Vietnam Forums

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam Forums

Vietnam Forums

Anything good for Vietnam 1/6? This used to be my go to, but things have seem to fractured..

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Vietnam Forums

I miss the Vietnam contingent here on OSW. They were always up to something great!

Hope they will return soon!

Fred

I know where the Modern Figure contingent went and the Female Figure collectors. But where did all of the Vietnam guys go? Used to see a fair mount of discussion here..

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Too hard to post pics now. FB.

miss them to

I lost the password to my original profile (JokersWarPig) and got really bummed out by it. I come here under this one from time to time to see whats going on, but I mostly post my Vietnam stuff (and other hobbies) on Instagram
    Akuze-Casualty on Instagram: “Combat load almost done...need to find a poncho for his ruck and another bandolier. He doesn’t look like he has enough ammo. I’m subbing…”

There is also a facebook page I post on as well as some other members from here called Grunt Six Actual. Some members from here I've seen post there as well.
    Last edited by BELTWAY; 05-17-2019 at 08:57.

this site sucks now. all the regulars have jumped ship to FB. that's where all the action is these days. i'm pretty sure this place will never recover due to the new owners' negligence.

peace
    Miguel

(3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)

I agree with the site not being what it used to be, but at least there are alternatives. Sadly I don't think any of them will ever be what this community used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BELTWAY View Post
    I agree with the site not being what it used to be, but at least there are alternatives. Sadly I don't think any of them will ever be what this community used to be.
    I am an administrator on a group with over 500 members (and growing) with NEW content every single day. it's the '1/6th WiP' group and ALSO belong to dozens of other 1/6th groups. Trust me FACEBOOK has surpassed anything any forum could of done. It's easier to post pics and replies are by the hundreds minute by minute for all members. it's where it's at, no forum has ever done that. I AM just talking about the 1/6th military aspect of it AND not that "hot toys/sideshow freaks- iron man- 12th version- garbage" (AND there are 100s of those on FB 1/6th groups TOO)...lol. My cents and my opinion...

peace
    Miguel
    Last edited by LizardKing1968; 05-17-2019 at 13:29.

Quote Originally Posted by NOSAJ19 View Post
    Too hard to post pics now. FB.
    I agree. This forum used to be the number one place for anything 1/6th related but the inability to easily post pictures has doomed it. As LizardKing1968 said, its very easy to post pictures on Facebook and the groups there are very active. I constantly get 1/6th related content in my Facebook feed.

OSW used to be my most visited site on the internet but I rarely come here anymore. I hate to say it but this forum is dying, it's a shadow of what it used to be. It's plain for anyone to see.

Facebook is great but having to scroll through hundreds if not a thousand replies is one of its downfalls.

While FB has some ease of use, I did notice we are all still in here. Maybe not in the same numbers, or in my case posting as often as I used to. But I still make an effort to come in here and post, and see what is happening. And you all are commenting here as well, so the place isn't totally dead.

And I miss the Nam groups here as well. I only had a few figures, as I couldn't collect everything, but it was one of my favorite themes to watch here.

Lets keep posting if we can, or care to.

There are other options for just military figures, like Armed Figures . I am sure we could get a Nam area started over there as well.

It has been a looooong time since I posted or even logged on here. Vietnam was/is my favorite era to collect. I drop in here once or twice a week to lurk but the board is just too unreliable.

I do miss the small but very talented and knowledgeable Vietnam group that used to post here.

I'm not into FB so maybe I'll look into another board.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn92 View Post
    It has been a looooong time since I posted or even logged on here. Vietnam was/is my favorite era to collect. I drop in here once or twice a week to lurk but the board is just too unreliable.

I do miss the small but very talented and knowledgeable Vietnam group that used to post here.

I'm not into FB so maybe I'll look into another board.
    If you or anyone else here finds more good Vietnam forums let me know. I'm in the process of customizing my first Vietnam figures and am in need of help.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Facebook is great but having to scroll through hundreds if not a thousand replies is one of its downfalls.
    downfall?? LoL, you're kidding right?! that's the whole point dude. Trust me, all the 1/6th luminaries you grew up with are ALL there. Forums are all dead, it's official...well with the exception of the SSF collectors forum..(garbage) . LoL.

peace
    Miguel

My first pics after long vacation. Haven't posted anything here las 5-6 years. And yes, looks like most of us on fb now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vietnam Forums-viber-image-2019-05-24-23-20-37-jpg   Vietnam Forums-viber-image-2019-05-24-23-19-14-jpg  
    Last edited by rokot; 05-31-2019 at 04:30.

I moderate that board; I have not seen a new post there in a very long time. I still spend quite a bit of time removing the scam posts etc, but those efforts will be ending soon if no one else visits. The scarcity of new Nam figures and the lack of loose parts certainly are not helping the genre
    I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by jon math View Post
    I moderate that board; I have not seen a new post there in a very long time. I still spend quite a bit of time removing the scam posts etc, but those efforts will be ending soon if no one else visits. The scarcity of new Nam figures and the lack of loose parts certainly are not helping the genre
    I've been acquiring a good bit of loose gear and uniforms as of late. I've also been seeing some figures being released. I will admit that compared to lots of folks I am very new to the scene. Are you telling us there used to be way more Vietnam figures and loose gear available? If so then what's taking its place? WWII? Modern era?...?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday View Post
    I've been acquiring a good bit of loose gear and uniforms as of late. I've also been seeing some figures being released. I will admit that compared to lots of folks I am very new to the scene. Are you telling us there used to be way more Vietnam figures and loose gear available? If so then what's taking its place? WWII? Modern era?...?
    Back in the good old days Dragon had a full line of Nam offerings. Green Berets, Marines, SOG, Col Moore. Side Show did the Platoon figures and John Wayne in Green Beret uniform, SOTW had figures as did 21st.
    I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by jon math View Post
    Back in the good old days Dragon had a full line of Nam offerings. Green Berets, Marines, SOG, Col Moore. Side Show did the Platoon figures and John Wayne in Green Beret uniform, SOTW had figures as did 21st.
    Not to mention the Toy Soldier stuff - some very nice figures there and accessories too. Now, the only one who seems to do 'Nam stuff is ACE (apart, of course the 'Animal Mother' M-60 gunner from DAM Toys) and even then, releases are spotty.

I still pop into the MACV-SOG site now and then to see what's new - still some great archival info there ... the site I used to look after, Groundpounders HQ, is unfortunately no more.

I still miss the old format (and camaraderie) of this forum ...

Miguel is spot on about everything he's said regarding Facebook.

The ease of posting photos there will end the forums... just try telling a kid these days he's got to upload the photo to a hosting site and then copy and paste the link on the forum to get his picture to show up... Might as well make the dial up internet connection noise while you're doing it.

Plus, all the limitations and charges now for formerly free photo hosting sites... Requiescat in pace the forums.

Fred

I don't understand why the forums can't be upgraded to be more user friendly.

I disagree FB sucks! The people really interested in what we do are HERE! rokot! the photos you posted are Great! The last one looks like a guy I knew at Tonkin Gulf!
    I'm thinking of doing a "China Beech" diao.

Quote Originally Posted by PT309USN View Post
    I disagree FB sucks! The people really interested in what we do are HERE! rokot! the photos you posted are Great! The last one looks like a guy I knew at Tonkin Gulf!
    I do wish forums was more of a thing. I'm not very FB savvy. I'm still learning it. I do think the forums makes it easier to lookup things though.

Quote Originally Posted by PT309USN View Post
    looking at your post i see you're a newbie. you obviously don't know how great this forum use to be. now all the 1/6ers INCLUDING the companies you buy your figures from are ALL ON FB.
    peace
    Miguel
    Last edited by LizardKing1968; 07-06-2019 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing1968 View Post
    looking at your post i see you're a newbie. you obviously don't know how great this forum use to be. now all the 1/6ers INCLUDING the companies you buy your figures from are ALL ON FB.
    peace
    Miguel
    Agreed here. My original profile I made in 2008, the forum was a lot better then and had a lot more people.

Speaking of Vietnam figures. I finally finished my first custom one. I'll try to post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing1968 View Post
    now all the 1/6ers INCLUDING the companies you buy your figures from are ALL ON FB.
    peace
    Miguel
    Not me, I deleted my FB account earlier this year and I do not miss it in the least bit.

For me, FB started off ok, but then it seemed to go off the rails and you would see someone you went to elementary school with fighting someone you used to work with just about everyday.

Posting pics here really is a nightmare, how can it be so simple to post pics on SAG and Sixth Division and so hard here?

FB is great for news and an initial response but for complicated posts that might have 100s of replies it just becomes so monotonous...let alone trying to find a post from months or even years back.