Miscellaneous Subject Jiaou Doll - TPE Posing Tears and Skin Peeling Concerns

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Jiaou Doll - TPE Posing Tears and Skin Peeling Concerns

Jiaou Doll - TPE Posing Tears and Skin Peeling Concerns

Last year, a local 1/6 store owner I visited, claimed that the Jiaou Doll was able to take sitting poses with bent elbows and knees for long term, as he had a number posed as such in his showcases on display. I was sceptical by his assertion.

Earlier this year, I obtained a Slave Leia set from ACPlay and matched it with a JiaouDoll 06C Wheat body. It was setup in a Jabba's Palace scene pose, and the figure had been sitting in that pose in my book display case for a little over 7 months in a room with light blocking curtains drawn.

This morning I discovered tears at the knees and one elbow.

The other is Mai Shiranui with a JiaouDoll European KT body. It too had been standing with one bend arm holding her fan. This morning, I had found tears in that elbow area. The elbow was bent at almost 90 degree pose for most of the 6 months. The thigh to groin area also has a tear, as I was reposing the legs recently.

This is humid Singapore and my room is air-conditioned whenever I am home. I am not sure if that has any part to play in the TPE material.

I had also read a post from OSF and another TPE doll maintenance site/video about the use of mineral oil applied to the TPE body in their repairs. The OSF member used it to repair the Jiaou Doll skin peeling issue, due to washing with soaps that dried the TPE causing it to peel. (Article found here: http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.co...y-color-review). This has been what I have been experiencing since my 1st v3 Jiaou Doll, in view of the stain cleaning process. I went ahead and got a bottle of Johnson's Baby Oil, which is mineral oil. On applying a little oil to the peeling areas, it softened the peeling skin, and actually widened the peel to the boundaries that stayed in place, while the peels easily got removed by rubbing the oil in the area.

The results are not perfect after drying, as the peeled off area is still visible, surrounded by the unpeeled original outlayer.

On conclusion:

1. No bent posers for 6 months. Not even near 90 degrees bend for elbows and knees.
    I'm not sure if oiling the key joint areas, ie. knees and elbows, with mineral oil every once or twice a year would help avoid tears for any future posing actions.

2. No soap to be used in washing Jiaou Dolls. If needed, dry body and apply mineral oil to the TPE to avoid peeling.
    Last edited by martian; 10-28-2019 at 17:53.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Jiaou Doll - TPE Posing Tears and Skin Peeling Concerns

Uhoh! (Going to check my Slave Leia in Jabba setup). I haven’t had that experience, yet. Though, despite having high humidity here in the Midwest US, all of my figures are in a dark fairly cool basement with constant temperature and humidity control, so that might help these things last somewhat longer. That being said, I don’t find the TPE material of Jiaou to be as durable as the food grade silicone used by TBLeague; man, I wish TBL would make a skin tone comparable to Wheaten again — and make it in one of their smaller bodies.
    Last edited by Stryker2011; 10-27-2019 at 06:40.

Can’t tell you about Jaiou, but this isn’t surprising.

I only use Phicen so far and none of mine has broken, not even their early offerings. Yet it can happen to them too as I recently bought a cheap Hercules from eBay. The guy said it was cheap because his club had fallen and broken. Easy fix I thought!

When it came home, I realized there were other undisclosed damage. The sin had torn at the right elbow, under the left armpit and at the left butt chick, basically in the places where the skin at been stressed in (according to the guy display photos) not such an extreme pose.

Morality? When you’re not taking pictures, use a museum pose!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sorry to see your troubles with these -- it's good of you to warn others about potential issues. I don't have any Jiaou figures as my one and only attempt at using a Jiaou ended in disaster [it got very easily scratched up in my attempt to colour it with pastels], and I haven't bothered to try any others since. But it is indeed a concern even for Tbleague bodies, though all of mine are currently in storage in their neutral positions as I'm still trying to put together a decent display area. I'm located in the UK, and it's generally cold, wet, and humid here, with no air conditioning at all, only a dehumidifier. No idea what effect that will have on the seamless figures yet, since I haven't displayed anything at this point. Some of my tbleague figures are fully clothed, so I guess a few small tears wouldn't necessarily show up, but the ones that have the joint areas exposed I will have to make sure to be extra careful about posing when I finally put them on display. Thanks for the reminder.

Sorry, but I had already the same problems with a TBLeague Figure: Red Sonja.

I sat her on a horse, with bent elbows and knees, left her in this position for more than 12 month (ok, not so clever).
    When I wanted to change my diorama and put her back in her box, I saw the same tears in elbows and knees that are shown in the fotos above with the JIAOU body.

The more I get to know these seamless bodies, the more I tend to give my girls normal jointed bodies and nice dresses to cover the joints!

I agree. I am not buying the silicon bodies, no matter how great they look.

i buy only silicone bodies now, and i can attest to the issues. that said, i find that the more careful i am the less likely they are to tear.
    Hail Cobra!

Have you tried using TPE glue on the tears, then straighten the joint so the opened holes close up? Should only take I think half an hour for the glue to set. If you can't find specific TPE glue on the regular sites like Amazon, just check a sex doll site.

Thanks Mr Dave! Will try that.

Deleted.
    Last edited by martian; 02-09-2020 at 04:38.