Is 1:12 the new 1:6? - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is 1:12 the new 1:6?

Re: Is 1:12 the new 1:6?

If we could get a repop of every military figure from DAM and SS in 1/12 that would be great. K thanks SS and DAM
    The Dead Know Only One Thing: It Is Better To Be Alive

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not for me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by THE MAD DEBOXER View Post
    Not for me!!!!
    LOL, good answer.
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

1:6 is for men, and 1:12 is for boys, because boys are half the size of men.

Change my mind... ;-)
    Trade References
    Items for Sale on Ebay - PM me for OSW Member Discount

I am firmly in the 1/6 camp, and a lot of it is due to hot toys. I simply have not seen another scale with such quality and so much options.

I think it's a surprisingly complicated question. I have on my desk, right now side by side, the original TBL Captain Sparta 1/6 and the recent matching 1/12 version, which is a comparison that really brings home the question.

I think in past times the deck was stacked a lot towards 1/6 because of the high premium, super-posable, multi-material, Hot Toys, Enterbay etc figures that existed only in 1/6 -- with most of 1/12 confined to solid plastic figures, Marvel Legends etc. and nothing comparable. Over the last @ 18 months or so we've seen 1/12 really throw down the gauntlet to challenge 1/6 -- knowing 1/12 has inherent advantages for building diorama spaces, squad building, getting vehicles, etc. -- and really raising the bar on other aspects of the 1/12 figures taking what's available in 1/6 now as the model to emulate. This includes 1/6 type multi-fabric texture outfits, much improved 1/12 head sculpts (with the added bonus of 2 or 3 per fig), and other aspects emulating what used to be exclusively 1/6. This was Mezco One:12, Coo Models, others.

Things really kicked up a further notch body-wise when TBL and others contributed 1/12 silicone seamless bodies like the above-captioned Captain Sparta.

Certain issues remain where 1/12 can't match 1/6 right now and possibly never can. Then again, 15 years ago I'd never have believed Hot Toys could accomplish the sculpt quality that it did. Three areas where 1/12 can't match 1/6 now (or possibly ever) are (1) full detail of head sculpts, (2) detail quality of most accessories, and (3) customizability. The latter is because few if any 1/12 outfits that may look good are actually removable like most 1/6 are. Then again there are plenty of 1/6 outfits that aren't safely removable either. The (4th) qualifier is that the 1/6 world has achieved such an amazing inventory of just about everything existing in a 1/6 version, and 1/12 is nowhere close (except maybe just in the narrow field of Victorian dollhouse furniture).

Advantages and disadvantages to both scales, and 1/6 is my true love, but it is 1/12 that has shown the most evident recent self-challenges and self-improvement.

But it's great that both exist. Might try a photostory using both the 1/6 and 1/12 Sparta in various settings, and see if I can keep the switches from being too obvious.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Pretty much that.

I don't plan on getting rid of any 1/6 figs but I do plan to support the future 1/12 offerings that apply to my areas of interest.
    The Dead Know Only One Thing: It Is Better To Be Alive

I haven't been on here in many years. I decided to ditch 1/6 many years ago when the prices for good figures were simply unsustainable and unjustifiable. It was great fun when one could get a Dragon figure for $40 and work on making it better. There was also a huge breadth of topics. The joy of collecting, kit-bashing and customizing was lost for me when basic figures were at least $150, end every figure being produced was either a Nazi or a Navy SEAL. Sure the realism was incredible, but there just wasn't as much to be done with them in terms of painting head sculpts or sewing together custom gear.

From 1/6 I went to 1/18. That was fun, but it was a real hassle scrounging for 21st Century Toys vehicles and figures. I decided that the figure lines there were too limited for my tastes. I focus exclusively on military figures, and while the modern offerings are getting better in 1/18, too much of it is still too G.I. Joe/Sci-Fi for me.

To that end, I was quite intrigued to see the 1/12 scale offerings pop up about a year ago. I could care less about comics, but since I have always had a deep interest in the Vietnam War, I was excited about getting DAMTOYS quality figures for about half the price and half the size. For those who are dedicated to the realism of full cloth pouches and miniature metal fittings, 1/12 is a bit of a step back. It just isn't feasible to do many of the same things being done in 1/6 at half scale. I don't have those hang-ups. They are still toys, and I've always been amused that people griped about 1/6 G.I. Joes or now 1/12 Star Wars figures that are meant to be kids' toys, not comic book store collectibles.

The potential for vehicles is something else that really excites me. Back in my 1/6 days, I fantasized about having a 1/6 Huey for my Vietnam figures. I know that they exist for RC modelers, but I really can't imagine spending over $1,000 for a helicopter that would have to be stored in my garage instead of a car. 1/18 vehicles are cool, and I have several, but their quality as vehicle models is uninspiring.

That being said, there is a definite scale disparity. 1/6 long established that regardless of the relative size differences of figures, the hard measurement items, such as weapons and equipment, are a true 1/6 scale. Many of the U.S. marketed 6 in, "1/12" figures are actually 7 in and 1/11 scale. It was mentioned that the Asian 1/12 is a true 1/12. This is correct. The Crazy Figure Somalia Rangers and Delta men are 1/11 scale. The DAMTOYS SS and Vietnam War figures are a true 1/12. Then there are the Vortex Toys figures. Mind you that people aren't all in one scale. I'm 6'4", and very few people stand head and shoulders with me. So it should be with figures. So I don't mind a little differentiation in body scale as long as the equipment is consistent. The MEZCO figures can somewhat reasonably stand with the DAMTOYS figures if you consider the MEZCO dudes to be taller and more muscular. The problem, of course, is that some of the gear is just too small (such as M-1 steel helmets). These are all old scale arguments.

It was especially important for me to determine scale differences as I have started manufacturing my own 1/12 scale accessories via 3D printing. So this is also a shameless plug. If you're interested in 1/12 figures, please check out my Etsy site (this stuff is also available on E-Bay). I had long been tinkering with 3D printables, but when I saw 1/12 coming down the line I decided to get ahead of the game. Here are links:

Spare M-16 magazines for true 1/12 scale figures (DAMTOYS):

Is 1:12 the new 1:6?-img_1355-jpgIs 1:12 the new 1:6?-img_1357-jpg

1/12 True Scale 20 Round M-16 Magazines Unpainted | Etsy

1/12 True Scale 30 Round M-16 Magazines Unpainted | Etsy

Spare M-16 magazines for 1/11 scale figures (Crazy Figure):

1/11 1/12 Scale 30 Round M-16 Magazines Unpainted | Etsy

1/11 1/12 Scale 20 Round M-16 Magazines Unpainted | Etsy

1/12 Scale C-Rations:

1:12 Scale Vietnam MCI C-Ration Case for 6 Toys | Etsy

I also have 1/12 scale modern MRE cases. I will also offer rations in sheets that can be cut and assembled.

Additionally, I will soon offer 1/12 scale Vietnam War lightweight rucksack frames, O.D. subdued U.S. Army patches and Desert Storm/Somalia era MRE cases for the Crazy Figure sets.

In the long run, I hope to be able to make enough money to come up with some vehicle kits than can be printed.

Please PM me with any questions. Thanks!
    Last edited by Apache26; 01-01-2020 at 23:50. Reason: Add info

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint, it makes complete sense from your perspective why you'd get into 1/12. And I totally agree with you on the discussion about scale discrepancies between the various '1/12' lines -- that's one of the things that's been preventing me from getting further into it, as height differences between characters is important to me.

And no worries for the shameless plug, lol. It's always good to know what is out there, and kudos to you for printing stuff in that scale.
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    I think it's a surprisingly complicated question. I have on my desk, right now side by side, the original TBL Captain Sparta 1/6 and the recent matching 1/12 version, which is a comparison that really brings home the question.

I think in past times the deck was stacked a lot towards 1/6 because of the high premium, super-posable, multi-material, Hot Toys, Enterbay etc figures that existed only in 1/6 -- with most of 1/12 confined to solid plastic figures, Marvel Legends etc. and nothing comparable. Over the last @ 18 months or so we've seen 1/12 really throw down the gauntlet to challenge 1/6 -- knowing 1/12 has inherent advantages for building diorama spaces, squad building, getting vehicles, etc. -- and really raising the bar on other aspects of the 1/12 figures taking what's available in 1/6 now as the model to emulate. This includes 1/6 type multi-fabric texture outfits, much improved 1/12 head sculpts (with the added bonus of 2 or 3 per fig), and other aspects emulating what used to be exclusively 1/6. This was Mezco One:12, Coo Models, others.

Things really kicked up a further notch body-wise when TBL and others contributed 1/12 silicone seamless bodies like the above-captioned Captain Sparta.

Certain issues remain where 1/12 can't match 1/6 right now and possibly never can. Then again, 15 years ago I'd never have believed Hot Toys could accomplish the sculpt quality that it did. Three areas where 1/12 can't match 1/6 now (or possibly ever) are (1) full detail of head sculpts, (2) detail quality of most accessories, and (3) customizability. The latter is because few if any 1/12 outfits that may look good are actually removable like most 1/6 are. Then again there are plenty of 1/6 outfits that aren't safely removable either. The (4th) qualifier is that the 1/6 world has achieved such an amazing inventory of just about everything existing in a 1/6 version, and 1/12 is nowhere close (except maybe just in the narrow field of Victorian dollhouse furniture).

Advantages and disadvantages to both scales, and 1/6 is my true love, but it is 1/12 that has shown the most evident recent self-challenges and self-improvement.

But it's great that both exist. Might try a photostory using both the 1/6 and 1/12 Sparta in various settings, and see if I can keep the switches from being too obvious.
    Really good points here, and I completely agree. Despite myself, I have been pretty impressed with some of those recent 1/12 offerings, especially the tbleague figures like that Captain Sparta that you mention. Though I also agree with you on the areas that you list where I feel uncertain 1/12 will ever be able to realistically compare. And the main stickler for me personally is: customizability. While I can completely understand why people who are mainly into collecting, photographing dioramas, etc, would gravitate towards 1/12 nowadays, I personally cannot fully embrace it for that reason alone. In other words, while the factories and those with professional digital or 3D printing abilities might be able to achieve a higher level of detail in 1/12 these days than was ever possible in the past, the regular person who just wants to customize everything by hand [like me] simply cannot. Making detailed, realistic clothing at that scale is pretty tough, and usually requires wire inside to shape it. And even just painting a 1/12 headsculpt by hand is insanely difficult, and doesn't always achieve great results, regardless of how skilled one is. So for those reasons alone, it's still not really physically possible for me to achieve the level of customization at that scale that I'd like, and may never be. That's the biggest reason why I still stick to 1/6 when it comes to creating custom figures.

Bought one of these to compare them to the 1/6 scale ones. No comparison. Detail...good detail on the HS and the clothes and some weapons. But no comparison to the 1/6 scale. I deal with Fullmetal customs. We get all scales, but mostly 1/6, but we get also 1/4 scale project. LM tell you...1/4 is way more expensive than 1/6. That is because when you scale up, more detail. So 1/12 is not going to be 1/6 and 1/6 is not going to be 1/4. My 2 cents on the matter.
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait