One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Jiaou Doll - TPE Posing Tears and Skin Peeling Concerns

Miscellaneous Subject 
16K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  martian 
#1 · (Edited)
Last year, a local 1/6 store owner I visited, claimed that the Jiaou Doll was able to take sitting poses with bent elbows and knees for long term, as he had a number posed as such in his showcases on display. I was sceptical by his assertion.

Earlier this year, I obtained a Slave Leia set from ACPlay and matched it with a JiaouDoll 06C Wheat body. It was setup in a Jabba's Palace scene pose, and the figure had been sitting in that pose in my book display case for a little over 7 months in a room with light blocking curtains drawn.

This morning I discovered tears at the knees and one elbow.

The other is Mai Shiranui with a JiaouDoll European KT body. It too had been standing with one bend arm holding her fan. This morning, I had found tears in that elbow area. The elbow was bent at almost 90 degree pose for most of the 6 months. The thigh to groin area also has a tear, as I was reposing the legs recently.

This is humid Singapore and my room is air-conditioned whenever I am home. I am not sure if that has any part to play in the TPE material.

I had also read a post from OSF and another TPE doll maintenance site/video about the use of mineral oil applied to the TPE body in their repairs. The OSF member used it to repair the Jiaou Doll skin peeling issue, due to washing with soaps that dried the TPE causing it to peel. (Article found here: http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2186-nsfw-jiaou-3-0-european-body-color-review). This has been what I have been experiencing since my 1st v3 Jiaou Doll, in view of the stain cleaning process. I went ahead and got a bottle of Johnson's Baby Oil, which is mineral oil. On applying a little oil to the peeling areas, it softened the peeling skin, and actually widened the peel to the boundaries that stayed in place, while the peels easily got removed by rubbing the oil in the area.

The results are not perfect after drying, as the peeled off area is still visible, surrounded by the unpeeled original outlayer.

On conclusion:

1. No bent posers for 6 months. Not even near 90 degrees bend for elbows and knees.
I'm not sure if oiling the key joint areas, ie. knees and elbows, with mineral oil every once or twice a year would help avoid tears for any future posing actions.

2. No soap to be used in washing Jiaou Dolls. If needed, dry body and apply mineral oil to the TPE to avoid peeling.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Uhoh! (Going to check my Slave Leia in Jabba setup). I haven’t had that experience, yet. Though, despite having high humidity here in the Midwest US, all of my figures are in a dark fairly cool basement with constant temperature and humidity control, so that might help these things last somewhat longer. That being said, I don’t find the TPE material of Jiaou to be as durable as the food grade silicone used by TBLeague; man, I wish TBL would make a skin tone comparable to Wheaten again — and make it in one of their smaller bodies.

#3 ·
Can’t tell you about Jaiou, but this isn’t surprising.

I only use Phicen so far and none of mine has broken, not even their early offerings. Yet it can happen to them too as I recently bought a cheap Hercules from eBay. The guy said it was cheap because his club had fallen and broken. Easy fix I thought!

When it came home, I realized there were other undisclosed damage. The sin had torn at the right elbow, under the left armpit and at the left butt chick, basically in the places where the skin at been stressed in (according to the guy display photos) not such an extreme pose.

Morality? When you’re not taking pictures, use a museum pose!

#4 ·
Sorry to see your troubles with these -- it's good of you to warn others about potential issues. I don't have any Jiaou figures as my one and only attempt at using a Jiaou ended in disaster [it got very easily scratched up in my attempt to colour it with pastels], and I haven't bothered to try any others since. But it is indeed a concern even for Tbleague bodies, though all of mine are currently in storage in their neutral positions as I'm still trying to put together a decent display area. I'm located in the UK, and it's generally cold, wet, and humid here, with no air conditioning at all, only a dehumidifier. No idea what effect that will have on the seamless figures yet, since I haven't displayed anything at this point. Some of my tbleague figures are fully clothed, so I guess a few small tears wouldn't necessarily show up, but the ones that have the joint areas exposed I will have to make sure to be extra careful about posing when I finally put them on display. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Glasgow Goon Gordon
#5 ·
Sorry, but I had already the same problems with a TBLeague Figure: Red Sonja.

I sat her on a horse, with bent elbows and knees, left her in this position for more than 12 month (ok, not so clever).
When I wanted to change my diorama and put her back in her box, I saw the same tears in elbows and knees that are shown in the fotos above with the JIAOU body.

The more I get to know these seamless bodies, the more I tend to give my girls normal jointed bodies and nice dresses to cover the joints!

#8 ·
Have you tried using TPE glue on the tears, then straighten the joint so the opened holes close up? Should only take I think half an hour for the glue to set. If you can't find specific TPE glue on the regular sites like Amazon, just check a sex doll site.

#11 · (Edited)
I bought 4 Jiaou Doll bodies this January 2020, a 10C and 10D KT body and two brown 10D bodies for Kumik heads. It has been almost 8 months now, and I found tears at one shoulder each of both the above KT bodies. Both were posed normally with straight arms down and slightly apart from the body. The brown toned bodies are fine. This might be an isolated case of a bad production batch.

I glued the tear with a touch of superglue.

#14 ·
This is very disappointing.

I'm also from Singapore but I don't live/work there. I have possessions in a familial home. Whenever I visit, sometimes once a year, I will find some plastic and rubber items that are drying, cracking and disintegrating by the heat and humidity. Some metal items will oxidise and corrode. The drying and cracking of plastic and rubber leads me to think that the high humidity may not be mostly at fault. I have a dehumidifier cabinet for camera equipment but even inside a 50-60% RH environment some rubber parts can still become gummy while some grease can thicken up hence add friction. I bear in mind that the rubber parts on cameras and lenses may be better manufactured hence very few turn gummy, and I know that the grease used in them are quite but not fully resistant to drying.

#13 ·
I'm with Unfetish on this - I will never buy these overpriced, easily broken bodies, ever. I have about 40 female figures, all military, and have used mostly DML, Very Cool or BBI bodies. They might not look as good as a seamless body in the kind of outfits I see in the pictures here, but they are durable as hell and can hold their pose forever without breakage. No Jiaou or TB league bodies for me...

#15 ·
I have the same problems on the elbow of my TBLeague "Anck Su Namun". I live in Germany, so temperatures or humidity are not a big problem. My home is smoke free and the figures have places all around the house, but never in any sunlight and always where the temperatures are nearly the same the whole year. I posed her like TBLeague did, with her left arm angled...big fault, same tears like on your figure, I posed her for about three months like this. I think this one was my mistake, the angle was too much for the material over the elbow, but I didn´t expect that to happen so fast. And what I never expected was a small tear on the elbow of a TBLeague "Anubis" figure. I´m collecting onesixth scale stuff for so many years now, I have hundreds of figures, dozens of verhicles, but Anubis was my first TBLeague figure ever. He got me as I first saw him online and he is a really great looking figure, but I never thought his thick material around his metal body would have the same problems like the thinner material from the girls bodies. It is just a small cut, not so big tears like on Anck Su Namun or your figures here. I think I was lucky not to bend his arm too much.

But these issues are a pitty. I wanted to buy some more TBLeague figures, but I don´t want to spend 200 to 250 bucks for them and have a worn and useless body after half a year :(

#17 ·
2 hours only? :( Oh man, that is annoying. I know that some collectors of thes figures just take them out of their box to make some quick fotos an pack them back into the box afterwards, but keeping a figure in its original box is not my understanding of having these figures. I posed them with relaxed arms and legs now and I wait for the day when all their "flesh" will fall off and they look like a T-800 ;) :D

I hope it is okay for you when I show how I displayed them now.

1 (3) by petemit, auf Flickr

#18 · (Edited)
That's a lot of anubus guard$$$!

I share your thoughts and also display my silicon/TPE figures in the same way. And choose jointed bodies for permanent action setups. Yes, I suppose there may be a Terminator action figures village in my display cases some time in the future!!!

You could replace Anck Su Namun's damaged body with a TBL S23B, as I presume that is the model they used for this figure.

PS: Now you can create a Stargate SG-1 set for the Goa'uld!

#19 · (Edited)
I completed this custom back in 2019 and set it in this display pose since them till today.
Head Hand Outerwear Arm Human body

And then I noticed the tears at the crutch area of both legs just this morning! (I don't think the forum will allow showing the closeup.) I hope this is a one-off tear, I would not consider this as an extreme pose. Most of my other JD figures are in a somewhat similar pose as my TBLs, and they have been on display for a lot longer. So far no problems there.

#21 ·
Sory to see the tearing problems you are having. They shouldn't be doing that. Maybe J Dolls are more prone to tearing than TBL. I have only one J Doll. It is a V.3 mid bust seamless feet. I got it in 2017. So far no tearing problems. However the body is peeling in some areas in the same way as yours. I will try the baby oil. Sounds like a good idea. Just wasn't sure oil could be used on them. Thanks for the tip.

#22 ·
Below, the link from someone in Guangzhou, China, who has been testing the durability of the Jiaou Doll TPE for the past 6 months. One in 25 degree C air-conditioned room 24/7, with posed limbs. The other outside in normal room temperature, currently reported at 34 degrees C. The latter shows tears at this state.

The experiment is on going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.