Miscellaneous Subject Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

Hi All,

I was waiting for my TBLeague Pale body to arrive from China so that I could do this collective cross brand colour matching photo shoot, but it's been delayed and still in transit. But I couldn't wait any longer as the old year is done, and I wanted to help answer those nagging questions that many of you have (I've seen them in various 1/6 forums), as I have been having over the past 2 years, and no one could or wanted to answer them (for God knows what reason).

There is an old VeryCool colour matching review here, a Jiaou Doll, male and female body colour matching thread here, and way lots about Phicen/TBLeague. In fact, in the past 2 years (since 2017), when I started kitbashing, when I asked the critical questions to the old birds (chinese dialect for experienced people) trying to find a cross match between TBLeague and Very Cool to match a HS, I knew some people had them because they had been showcased separately here. But no...silence. It was Phicen Phicen only. No one wanted to talk about anything else expect Phicen, especially during the Phicen/JiaouDoll legal action period in 2017.

So, as the old saying goes, if you wanted something done, you just have to do it yourself.

This collection of female bodies is small, but it covers the main brands that are probably the most popularly used in kitbashing (short of the TBL Pale which I was hoping to compare with the JD Pink).

I am missing the Very Cool FX02-C which is in this older photo below. It is currently in the Batgirl outfit, so I couldn't show the skin tone because of that. But it would match up with TBLeague's new suntan, Pop Toys Xing suntan and JiaouDoll's KT, and probably the new Wheat (BS01) which was introduced for the Jiaou Doll European body (which I don't have).

Someone asked about the VeryCool Jessica Alba head somewhere, and it comes closest now to the Jiaou Doll Wheat (BS). I believe the Jiaou Doll Brown is a Kumik HS match (if someone can confirm that) and so may not work for Jessica Alba HS.

ZC Toys Elizabeth Olsen HS seem the darkest in hand, and is still darker than the JD old Wheat, but the tone is somewhat more like KT, but darker. It's a strange in-between, but darker. I don't have a JD Black to match, but I was informed that Black is actually greyish.

You can see that the new 2018 JD Wheat is much lighter than the 2017 version, so much so that Slave Leia actually works better with the old Wheat. YM Toys Song HS is also a different tone compared to the new Wheat.

My SuperDuck SDH005 type head which is from the PowerGirl set, does not match anything except the Kumik body (which is a rather poor design). The SuperDuck HS comes closest next to the JiaouDoll new Wheat (BS), but the HS is comparatively lighter and richer in tone. But I suspect that SuperDuck has a couple of skin tones for this HS type, which has been released in different variations (plus the new movable eye versions).

JiaouDoll's new 2018 KT is much lighter than their 2017 KT. I suspect Kimi KT004 HS was possibly lightened to match the TBLeague suntan. Thus JiaouDoll lightened their colour, and so it now pretty much matches up to almost every head sculpt that TBLeague new suntan/VeryCool -C/Pop Toys Xing suntan matches (probably included Jiaou Doll new Wheat BS01). This tone seems to be the common popular baseline for skin tones.

The Wondery Ava elf HS matches very closely to the Jiaou Doll Natural (YS). Unfortunately, I haven't got my TBLeague Pale to check the colour match.

Similarly, this SuperDucks set019 2B HS is waiting for that TBLeague S4B Pale body, which I discovered from CAM7's photo review (for set015) to be slightly off, with the HS richer in tone. Unless the set019 has a slightly different tone to the set 015, it seems to fit exactly to JiaouDoll's Pink (PM) tone. Will update this photo once the TBL S4B arrives.

Hope this is informative to you kitbashers out there. I wish I had this information when I was starting up!

Happy New Year 2019!!!
    Last edited by martian; 01-06-2019 at 05:16.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

Thanks for the info! Really a pain matching heads & bodies!
    I'm still looking for suitable bodies for AC Play Slave Leia, ZC Black Widow clone & Maria Hill clone... all heads with exceptionally dark skintones!
    "If symptoms persist... insult your doctor."

Re: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

Quote Originally Posted by rollotomasi View Post
    Thanks for the info! Really a pain matching heads & bodies!
    I'm still looking for suitable bodies for AC Play Slave Leia, ZC Black Widow clone & Maria Hill clone... all heads with exceptionally dark skintones!
    The current best match for ACPlay Slave Leia is the JiaouDoll Wheat for seamless bodies. Unless you are somehow able to get hold of an old MB Wheat body. Otherwise there is only the VeryCool type B tone body. It seems there is simply no other choice in the market.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the information!

i have TBLeague S23A
    Can you suggest some head which have skin match good with this skin body ? i try find that for a while
    tks first
    Last edited by av98; 01-06-2019 at 05:47.

Quote Originally Posted by av98 View Post
    i have TBLeague S23A
    Can you suggest some head which have skin match good with this skin body ? i try find that for a while
    tks frist
    The above 1st colour matching photo shows the S23B new suntan body (have corrected the text error) with a matching Kimi KT005. This HS is probably the best colour much amount the others within this colour range. There is no S23A. The S22A is a pale skin tone which I don't have. I am still waiting for my S4B pale to arrive!
    Last edited by martian; 01-06-2019 at 05:19.

Quote Originally Posted by martian View Post
    The above 1st colour matching photo shows the S23B new suntan body (have corrected the text error) with a matching Kimi KT005. This HS is probably the best colour much amount the others within this colour range. There is no S23A. The S22A is a pale skin tone which I don't have. I am still waiting for my S4B pale to arrive!
    Ops, my mistake, that S22A.
    I looking for your update with S4B.
    Super duck have new series HS in 2019, i think i will try match S22A with them and hope it match good
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by av98 View Post
    Ops, my mistake, that S22A.
    I looking for your update with S4B.
    Super duck have new series HS in 2019, i think i will try match S22A with them and hope it match good
    Thank you.
    The Wondery Ava elf head apparently also matches the TBLeague pale according to this thread: Review 1/6 Wondery Ava Headsculpt

I will confirm when I receive my S4B.

Here's a little update I promised since I finally received my TBLeague S04B Pale body from a Taobao seller (btw, I buy via Taobao sellers now, as they are way cheaper incl. shipping than eBay comparatively, if you are located in Asia.)

The TBL Pale is somewhat kind of a little greyish in person if you compare it with the Jiaou Doll Natural and the Pink. TBL is in between those 2 tones. Both the Superduck set019 2B head and the Wondery Ava head actually work very well with the TBL pale body, even though side by side comparisons of these 2 head tones show that the Superduck is significantly paler than the Wondery Ava head tone.

Looking at cam 7's review Nier Automata of Super Duck's set015 release, it seems to me now, by comparison, that the set019 2B head is lighter than the previous set015 release, as this set019 match the TBL Pale tone much much better.

The Pink Jiaou Doll on the right also works with both heads, but the Wondery Ava head seems a touch darker in tone. The Super duck set019 head works well with thin Jiaou Doll Pink, although the head is a touch less yellowish than the body.

PS. After testing between all 3 bodies with regards to the Wondery Ava head, I still think the skin tone still kind of works better with the Jiaou Doll Natural body.
    Last edited by martian; 01-23-2019 at 08:10.

Great collection. Also great work.

For Body/Head skin match you could check this post:

Phicen Skin tone help

Just to update you, below are my latest HS matches since the last time.

The GACToys GC017D HS matches both the JiaouDoll KT body as well as TBL new Suntan. In hand, it is an exact match to the JiaouDoll KT tone.

The YMToys YMT09A elf HS is lighter than the TBL new suntan, and in hand, seems to match better with a TBL Pale tone (to me).

On the right, the Superduck HSs, set027 (One Piece Navigator), set019 (2B) and set030 (A2), as well as the Wondery EP01 Ava elf HS, all work best with the TBL Pale toned body. They also work with the JiaouDoll Pink (PM) toned body. JiaouDoll also has a new White WS01 (10E-removeable feet & 09F-seamless feet) available only for their Euro body type, which is said to match the TBL Pale tone (I have no confirmation on this).
    Last edited by martian; 03-15-2019 at 23:46.

Thanks for your update, keep it up man

This thread is so awesome it should be stickied.

The YMToys YMT09A elf HS is lighter than the TBL new suntan, and in hand, seems to match better with a TBL Pale tone (to me).
    I can confirm the YMT09A Elf HS is the pale version and will fit the TBL pale tone fine.
    S26A HS VMToys Elf Pale by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

The YMT09B Elf HS is the suntan version and will fit the TBL suntan tone fine. A word of caution, some ebay sellers are listing this as pale tone. That is incorrect and it's actually suntan. Here's a pic of it on the pale skin tone body and you can see it's not a good match.
    S26A HS VMToys Elf Suntan by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Thanks doodlehobby for your lovely photos!

Just an update on my latest head and body matches.

Firstly the YMToys YM08-D Suntan Mai Shiranui HS. It matches both the JiaouDoll KT tone body and the TBL Suntan tone. Although in hand (below), the Jiaou Doll KT toned body is a closer match to both the YMT08-D and the SuperDuck set012 HS.

Below is the YMToys YM08-D HS and TBL S23B Suntan combination. This is actually the TBL Narama Huntress body I used.

Next below are the the Wondery EP01 Ava elf HS and YMToys YMT09A elf HS, both on TBL S10D Pale bodies and wearing the Lucifer Valkyria (Left) and TBL Narama (Right) outfits respectively.

Sailor Venus (Superduck set027 HS)has a new TBL S10D body now.
    Last edited by martian; 04-20-2019 at 10:57.

Initially, looking at the TBL Narama Huntress body, assumed that it was the S23B. However when I setup my S23B (Emma Frost - left) next to the Narama body (Mai Shiranui - right), it is clear that the latter is similar in ways, but much more muscular than the S23B.

Just want to share a shot of the Very Cool Jenner A version head on the Jiaou Doll LB 10D KT tone body below. The colour match is exact. I've compared the HS to the TBL Suntan (the next closest match), which is a touch lighter than the HS.

I came across this info on the new TBL S28A and S29B size comparisons and borrowed their comparisons photo below.

From left - TBL S09C, S01A. S28A, and Jiaou Doll European JOQ-09F bodies

The site description says that the TBL S28A arms and waist are chunkier, and the feet are larger compared to the other TBL bodies. Thus, they highlight caution when purchasing shoes for this figure.

PS. Another borrowed photo to show the body & feet size difference compared to the TBL S23B.
    Last edited by martian; 05-25-2019 at 20:08.

This is an experiment I attempted in the last 6 months, trying to find a matching Barbie HS to the loose Threezero Michonne body from ebay. The Barbie head is from the Barbie Fashionistas Rainbow Sparkle Doll. It's a very close match, just a little darker than the body. I secured the head in place with a standard HT type neck connector attached to the body first, before pushing the head on. The Barbie head joint is a tight fit to the connector and neck post, allowing the head to turn only sideways, but not up and down.

I'll have to do something about the pink lips later, which are too glary.

This Threezero body has essentially hot toys type hands and feet joins. The hands were easy to solve with VeryCool gloved hands. As for the feet ball joints, luckily I had an unused PopToys Xing body set where the feet adaptor and feet options helped to get these white Flirty Girl PU boots in place.

Because of the PopToys feet adaptor fitting, the overall height of this figure became much taller than the rest...supermodel height!

Hope this info is helpful.

PS. This Barbie HS really doesn't look as great in hand, but somehow always looks really photogenic in the shots! I had actually been sourcing for other alternatives until these photos changed my mind. Her dark tone reminds me of Grace Jones from the Bond film!
    Last edited by martian; 06-22-2019 at 04:30.

Hi martian, enjoying your posts, thank you! Nice to see another Sailor Moon enthusiast.
    Definitely want one or two, though closer to the original in design. Might have to learn how to sew... -.-

Love that Very Cool Jenner HS and you got me tempted in buying a Jiaou body after all. Really don't want to, but I have a few head sculpts that just won't go with the suntan. Just ordered an old S06, so will see whether that fixes the problem. Posability and stability are really important to me. At this point I have them all standing on their own without stand. Painkiller Jane and Van Helsing boots help! ^^

Initially, looking at the TBL Narama Huntress body, assumed that it was the S23B. However when I setup my S23B (Emma Frost - left) next to the Narama body (Mai Shiranui - right), it is clear that the latter is similar in ways, but much more muscular than the S23B.
    I think Emma's (love her!!) boots are playing a trick on the eye, cause they are covering all those muscles. If I cover up the same part of your Huntress, then the legs look exactly the same to me. And the legs look just like those of my Pankiller Jane (still my fav), which is an S23B.

Thanks Aeryn!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryn View Post
    Just ordered an old S06, so will see whether that fixes the problem. Posability and stability are really important to me. At this point I have them all standing on their own without stand. Painkiller Jane and Van Helsing boots help! ^^
    S06 have seamless feet, so free standing without a stand is usually a problem with these. Similarly, I couldn't get my Neir Automata 2B with a S04 body to stand on its own!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryn View Post
    I think Emma's (love her!!) boots are playing a trick on the eye, cause they are covering all those muscles. If I cover up the same part of your Huntress, then the legs look exactly the same to me. And the legs look just like those of my Pankiller Jane (still my fav), which is an S23B.
    I think you are right. I was too lazy to remove the boots to eyeball it!!!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info you have been posting here. Been too busy on the other site to notice until now, but I'm sure it has been appreciated by many.
    I can't see a thing in this helmet.
    http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the info you have been posting here. Been too busy on the other site to notice until now, but I'm sure it has been appreciated by many.
    Thanks for your appreciation GF!

Just some more updates...and at this point I have run out of display space...but I still seem to be adding more...

I received my 1st Brown skin toned Jiaou doll today for a Starfire project, plus Ms Marvel, and thought I'd do a colour tone lineup comparisons update here.

The CGL T-10 Angelina Jolie HS and GACToys Natalie Portman HS (which lacks the eye shadow that was shown in the promo sales pic) both match the TBL new Suntan body. Although the Angelina Jolie HS is a little lighter, but still not matching the TBL Pale body. My complain with the Jolie HS is that the chin to neck spacing is way too short/close.

The old Kumik 13-49 matching VeryCool FX-02-D is actually lighter than the current 2019 Kumik 16-21B that matches the JiaouDoll Brown skin tone exactly. I think this brown tone is beautiful!!! The FireGirl Toys purple top is actually too short at the back and doesn't hookup for this body (or the Threezero below), so I had to stitch-in velcro extensions to make it fit.

The Brie Larson HS by new brand Manco Toys actually seems more matching in tone to the JD Wheat body. But the HS darker tone is actually makeup and the actual HS material tone matches KT (TBL new Suntan is too light for this HS). Any way, Brie Larson has a lighter complexion, so I left it on the existing KT body which I had previously setup with the PopToys HS below.

This attempt below of Starfire was based on the Titans tv series. But The barbie head is just too big (larger than the general HS for 1/6 figures) and doesn't fit into the Threezero neck, thus showing a really long neck. Plus the joints just put me off! And the feet ball joint is Hot toys sized (larger than TBL/JD standard), and only PopToys body sets provide fitting adaptors for their feet (nobody makes Hot Toys to TBL/JD feet adaptors. Those available on ebay are HT to HT extensions.). Thus the FlirtyGirl Toys pink/purple ankle boots intended for this character couldn't work, and I was limited to HT ball socket boots.

After looking up comic artwork, this version of Starfire resulted.

Last edited by martian; 09-28-2019 at 00:10. Reason: Add photo

Thanks for the update and the added notes.
    I can't see a thing in this helmet.
    http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/

Reference my Jessica Alba KO HS post back in 2017: Beware of Non-standard Knock-offs - Jessica Alba HS

I tried this HS (NOT the VeryCool HS) on JiaouDoll Brown JOQ-10D-BM body. This KO head tone still doesn't really matchup in hand, but it is the closest match compared to all the above body tones as reviewed. As the neck opening is not made to accommodate the standard HT neck connector, and it is too large/loose for a JD or TBL neck ball joint, it will require some blutack, sponge, tubing, plastic wrap, etc to secure it down.
    Last edited by martian; 10-19-2019 at 05:48. Reason: corrected error

I received the VeryCool VCF-2035 Vera headsculpt from China today. This skin tone actually falls between the JiaouDoll KT tone on the light end, and the JiaouDoll Wheat BS on the darker end.

This test on the 2017 JD Wheat BS. The headsculpt is a slight touch lighter, although very close.

This one is on the 2018 Jiaou Doll Wheat BS tone which seems more yellowish compared to the headsculpt.

The JiaouDoll KT body tone also seems close too, but the headsculpt is a touch darker than the body. The TBL Suntan is much too light.

In conclusion, since the 2017 JD Wheat tone is no longer available, the current JD KT tone would be the best option, IMHO.

Ps. Of course, the body Vera was created to match is VeryCool FX-02-B body tone...which on examination, isn't exactly a perfect match either!
    Last edited by martian; 08-17-2019 at 20:26.

Think I've gone overboard with 1/6 HSs lately. I need to stop!

Here is Superduck sddx01-B HS. I gelled her fringe a little in an attempt for a Tifa Lockhart look. Here's a test shot on a TBL S10D Pale body. The skin tone matches exactly.

This is the 1st set of HSs Superduck has produced with adjustable eyes. The scalp part is removable and magnetically held to the face part, just like BJD (ball jointed doll) heads.

The HS neck hole cannot house a standard neck connector. The hole is sized and shaped internally in depth exactly to fit the TBL neck ball post.

Below is a test with the HS on the JiaouDoll MB Pink body tone (which also matches very well in colour tone to this HS). The HS simply sits shallow into the JD neck post. There is insufficent grip and the HS falls off easily when tilted. The HS connection is NOT made to hold on a JiaouDoll neck post. This also means it will not hold on a Verycool or PopToys Xing neck post. These HSs of this type (and I presume the other such releases on the way by this company) are designed specifically to fit only the TBL neck post. This is no good...

PS. Because of the lack of a neck connector in the way the head's neck socket hole is designed, Superduck includes a certain sticky substance (like drying glue or silicon) in the neck socket that tightens and provides friction to the TBL ball joint when inserted. I believe, their intent is for a 1 or 2 time placement and stay. I have taken the HS in & out several times, trying it on several bodies, and this sticky substance which coats the TBL neck post, has been used up. Without it, the HS sits rather loosely on the neck ball joint like Mr booble head. I will have to use some plastic wrap to pack-up and tighten the neck joint.
    Last edited by martian; 09-06-2019 at 19:59.

I received the TBLeague S32A Pale model body over the weekend. The body is taller than the general TBL designs as shown below, taller specifically due to longer legs. The shoulders and hips are narrower compared to the S10D Pale body. And it did feel a little strange to me at first in terms of the S32A body proportion. I adjusted the shoulders to straighten it, as it came originally with very sloping shoulders. The joint articulation of the S32A is also much smoother to move, unlike the tight stiffer joints I have been experiencing from TBL bodies.

The intent here was to give the elves a taller body. The arms of the S32A are thicker than the general TBL size as in the S10D. I found it a task to secure the Lucifer Valkyria and TBL Narama arm bracelets and gauntlets in place, while keeping the hands from popping out by the gauntlet over the thick forearms it was being forced through.

On another subject, I discovered that Superduck's Neir Automata 2B's black blindfold and clothes are stainers. Too late to save the head!

I had the blindfold on for 6 months already, so I simply put the blindfold back on, never to take it out again!

This was an earlier outdoor photo posted back in March 2019.
    Last edited by martian; 10-20-2019 at 00:26. Reason: error correction

An update on Starfire, now with new customised boots, and the Superduck SDDX01-B head setup as Tifa Lockhart (JXtoys JX08). The Tifa black outfit pieces are confirmed stainers and I have plastic wrappings under them to protect the TBL S10D Pale body.