New layout again.....?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: New layout again.....?

New layout again.....?

So the ads are bigger again now like they were when the last big change happened? Is this the way ahead?

If so, that coupled with fact you have to manually move from reply to reply on threads....it’s just dying a slow painful death, it’s going backwards.

Sorry to all those who’ve made an effort to keep OSW going, I’ve no idea what goes on behind the scenes and hats off to you for keeping it going...but for me, as someone who’s been a member for almost 15 years....it’s a mere shadow of its former self, a true giant in decline.
    "Uh uh.I know what you're thinking....."

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...word-rick.html

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: New layout again.....?

You can try to fix the one post per page issue in general settings. Select an option, then (it is recommended) select forum default and save.

WTF is all I can say, this sucks...
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
    So the ads are bigger again now like they were when the last big change happened? Is this the way ahead?
    Most likely. The new owners are a media company specializing in general pay per click and retailer sponsorship advertising along with forum subscription services like paid memberships for avatars, titles, and all that jazz. There will likely be increased monetization of the site moving forward rather than less. The technical issues will presumably get better when Lee gets the side downgraded to the older version of vbulletin they like to use. They seem to be working through the larger yojoe forums first, with OSW being the red headed stepchild of the acquisition.

Regarding issues with passwords, I wonder if this might have something to do with it. The yojoe forums were hacked and the user database compromised prior to the acquisition. Users there were asked to reset their passwords. We are currently unable to do that here but it might explain the issues with password resets. I would advise everyone here to reset their passwords when they can as OSW and Yojoe were hosted on the same VPS server and one can assume OSW was compromised as well. That should be a priority fix by VS IMHO.
    Last edited by AdamC; 03-29-2018 at 17:56.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

Ads are the coin of the website realm--and my guess is the new owners didn't buy this place because of their love for anything 1/6 ..but more likely the traffic to OSW--kind of a tribute to our love for the place, you might say. My guess-- if they could get the same traffic without bothering with the actual site--OSW would not even exist anymore...
    -----------------------------------------
    "It's not how many times you get knocked down that counts,
    it's how many times you get back up."

Everything is still working acceptably well for me as long as I use Chrome on my phone. A tiny pop-up comes up from the bottom occasionally- annoying, but easy to deal with.

Your advice to change passwords in light of the other site getting hacked, is prudent. I personally am reluctant to make any changes as this is the only platform that allows me to visit the site. Even Firefox gets screwed up with the site now.

Really not liking the giant ads.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Interestingly I don't think ads work anymore. I haven't clicked, actively looked at or engaged with an ad in years. I know that this world now seems to run on ads but, really. Ads do nothing but actively get in the way of what I want to do. If anything they turn me off the product the are meant to get me interested in. Sadly once an activity becomes saturated I simply drift away. I noted the other day that during a V8 Super car race the in-car footage had added video adds to the cars centre consul. These larger ad strips do nothing but make me think that there must be some very dumb folks out there if they click on any of this rubbish. Otherwise there are a lot of companies wasting a ton of money for no benefit.
    These thoughts courtesy of a madman found chained to his workbench hidden deep within his subterranean Factory of Devious Inventions.
    No notice should be taken of his ramblings whatsoever.

I belong to a survey site where they ask about various subjects from food to products . I think they hate me when they ask about adverts. Classic answer "Do you think more about the product after seeing the advert" my reply " I found it amusing but I have no clue what the product was or does" or " when the advert comes on tv I go and make a cuppa or get my book out until the programme starts!"

I agree that actually adverts put me off the product service etc. Rather than make me want to look it up. Example at the bottom of this page is an ad for pet insurance if I needed it I'd Google for it not go to the ad site and what's more I wouldn't click on the 'sponsored on the Google search

Hi everyone,

I would like to apologize for the ongoing site errors on the forum and would like to make it up to you.

Please read my thread here and respond to it with your concerns. Please let me make it right.
    SITE ISSUES, please read

Li

Changing the format always complicates browsing. I don't lke it. I'll have to get used to it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior49 View Post
    Changing the format always complicates browsing. I don't lke it. I'll have to get used to it again...
    can you elaborate on the format change? assume that I'm new to the forum and you're telling me how this originally looks like.

Li

Quote Originally Posted by vs-admin View Post
    can you elaborate on the format change? assume that I'm new to the forum and you're telling me how this originally looks like.

Li
    Oh! Well, recently there was a change in format, now it changed again these past days. The ads were on one side, now they're on the other one. I use an ipad, so adjusting the size changed....it's those things. Sorry I can't be more specific. I think this is the fourth change.

can you take a screen shot of these ads moving around? From what I can tell, they're all to the top and right of the forum.

Li

Quote Originally Posted by vs-admin View Post
    can you take a screen shot of these ads moving around? From what I can tell, they're all to the top and right of the forum.

Li
    Thanks, Li. Yes, now they're on the right side. Before they were on the left side and they were smaller, so I could enlarge the page and accomodate it to my ipad.

It's a matter of getting used to the new format, but it's those things that many of us dislike.

How long ago were they on the left side?

I don't think they were ever on the left when we received the site.

Li

Hey everyone this is Jimster. I had to make a new profile because my Jimster account wont log in. It's been a month now and I tried to send a concern message to the addmins. I got nothing in return. So my new OSW name is native. Wondering if this was a issue if the format changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Hey everyone this is Jimster. I had to make a new profile because my Jimster account wont log in. It's been a month now and I tried to send a concern message to the addmins. I got nothing in return. So my new OSW name is native. Wondering if this was a issue if the format changed?
    Hey there,

send me a PM and I'll recover your account for you.

lee

so, here is a question. (forgive me if it has been covered) Why is there only 2 posts per thread/page? A thread will have 6 replies, but 3 pages?
    On a big thread, I know I don't feel like back paging through a weeks worth of posts. (I have only been able to get a certain amount of time lately, stupid work )
    Hope this changes, I love this site!
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

I have always been able to login on my mobile phone at any wifi connection. Why can't I do that now?

My desktop and laptop computers have been permanently logged in so far, so I have not faced a problem. But my mobile phone cannot login into my account since last weekend. Admin please help.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
    so, here is a question. (forgive me if it has been covered) Why is there only 2 posts per thread/page? A thread will have 6 replies, but 3 pages?
    On a big thread, I know I don't feel like back paging through a weeks worth of posts. (I have only been able to get a certain amount of time lately, stupid work )
    Hope this changes, I love this site!
    You can fix this if you go to your General Settings in the "My Settings" field and go to "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" option.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun85 View Post
    You can fix this if you go to your General Settings in the "My Settings" field and go to "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" option.
    Thanks my friend that did the trick. Back to normal now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun85 View Post
    Thank you!
    It was time consuming reading and clicking to read a 5 page thread that was only 5 posts. But this fixed it!
    How it switched to default settings on it's own will be a mystery for the ages. Maybe it was Skynet.

Now if someone can tell me why my notifications say I have 2,015 unread PMs......
    "Grant us wisdom from Thy mind, courage from Thine heart, strength from Thine arm, and protection by Thine hand. It is for Thee that we do battle, and to Thee belongs the victor's crown. For Thine is the kingdom, & the power & glory forever, Amen." SF Prayer