side of the road and I need to do that before planting grass,now I have to wonder around my property to find 1/6 fence post!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: planting grass

Looks good. Nothing like using the real thing to model the real thing
    More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal

After trying a couple of different things to make plants I found a sage brush type plant that makes a pretty good 1/6 plant,I'm trying to make it look like some kind of cultivated plants,corn or beans, I don't have any hobby shops close by so I have to use what I can find.
    I covered the bench top with a layer of sifted potting soil,then I brush a open line and drill holes,I don't even have to glue them in,that way if I change my mind later all I have to do is cover it with a thin layer of plaster and try something else!
    I'm always open to suggestions!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That looks really good. Nothing beats the real thing. About all I could use from outside where Im at right now is snow.

We are plenty cold so I don't have as much of a choice for plants right now,but these don't die in the winter,and a little green spray paint makes them look a lot more alive then they would.
    I was going to try to incorporate some actual snow into an outdoor diorama,but ours never last very long!

Cool looking plants. Nice job.

Nice work.

Thanks! My era is may 1945 so I figured gardens would be growing by then,at that point in the war if you could you were planting so you had food! I built the garage for a scene I have wanted to do since I got started in this scale,but it needed something else beside the dirt.

I finished planting my garden today,I got a break in the weather so I walked around and found some other plants that I could use,I noticed also last night when going into the house that some plants my wife had planted in a window box has some really good looking little leaves,so I added them into the mix,I changed up the paint so I had some other shades of green.

Looks good. Prison camp garden?

During the war it was common to find gardens in most yards in a lot of Europe,especially towards the end of the war,the governments were hard pressed to feed it's soldiers let alone it's people back home,so everyone was encouraged to plant a garden,plus a lot of people that had survived the lean years between wars had gardens,so this is going to represent a standard back yard in just about any place the US had been,eventually it will be worked into a story.