Question regarding the DML 1/4 ton 4x4 truck (Jeep).

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Question regarding the DML 1/4 ton 4x4 truck (Jeep).

Question regarding the DML 1/4 ton 4x4 truck (Jeep).

I have been doing a build on this Jeep and its going pretty well. One thing Ive been wondering is if I could retro fit one of the other brands canopy to fit this Dragon kit? Are any of the other jeeps like 21st Century , Hasbro or Formative Int. likely to adapt to do this? I would be willing to buy one of these just to get the canopy. I guess I would need to figure out how to fasten it but I have a few ideas on how to do it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Question regarding the DML 1/4 ton 4x4 truck (Jeep).

MP-38,

I don't think it would be impossible to retrofit the 21st C. Jeep top to the DML Jeep, but you're going to have to do work to make it work, so why not just scratch build it?

I've not had a 21st C. Jeep with a canvas top in a long time (almost seven years or so) but from what I remember, it was a very thick out of scale material that fit poorly.

I would just build the top frame and find a suitable OD cloth to make the top if I were you. Then you're not stuck with the 21st C. Jeep as well...

Fred

Ive been considering that option also. Its hard to want the other brand jeeps after building Dragons version because of the great detailing it comes with. Actually the model comes with workable/folding frame so it just needs the cloth canopy. Thanks for the advice Fred.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's awesome! I didn't know that the kit came with a top that could be made to work!

I gave several of the pre-built Jeeps and I believe their canvas top frames are molded in place.

And honestly, your thread made me think about modifying one myself. So I appreciate this thread even more, now!

Fred

Glad to hear that Fred. Actually if you go back and read a post from one of the members, Dubar 1 I believe, they were able to pry the piece loose and make it workable as it was only the paint that was holding it from raising. The only other thing Im desiring about this kit is I really wish I would have bought the motor when they were available a few yrs. ago. I have searched everywhere for one but they are nowhere to be found. Dragon/DML needs to offer this as a separate kit so it looks finished off when these kits are built. Cmon Dragon. For what these kits cost we really need the motor to make it a complete masterpiece.

I've been looking for one of the engine to use a "crate engine" as part of one of my dios!

There is a vendor from HK that offers a 1/6th Bantam Jeep Engine that Ive been looking at. Its quite spendy though. It comes in choice of colors. Its unkown if it fits the Dragon Willys kit. I just really want one of the Dragon Willys engines.

I finally was able to secure and aquire a 1/6th Bantam Jeep Motor that is suppose to fit in the DML Kit.
    It is being shipped and while I don't have it in my hands yet but it looks pretty nice.
    He is offering some on ebay currently at a reasonable price. Thank You Prof. Sakai.

MP38, the engine you have coming,is it one of those 3-D printed united? They look pretty good but all those straitions look like a real pain to hide,either a lot of sanding or filling and sanding.

Yeah it is a 3-D printed piece. We will see I guess. Im hoping its worth it. I just cant stand having a kit that size and no motor to look at. Not a lot of other options.

This past year I was able to aquire the Dragon Expo Willys Jeep Motor on E-Bay. While I also have a 3-D printed version, the Dragon version is definitely better. I have 2 of these DML Jeeps so now they both have a go-devil motor under the hood to make them look complete. Its hard to find the Dragon Expo version anymore but if you keep searching one comes available now and then.

The dumb thing about the DML kit and the missing engine is that on a real jeep the bottom part of the engine, mostly the oil pan is easily visible from the outside. IN THE LEAST, they could have included a bottom facade that could’ve been molded in one piece.

That is a good point about the bottom view. Another question I have is about stencils for markings on the jeep. Are there any good stencils available in 1/6th that have the invasion star for the hood and side? I would rather paint these on instead of decals. I know Fields of Armor has a couple but they are not meant for the jeep.

MP38 and chance we could get a couple of pictures of those 3D printed jeep engines? The pictures on ebay were not very clear,but they looked like there were a lot of lines that were going to need work. Thanks

Ok if you look at my updated post from this morning I have some pics of the 3-D go-devil L head motor
    next to the willys jeep kit that I built.

Ive also found a canopy top that Im going to fit onto the jeep. Since I added fasteners to the windshield when I was building it as I was hoping I would come up with a top.

I looked at the pictures you posted and for that kind of money I would expect a smoother finish,it's a good start but to make a good finished product it would take a lot of work. But your jeep is very well done!

Well, I know that there are striations lines visible but I don't think it's that bad in my opinion. There aren't many options to acquire a jeep motor. I don't understand why a vender doesn't offer a nice rendition of these as there certainly is a need for these to have in the 1/6 world. Thanks for the compliments on the willys jeep. I find that one can keep adding little details to make it insanely accurate. Plus it's alot of fun.

Armorpax offers vehicle stencil sets:

Armorpax 6th Scale Marking Stencils

And Patches of Pride offers decal sets if you have to go with decals:

PATCHES OF PRIDE - 1/6th scale Decal Sets

Hope that helps!

Fred

Thanks Fred, Ive been looking at those stencils and decals but im not that impressed with those offerings mainly because they don't specifically say for the jeep. Im contemplating the stencils from armorpax or else just making my own. The biggest challenge with that is drawing/cutting out the numbers for the hood. There is another company from germany offering decals that look pretty good but not specific for the jeep either.

You're welcome - glad you knew about them!

I bought the Stuart set in 2012 to do bumper lettering on a Jeep and it sort of worked for what I needed; so I understand what you are saying.

Fred