Miscellaneous Subject The Quality of Hot Toys' Design/Construction

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: The Quality of Hot Toys' Design/Construction

The Quality of Hot Toys' Design/Construction

I received my Hot Toys Wonder Woman training version this week which I purchased online, but didn't have time to open the package until today. The Hot Toys package was sealed and unopened when I first examined it. After releasing the figure from the package, I began changing the hands to the bow and arrow configurations, only to realize that the right hand socket/forearm section was not rigid, but floppy. On examining the socket, (pulling back the rubber) I discovered that the metal socket was broken from the arm wrist joint. I'm rather disappointed with Hot Toys for such a poor construction design for the wrist/hand socket, considering the cost of the product and for me, a jacked up price I paid for buying it online. This arm structure is comparably terrible (very weak structure) compared to TBL or Jiaou arm structures, from what I've seen from my collection.

It took a considerable amount of effort to get the figure's arms, plus bow and arrow, into this pose, as the floppy forearm/wrist kept causing the hand to pop out.

I've written to Hot Toys and I hope they will respond.
    Last edited by martian; 08-25-2018 at 08:42.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: The Quality of Hot Toys' Design/Construction

What a bummer....good luck.

It's a pity, all the more so considering how good the figure looks.
    I can't see a thing in this helmet.
    http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

TBleague joints are so loose. It's can't hold a heavy sword / equipment. While it's rarely broken but it's do not do job properly.

HT joint is way stiffer, you just need extra careful and read an instruction properly. Also you can complaint to HT is you get a figure broken unsealed.

Because I like this figure so much, below are some photos taken outdoors:

Meanwhile, I found a nude body of this model being sold on ebay, and took a look at the back construction posted by the seller. Note the seamless upper back torso area at the base of the shoulder blades.

And this is what I discovered of my figure:

I'm still waiting for positive news from the seller on the damaged right arm which he is checking from Hot toys, I presume.
    Last edited by martian; 08-31-2018 at 22:54.

Just to update and conclude that the ebay seller whom I bought my figure from, could not provide the replacement (Hot Toys does not entertain replacement parts to ebay/Taobao type purchases - that was the reply direct from Hot Toys customer service), but the ebay seller offered to compensate me for the replacement I found online. So I found a replacement WW trainer body on ebay and he compensated me for it. Thanks to wzlucky1983 from China!
    Last edited by martian; 09-20-2018 at 19:17.

I am glad to see this is working out, despite the long and tortuous path.
    PS, great outdoors photos.
    I can't see a thing in this helmet.
    http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/

It's good you found an acceptable solution. I have a VS figure with a very flimsy left wrist joint but still was able to keep it from falling out. I also agree w/ Gubernator , nice outdoor photos.

I watched a few youtube reviews on this Hot Toys Wonder Woman training version, and the takeaway from 2 were that the seamless arms and legs are made of plastic (like the barbie legs material from the 70s & 80s) and not silicon. As such, they advised that WW's arms and legs should not be posed in extreme bent position for long periods of time, as it would crease and tear. After realising this, I quickly got my WW out of the above archer pose, and straightened the right arm.

It was 2013 I think when I received my POed Hot Toys Dark Knight Catwoman. It has been one of my greatest treasures in my 1/6 collection.

Recently I have read in other posts elsewhere about collectors experiencing pleather deterioration for this figure's outfit. I made a check of mine today and discovered the same. Here are some photos.

This was the pose I had her in my book case display all these years.

And now there are signs of wear and tear in the elbow.

Also for the straightened arm and the boot,

This is really painful and disheartening!!!

I wonder if Fire toys' current 2nd chance offering is any better?
    Pre-order 1/6 Scale Fire Toys A025 Selina Anne Hathaway Action Figure

– GIANTOY action figures

Pleather doesn’t last forever — about 6-8 years, less if you live in an area that’s too hot, humid, or too cold. It’s a lose lose situation with these things, and most of these companies use the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on for a larger profit. About the only thing you can do is keep them in a temperature-controlled environment in museum poses if you want them to last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    Pleather doesn’t last forever — about 6-8 years, less if you live in an area that’s too hot, humid, or too cold. It’s a lose lose situation with these things, and most of these companies use the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on for a larger profit. About the only thing you can do is keep them in a temperature-controlled environment in museum poses if you want them to last longer.
    IT depends on the pleather. High end stuff lasts a log time. HT , by the looks of it, doesnt care and uses cheap pleather.
    I have a lot of old dragon german coats that still look great.. Selena came out , i believe, like 6 years ago or so???

There is zero excuse for companies that charge these prices to use such awful materials, and anyone who finds ways to excuse it and defends the prices in the process should save themselves some time and just take a lighter to their money. For $200+ I would absolutely insist a product be as durable, if not more, than a Power Team World Peacekeeper that retails for $15. The defenders will claim these are "not toys but collectibles" but that doesn't excuse it. If the thing breaks from intended usage, then it's not of acceptable quality.

And even if a company has good CS and fixes things, I'd much prefer the problems not be there to begin with. From reading threads here and personal experience with Sideshow stuff, these issues happen far too often with various brands, and as long as sales remain steady they have no reason to change their practices. If you knew someone was willing to pay you $200 for something that cost you $4 to make out of mediocre materials, would you change? But companies today don't want to improve, they'd rather go out of business or kill the brand totally than improve if sales drop down.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    There is zero excuse for companies that charge these prices to use such awful materials, and anyone who finds ways to excuse it and defends the prices in the process should save themselves some time and just take a lighter to their money. For $200+ I would absolutely insist a product be as durable, if not more, than a Power Team World Peacekeeper that retails for $15. The defenders will claim these are "not toys but collectibles" but that doesn't excuse it. If the thing breaks from intended usage, then it's not of acceptable quality.

And even if a company has good CS and fixes things, I'd much prefer the problems not be there to begin with. From reading threads here and personal experience with Sideshow stuff, these issues happen far too often with various brands, and as long as sales remain steady they have no reason to change their practices. If you knew someone was willing to pay you $200 for something that cost you $4 to make out of mediocre materials, would you change? But companies today don't want to improve, they'd rather go out of business or kill the brand totally than improve if sales drop down.
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head. As long as people buy, nothing’s going to change.

As DFC put it in another thread, we think we are playing with Toys, but the Toys are playing us!
    So much for collectability, especially for pleather dressed figures. Enjoy it while you can, and snap as many pictures as possible for your archive!

Pleather doesn't last, and I have recently discovered flaking of my original Hot Toys Scarlet Witch coat at the sleeve. There has been some handling from time to time when the hand fell out, and the act of fixing the hand back involved gripping the wrist/sleeve tightly. I bought it two years ago from an ebay seller at considerable cost for my custom Scarlet Witch. There will be ongoing disappointing discoveries for all pleather clothing of my 1/6 figures at some point in time.

Last edited by martian; 05-25-2020 at 16:36.

Hot Toys and Sideshow do profit from self destructing leather and rubber. It guarantees new purchases in a few years.

Unless we take a stand and start complaining collectively (something like a massively supported petition addressed to HT and SSC, along with other brands), involving the specialized press, reviewers, youtubers, buyers all across the globe, etc, nothing will ever change. It has to be war, if not, there will be nothing.

Shall we do it? Nope.

RfC
    m.

Quote Originally Posted by asgardianboy View Post
    Hot Toys and Sideshow do profit from self destructing leather and rubber. It guarantees new purchases in a few years.

Unless we take a stand and start complaining collectively (something like a massively supported petition addressed to HT and SSC, along with other brands), involving the specialized press, reviewers, youtubers, buyers all across the globe, etc, nothing will ever change. It has to be war, if not, there will be nothing.

Shall we do it? Nope.

RfC
    m.
    Same rule applies to “speaking” with one’s wallet — don’t buy, and (maybe) they’ll get the hint; but, probably not, as they’ll just continue to jack up the prices to compensate for smaller runs. And the bootlicking HT sycophants will never pass up the opportunity to have bragging rights because they have the latest HT product. Not enough people will do either yours, or this suggestion, to make a dent in Howard’s yacht fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    Same rule applies to “speaking” with one’s wallet — don’t buy, and (maybe) they’ll get the hint; but, probably not, as they’ll just continue to jack up the prices to compensate for smaller runs. And the bootlicking HT sycophants will never pass up the opportunity to have bragging rights because they have the latest HT product. Not enough people will do either yours, or this suggestion, to make a dent in Howard’s yacht fund.
    Every collector I know has a limited and a well-defined focus, and chooses very carefully what figures to put their hard earned money in. Once a collector reaches what I call the "point of saturation", their collections being complete and matching their fandom, their purchases become rare. This means that many people just can't exert any pressure on manufacturers, as you are calling for. They buy what they really need, nothing else, and they really have to buy what they buy. They only need those figures to last for a very long time. But they won't.

Producing stuff that is not meant to last, is a planet-destroying business tactics that should be punished by law. Maybe if we turned to authorities or consumer associations, this could be turned into a case. But that means work and cooperation between many. Lots of people complaining publicly and officially because of rotting figures that were purchased less than two years ago. I don't see it happening. People prefer to complain uselessly on forums, instead of taking their defective figures and their purchase tickets and putting the effort of denouncing the situation in front of the authorities, maybe even the Press, environmentalists, etc. Only then will the machine hit Howard on the head.

Otherwise we are wasting our time. And our money
    m.
    Last edited by asgardianboy; 05-26-2020 at 05:58.

If you put it that way, they will tell you that we are wasting our money on this hobby, to begin with, as there are many more useful and pressing courses to support with our finances other than this!!!!...so end of story! And mom and the wife will support their point with hands on their hips & long moody faces!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martian View Post
    If you put it that way, they will tell you that we are wasting our money on this hobby, to begin with, as there are many more useful and pressing courses to support with our finances other than this!!!!...so end of story! And mom and the wife will support their point with hands on their hips & long moody faces!!!
    I have questioned myself a great many times about the reasons why I spend so much time and money on this hobby. Problem is that this hobby is not a casual side of my life, but something that I am terribly committed to, because I have been repressing it for most of my lifetime, and now that I have the time and the money I'm very very happy to do it. I feel very relieved. It is not a passing fad.

I guess that we all have a very powerful artistic side that has to be fulfilled somehow, and if it is not, we feel unhappy and restless. Something's missing.

If this is true, and this hobby is an essential part of our beings, spending money in it would not be a mistake, but a form of fulfillment that has not been registered by psychologists up until now.

So, at least in my book, as long as you fulfil your duties as a citizen (getting a respectful job that contributes to the greater good, understanding and partaking in the politics and macroeconomics that rule us all, tax-paying, supporting good causes, knowing the history of your country and not being a ignorant and easily manipulable moron, etc), which not many people do, you are free to explore beauty within your soul to your heart's content.

But, if you do, and you spend money in figures, you want them to last, and last they must, yet they don't!!

RfC
    Last edited by asgardianboy; 05-27-2020 at 05:31.