One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Story about Phicen/ TB League Brand. (and Jiaou)

Miscellaneous Subject 
11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  lawlaw91 
#1 ·
Rectangle Line Triangle Font Parallel

Hi guys, I don't know if this forum had talked about these 2 brands, as they produced high detailed action figures and bodies in the industry, but why Phicen is TB League now? And why Jiaou doll is the alternative choice of Phicen? I thought it is a good human interest story about them.

While I live in Malaysia, which I always do research and read reviews in china websites. So....I decided to do a small translator for these stuff, but if it is not important, just leave the thread...:wideyes

Disclaimer: I done this thread base my research and articles I collected, please let me know if you know the details or something fake inside..

The first question for the Phicen, is why using both PHICEN name and TBLeague at the same time? This was the declaration made by Phicen company on 2017.

Roughly said that the company trademark (Phicen) was malicious registered by someone in Japan, and tried to attack Phicen by repeatedly sending complaint to the dealers. That made Phicen company unable to continue their products sales in Japan, so the company decided to use TB League instead. But, the company still using all the original assets with "PHICEN" name, including websites and official emails. That said, we still can called it Phicen.

PHICEN,Seamless toys,figure,studios,Design,Production

Brown Product Font Screenshot Software

Font Screenshot Parallel Circle Document

【========================】

Another story about Phicen and Jiaou.

It seems many of western folks doesn't have an idea to pronounce the word JIAOU. It is actually 2 words in chinese (佳偶)(read as Jia - O). This company is the current competitors to Phicen somehow, but they had a story before.

You could translate this side for more details.
PH - Powered by Discuz!

In 2014, Jiaou was developing a character in famous game in China, but lacks of technology and details sculpting, they end up to using tricks to steal the technologies from Phicen, through sending a man to Phicen, in the name of "Product development collaboration". (seems like James Bond comes out here:loony....lol)

"Jiaou cheated consumers through false advertising. The picture Jiaou has used for its packaging is not of their seamless figure body but of Phicen's seamless body. It is the same picture that was previously used to promote "JX Online 3"."

Human body Font Personal protective equipment Rectangle Packaging and labeling

Wood Circuit component Gas Tool Metalworking hand tool

But it is not movie, Phicen was immediately block out this visitor and made Jiaou gone mad. They starting to keep attacking Phicen with bad words online, even came out the patent registry war. (I am not sure if the Japan scandal was related to this, or maybe just a coincident.)

However both tricks doesn't worked with Jiaou, and the character project which Jiaou developing, was end up to terminated due to quality problems. But after that, Jiaou change their chinese name from 佳偶 to 岚(Lan), and now seems they are still tough to continue this path to produce seamless body, as an alternative choice of Phicen for consumers.

But don't get me wrong I am not going to attack Jiaou company, it just WAS a case between them, and now seem both of them is finding their way to expand their products.....IMO, every company has their way and obstacles to grow out. but yeah, both of them still chill out the whole figure industries, it is good sign for us actually.:dancing

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Copying and learning from one another has been the oldest game on Earth. How did you think the Japanese learnt to make such good and improved cars and over took the Americans in production and lower cost back in the 80s & 90s, at least in Asia. And Samsung become a serious competitor to Apple in handphones, and now Huawei. In my profession in Architecture, copying to understand the concepts is part of apprenticeship for beginners, before we begin to grow and reinterpret and develop our own design language and interpretation. Of course, corporations are always fighting over power and control to monopolise business domains.

As for seamless 1/6 bodies, whatever the corporate politics may be, I have observed a certain bias/preference amongst 1/6 kitbashers for Phicen/TBL products over the past 2 years. Given that Phicen/TBL have reached a certain advanced quality in material, structure and design, both technically and aesthetically that many recognise, and have considered the standard in 1/6 seamless figures. My only gripe for TPL/Phicen is that I don't want to be limited to only fair/light skin toned figures, since Phicen stopped producing the darker skin tones when they changed to TBLeague. Jiaou Doll appears to have started by catering the design to the Asian physic, and have only recently started a "European" physic line. They fill the gap on skin tones that Phicen/TBL does not provide, for which I am glad.

From my observations, because of the market preference for TBL, HS manufactures targeted production to TBL's limited 2 skin tones, drawing Jiaou Doll to provide an alternative tonal match for their new Euro type bodies. With these new Euro type bodies from Jiaou Doll, it appears to me (from my latest purchases), that Jiaou Doll has revised and lightened their darker tone colours slightly, particularly their Wheat and KT tones. I presume that both companies think that the major market at large prefer lighter toned figures than darker tones. Sounds familiar when I think about choice of actors and movies in hollywood, predominantly. People predominently still prefer lighter complexions than darker ones.

I beg to differ, and find it very hard to find matching dark skin tone HSs especially for the old Wheat tone from Jiaou produced in 2017. The only 2 HS that match are the Super Duck Supergirl HS and ACPlay's Slave Leia. The new 2018 Wheat tones from Jiaou Doll are a touch too light, and to me, no longer match, which is frustrating.

Jiaou Dolls quality has improved since last year, but I still get flaws that are yet to be ironed out.

By now, you can probably see that I don't care about their politics or anybody elses. I'm only interested in matching head sculpts I like to matching tonal bodies, seamless or jointed, depending on the designed character I have in mind. And I prefer the darker variety, which are becoming rarer as time goes by.

#3 ·
Copying and learning from one another has been the oldest game on Earth. How did you think the Japanese learnt to make such good and improved cars and over took the Americans in production and lower cost back in the 80s & 90s, at least in Asia. And Samsung become a serious competitor to Apple in handphones, and now Huawei. In my profession in Architecture, copying to understand the concepts is part of apprenticeship for beginners, before we begin to grow and reinterpret and develop our own design language and interpretation. Of course, corporations are always fighting over power and control to monopolise business domains.

As for seamless 1/6 bodies, whatever the corporate politics may be, I have observed a certain bias/preference amongst 1/6 kitbashers for Phicen/TBL products over the past 2 years. Given that Phicen/TBL have reached a certain advanced quality in material, structure and design, both technically and aesthetically that many recognise, and have considered the standard in 1/6 seamless figures. My only gripe for TPL/Phicen is that I don't want to be limited to only fair/light skin toned figures, since Phicen stopped producing the darker skin tones when they changed to TBLeague. Jiaou Doll appears to have started by catering the design to the Asian physic, and have only recently started a "European" physic line. They fill the gap on skin tones that Phicen/TBL does not provide, for which I am glad.

From my observations, because of the market preference for TBL, HS manufactures targeted production to TBL's limited 2 skin tones, drawing Jiaou Doll to provide an alternative tonal match for their new Euro type bodies. With these new Euro type bodies from Jiaou Doll, it appears to me (from my latest purchases), that Jiaou Doll has revised and lightened their darker tone colours slightly, particularly their Wheat and KT tones. I presume that both companies think that the major market at large prefer lighter toned figures than darker tones. Sounds familiar when I think about choice of actors and movies in hollywood, predominantly. People predominently still prefer lighter complexions than darker ones.

I beg to differ, and find it very hard to find matching dark skin tone HSs especially for the old Wheat tone from Jiaou produced in 2017. The only 2 HS that match are the Super Duck Supergirl HS and ACPlay's Slave Leia. The new 2018 Wheat tones from Jiaou Doll are a touch too light, and to me, no longer match, which is frustrating.

Jiaou Dolls quality has improved since last year, but I still get flaws that are yet to be ironed out.
I can see why Phicen keep producing fewer skin tone instead of 3 or 5~~~because things easily get confused and complicated if more choices come out, especially every single seller could have different photo shoot and lighting skill, that makes me harder to decide the skin tone to match the head, either the seller themself. But IMO Jiaou has their advantages now as they beat the prices and improving their products~~~

#6 ·
I had heard that story about Phicen/TBLeague before.. probably read it elsewhere in my attempt to understand what/why TBLeague was being used. It definitely takes years to get people to use the new name. Not to mention, Phicen was an overall more interesting name. I agree Jiao tends to color match certain figures better when kitbashing.

#8 ·
Thanks so much for the corporate stories that explain the confusing names used by the two figure manufacturers. I thought maybe TB League was a special line of figures, a subset of Phicen figures. Or, I thought two companies might have merged. The real story is more interesting.

I want to put in a good word for the Jiaou Doll. I'm not planning to buy a large number of bodies, so I've researched carefully before buying the ones I have. For my first (and still only) male, I bought the seamless male Jiaou about a year ago.

I prefer the Jiaou physique to the Phicen males. The Phicen are designed to be superheros and other exaggerated characters. I want figures that are as representative of real people as possible. I'd buy one with a beer belly if I could! The Jiaou is muscular and well build without being ridiculous. He has realistic detail in his body form. His legs are exaggeratedly long, but that's common for action figures, Barbies, and such. If I needed several males with a variety of body types, I'd have to get some Phicen, but the Jiaou would still be my favorite. I think he's better designed than any of the Phicen seamless males.

He's nearly flawless with almost invisible seams. The body is solid and sturdy with no loose joints. Although much of the skeleton is plastic, parts that take stress are steel. He has great range of motion and can hold a pose perfectly.

The Jiaou penises are ridiculously huge. I threw out all but the smallest, and it is still big. But that's a small issue. The figure has a bump in the crotch that makes tight clothes look natural without needing to attach the ad-ons. Sorry if that offends anyone. All details are important if you want realism in your photos. :wink

I got a mid toned one but like that dark bodies are available. Phicen doesn't make a body that would work with any of the several African American/black head sculpts. That's not acceptible.

I prefer the Phicen females to the Jiaou females, but I highly recommend the males. I'll take pictures to share someday!

#9 ·
Thanks so much for the corporate stories that explain the confusing names used by the two figure manufacturers. I thought maybe TB League was a special line of figures, a subset of Phicen figures. Or, I thought two companies might have merged. The real story is more interesting.

I want to put in a good word for the Jiaou Doll. I'm not planning to buy a large number of bodies, so I've researched carefully before buying the ones I have. For my first (and still only) male, I bought the seamless male Jiaou about a year ago.

I prefer the Jiaou physique to the Phicen males. The Phicen are designed to be superheros and other exaggerated characters. I want figures that are as representative of real people as possible. I'd buy one with a beer belly if I could! The Jiaou is muscular and well build without being ridiculous. He has realistic detail in his body form. His legs are exaggeratedly long, but that's common for action figures, Barbies, and such. If I needed several males with a variety of body types, I'd have to get some Phicen, but the Jiaou would still be my favorite. I think he's better designed than any of the Phicen seamless males.

He's nearly flawless with almost invisible seams. The body is solid and sturdy with no loose joints. Although much of the skeleton is plastic, parts that take stress are steel. He has great range of motion and can hold a pose perfectly.

The Jiaou penises are ridiculously huge. I threw out all but the smallest, and it is still big. But that's a small issue. The figure has a bump in the crotch that makes tight clothes look natural without needing to attach the ad-ons. Sorry if that offends anyone. All details are important if you want realism in your photos. :wink

I got a mid toned one but like that dark bodies are available. Phicen doesn't make a body that would work with any of the several African American/black head sculpts. That's not acceptible.

I prefer the Phicen females to the Jiaou females, but I highly recommend the males. I'll take pictures to share someday!
Haha I can see many people confusing with the Phicen/TB League names, that why I shared this story base my researches...I didn't try out the Jiaou doll figure yet, waiting your photos to convince me, because it is more cheaper in any means.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.