Miscellaneous Subject Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

Re: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

I received the VeryCool Toys VCL-1001 Catlady set today, and this is the colour tone comparisons for the HS. This will be the Black Cat character from Spider-man.

The Catlady HS is a little more yellow when compared to the PopToys Xing, JiaouDoll KT tone, and the TBL Suntan bodies (the PopToys Suntan being the lightest tone of the 3 bodies). None of them are an exact match to the VC HS. As the VeryCool FX-01 or 02 -C toned body matches the TBL Suntan tone, the HS is tonally a touch darker compared to both bodies. (My VC body is in the Batgirl suit, but I compared the neck tone!). But the HS is lighter than the JiaouDoll KT body. Conclusion: the TBL Suntan or VeryCool FX01or02-C bodies are both the closest matches.
    Last edited by martian; 10-12-2019 at 03:11.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

I have a pair of the blue archer elf sandle feet. They're bigger than the rest of the female phicen feet. Almost the size of the male phicen feet. Don't know if anyone else noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I have a pair of the blue archer elf sandle feet. They're bigger than the rest of the female phicen feet. Almost the size of the male phicen feet. Don't know if anyone else noticed that.
    Confirmed, Native!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Interesting thread. I hope I can ask for some advice here: I want to make a figure of Alice (Milla Jovovich) from the final scene in the first Resident Evil movie. In the scene she is only dressed in a white blanket and she looks pretty distraught.

I found a head I like, but haven't ordered it yet. It's the Kumik 13-89.
    I also want to try a Jiaou Doll body, type 10C because I think it's the smallest available breast size on a seamless body. But I read that it's difficult matching Kumik heads to most seamless bodies? Would Jiaou Doll 10C YS kinda match Kumik, or is it too far off? If so, are there any other recommendations?

The Brown Jiaou Doll body JOQ- 10C- BM is the one that matches Kumik heads. My Starfire character I posted previously above is one such tone (but that's a 10D body).

Thanks martian!

Hmm, I have no idea how dark the brown skintone Jiaou Doll is. But somehow I can't imagine a Milla Jovovich hradsculpt being that dark from the pictures I've seen. The actress' skintone is kinda light actually.

I think I'll buy the headsculpt first to see how it looks. Worst case scenario is I have to repaint it.

Martian,
    I too have the SDDX01 Super Duck moveable eyes head. I've had a couple of frustrating moments with it on a Phicen body. Firstly, the hair wig kept coming off, and I noticed that the magnet receiver had come away and was attached to the other part, so I pulled them apart, and tried to stick the other end back into the head. Unfortunately, the magnet never worked after that, so I've decided not to move the eyes, and glue the hair wig/sculpt permanently onto the head sculpt.
    Next, I've noticed the same as you with the glue type substance used in the neck. I've removed the head from the neck several times, and so now it won't stay in place very well. I am curious as to what you mean by some plastic wrap to pack-up and tighten the next joint. I'd like to know more details on that, so she doesn't keep losing her head...

Quote Originally Posted by londonroadhog View Post
    Martian,
    I too have the SDDX01 Super Duck moveable eyes head. I've had a couple of frustrating moments with it on a Phicen body. Firstly, the hair wig kept coming off, and I noticed that the magnet receiver had come away and was attached to the other part, so I pulled them apart, and tried to stick the other end back into the head. Unfortunately, the magnet never worked after that, so I've decided not to move the eyes, and glue the hair wig/sculpt permanently onto the head sculpt.
    Next, I've noticed the same as you with the glue type substance used in the neck. I've removed the head from the neck several times, and so now it won't stay in place very well. I am curious as to what you mean by some plastic wrap to pack-up and tighten the next joint. I'd like to know more details on that, so she doesn't keep losing her head...
    The problem with the loose magnet is experienced with those 1/3 BJD heads too. I solved it by supergluing the magnets to their respective head parts. But before you do so, make sure u mark the sides of the magnet pieces with a marker so that they r glued down in the CORRECT face (one side attracts, the other side repells! Remember your primary school science!)

Below shows the use of kitchen plastic wrap (for food) to thicken up the neck post enough for the HS to sit tightly in place. Sorry, the photos are just a quick and dirty shot!
    Last edited by martian; 11-20-2019 at 07:07.

Thanks... This helps.. I'll give it a go.

I recently got a TBL S24A pale body (the shorter statured body) for a Yuffie Kisaragi character, and matching this with the Superduck SDH011-A HS. As mentioned in other forums as well, the usual sized heads are too large in proportion to the TBL S24A and S25B bodies. We can certain forget about the S26A and S27B bodies which are even smaller.

Similar to the above photo, I had to thicken the neck post with plastic wrap to have a tight fit for the HS's standard neck connector. The S24A (& S25B) steel neck post ball joint is smaller than those on their usual sized bodies.

Still waiting for the QI AN TOYS DR-007-A HS as the alternative for Yuffie. I hope it is a smaller head.
    Last edited by martian; 11-21-2019 at 09:21.

Is there any way to know whether any clothes purchased will stain the Phicen? Either some test we can do, or some other way to know? I've had mine stain from a set of clothing I purchased, and I've cleaned it multiple times, even in boiling water, and then left it in salt water, but it still stains. There's no colour that comes off when cleaning, so I want to be able to test it properly...

I can't exactly use food wrap/cling film, as it is the underwear that seems to be the staining issue, I am not that good with wrapping to do this well.
    TIA guys.

You need to soak all clothing (except white, but all dark colors) in either a Vinegar/water soak, or a Rit-Dye-color stay/water bath (soak them for 12-24 hours). Then soak them again for another 12-24 hours in a soapy water bath (to get rid of the vinegar or Rit-Dye). Then rinse throughly in cold water. Set them out on a paper towel to dry. If there is any staining on the paper, repeat the process until it doesn’t stain the paper towel anymore. Unfortunately a lot of these Asian companies use shitty dyes, and don’t after treat them, so it’s up to us to do so. I’ve done this for everything and it works — including crappy pleather.

Thanks...
    Vinegar/water soak: What type of vinegar? Malt, White??? Does it matter? What consistency of water to vinegar?
    Rit ColorStay/Water: I have this, and the instructions say 1/2 a bottle with 3 gallons of water, of course, we are scaled way smaller, so is it a 1 to 10 consistency? or even should I say, 1 to 6???

Want to get this right, and can I soak all different colours in the same soak, or should I do them separately, so I don't get everything turning grey from the black stuff?

I am very new to this, and don't want to mess it up more than I already have (Phicen had some staining, managed to remove, but now super cautious).

Distilled white vinegar. I don’t really measure, but a good splash in a cereal bowl full of water. I do about the same with the Rit-Dye. I would soak different colors separately, particularly reds and blacks.

Thanks Stryker.

Quote Originally Posted by londonroadhog View Post
    Is there any way to know whether any clothes purchased will stain the Phicen? Either some test we can do, or some other way to know? I've had mine stain from a set of clothing I purchased, and I've cleaned it multiple times, even in boiling water, and then left it in salt water, but it still stains. There's no colour that comes off when cleaning, so I want to be able to test it properly...

I can't exactly use food wrap/cling film, as it is the underwear that seems to be the staining issue, I am not that good with wrapping to do this well.
    TIA guys.
    There is an old thread with useful infor on tackling this problem here: Phicen female bodies stain removal?

yes, Thanks, I did find that, and it helped with the stain removal. It also gave me some info on Dye stopping. However. Stryker was able to clarify a lot, and more... Thanks again.

A height size comparisons.
    From Left: Superduck Powergirl HS/Kumik body, YMToys YM08-D/TBL S29B Suntan body, STAR MAN MS-004/TBL S12D Suntan, VeryCool Cat Lady HS/TBL S23B Suntan body, and QI AN TOYS DR-007-A/TBL S24A Pale body, YMToys YMT09A elf HS/TBL S32A Pale body.

Last edited by martian; 11-30-2019 at 10:00.

For a sustained action pose display for Very Cool Toys VCL-1001 Catlady, I used the matching Very Cool FX01-C large bust jointed body for this. It doesn't have the full muscular shape of TBL S23B, but for the purpose of keeping this pose for long term, this is a fair functional compromise for me.

Here's a closeup for colour matching.

I saw that you have the Very cool bodies (FX02's), and the Kimi Heads Kt004 and KT005, and the Poptoys Xing Suntan. I was wondering how good the color matches are b/t them? I see that the Kt005 seems to match the very cool nicely (and the Poptoys Xing as well, from your other thread.) But I was wondering how well the KT004 matches those two bodies?(if it's not too much trouble). I am looking at the non-seamless versions, if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

And thank you for all the info, it has helped a bunch so far.

Quote Originally Posted by brittanyann View Post
    I saw that you have the Very cool bodies (FX02's), and the Kimi Heads Kt004 and KT005, and the Poptoys Xing Suntan. I was wondering how good the color matches are b/t them? I see that the Kt005 seems to match the very cool nicely (and the Poptoys Xing as well, from your other thread.) But I was wondering how well the KT004 matches those two bodies?(if it's not too much trouble). I am looking at the non-seamless versions, if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

And thank you for all the info, it has helped a bunch so far.
    Hi brittanyann, this one is specially for you!

The KT005 is a little darker than all the other Kimi heads and VC and PopToys bodies, it better matches the seamless TBL suntan tone.

PS. If you are getting the PopToys body, do note this link and do handle with care - POPTOYS 1/6 XING Series Super flexible female body Ver -92005 A
    Last edited by martian; 01-12-2020 at 04:42.

Wow, ty for the really quick reply! And the picture is perfect! Looks like the Kimi Kt004 does match the very cool very well. Just checking FX01 is the pale body, or "suntan"?

Quote Originally Posted by brittanyann View Post
    Wow, ty for the really quick reply! And the picture is perfect! Looks like the Kimi Kt004 does match the very cool very well. Just checking FX01 is the pale body, or "suntan"?
    For Very Cool bodies, FX01 is large bust. FX02 is medium bust.
    'A' is Pale white,
    'B' is 'old' suntan (if you use Phicen's 2016 suntan tone as a basis or similar to Jiaou Doll's BS/Wheat tone- although VC is lighter),
    'C' is similar to the current Phicen/TBLeague 'suntan' tone as shown in the above photo,
    'D' matches Kumik heads as shown in the very beginning of the thread.

So you would want the 'C' version, whether you choose FX01 or FX02,

The other later FX versions from VeryCool Toys, ie. FX03 to FX05, I believe, all use the large bust torso, and possibily the 'C' tone (I don't own any of those to confirm). FX05 have seamless elbows and knees, similar to the above PopToys Xing version.
    Last edited by martian; 01-12-2020 at 04:52.

Thanks for all that additional info, martian! It's really good of you to help people out like this.

Regarding the PopToys body, yes, the original 'Xing' body had some issues. To clarify, that is the semi-seamless version, which has the seamless arms and legs. There is also another 'older' PopToys body that has only visible jointed limbs -- this body was really good quality, in my experience. The only thing to bear in mind is that the visible joint version has a somewhat darker colour 'suntan' skintone -- it is perhaps more like the Hot Toys skintone colour, if I recall.

Now, there are TWO new versions of the PopToys body that are currently available for pre-order: one is a re-do of the visible jointed body, and the other is a re-do of the partially-seamless one. Both will come in the suntan and pale colours, and both will have the usual small/medium/large bust options. Whether they will match the heads shown above exactly, will have to be seen once they can be reviewed in-hand. I think they are supposed to be available sometime in March. They should be listed on ebay as the 'modified version'.

Just wanted to make note of that in case there was any confusion!
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."

I'm throwing in another vote that this thread should be stickied, the information and pictures are so useful. Thanks for all the help guys! I've decided on the KT004 head, and will be getting a body down the road for it.

These were ordered just after the new year, and then the Coronavirus outbreak in China has turned into a pandemic crisis. Shipping was delayed by 2 weeks, and everything arrived this last week.

As mentioned in another thread, the Jiaou Doll bodies have been updated with steel ball joints for the ankle and the neck joint (although the latter is not consistant, some are still plastic and some are steel).

When changing to the high heeled feet, these have to be forced-in in the correct position, and not in a backward direction. The feet joints have been tightened a lot, so that it does not drop out any more. The hand joints too I hope!

Below is the Fire Girl FG071-D HS which is Pale. The head tone and size matches the TBL S24A Pale body. And barbie outfits are a good fit for this body.

The QI AN TOYS DR-007-A HS is now on the TBL S25B suntan body, instead of the S24A pale body setup earlier.

By-Art is a new brand they recently released their T3, Jason Momoa HS with rooted hair, and now the T5, Scarlet Witch HS with supposedly voice activated lighted red eyes! This one arrived in the post yesterday. Unfortunately, and strangely, there are no instructions provided with this item that I received. I don't know if there was any provided in the 1st place. The HS looks like this:

Batteries that fit into the placement holder in the head are the LR44 (thicker) and the LR54 (thinner). I tried both, and nothing worked! I believe, in view of the Coronavirus crisis in China, Hong Kong, here, in this region and around the world, I have not been able to fine any reviews or instructions on how to light the eyes. The battery just slots in and that's it. (Do I have to tape the battery down?) Or am I using the wrong battery size? Nothing works when I make a noise! How does it work??? I have contacted the seller in Shanghai today, pending his reply.

This HS is a real suntan or Wheat tone that matches the Jiaou Doll BS (Wheat) tone. The neck socket (looks kind of shallow to me at first, but) works perfectly with the Jiaou Doll neck ball joint without any need of any additional support. The scalp is magnetically attached to the face sculpt

Below: Flash photo tonal comparison - Right: T5/JD BS (Wheat), Left: ZC Toys Scarlet Witch head (v2.0) from 2 years ago on JD KT 10D body.

Here is the T5/JD BS (Wheat) combo in costume under more natural/ambient light.
    Last edited by martian; 02-14-2020 at 18:35.

Very interesting! That Scarlet Witch headsculpt is very unique, and I'm extremely intrigued by it. Hope you can figure out how to light the eyes. I'm so sorry that things are so difficult right now with the virus, it's scary times! :{

And oh, wow, also very interesting about the new Jiaou doll with the steel neck and feet pegs. I'm certainly interested in one of those, and I'm glad you brought it to my attention as I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. : )
    "The happy ending of the fairy tale, the myth, and the divine comedy of the soul, is to be read,
    not as a contradiction, but as a transcendence of the universal tragedy of man."