One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

New Owners For OneSixthWarriors.com

19K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  The Great Shaggy 
#1 ·
OneSixthWarriors.com has been sold to VerticalScope.

In the short term, there will be no changes to the site. Mike and his team will continue to moderate the forums, and post news. Jim will continue to represent the site for advertising and marketing.

Over time, VS is looking to bring new features and services to the site and to the community. There will be more announcements about that down the road.

Welcome, VerticalScope!

#2 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Li, I am a community manager for Verticalscope Inc, I work with a small team that will continue to manage the webmaster duties for OneSixthWarriors.com.

We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It's our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us it's paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What am I here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact; you all contributed to building the strong foundation the site was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

Looking forward to working with you all.

Thanks,

Li

#9 ·
Are you also " onesixthwarriors" collectors?!
Do you kitbash or collectors of boxes?
Favourite brand?
Will you post work ?
I'm not very good with the terminology so I'm gonna say no but a lot of people in the company do. I do however build Gundam Models from the Bandai Namco model building kits if that makes me more or less relatable? Sorry, I don't collect a lot, there's not a lot of space where I live, so it's just Gundams, some funkos, takara tomy diecast cars and amiibos.

I'm going to have to say "no" OR they are having considerably greater problems than just OSW. Having worked in this field for WAY to long, I consider myself one of the more tech-patient people out there. Unfortunately, the amount of time this has been broken is like 20 years in computer time. Each day it goes on not only affects user interest, but impacts the advertisers as well. If they begin to bail, and the forum becomes non profitable, we are the ones who lose out. It's frustrating waiting for things to get better and finding out MORE users are having problems, rather than less.
Hey there,

I'm aware of the issues going on. We're still (unfortunately) working on getting the site running as it did when it was on Jim's servers. Every time I try to get something fixed on the site, other issues pop up.

I would appreciate it very much if you can report the cases here for me so that I can follow up/replicate and report up to our system admins on the verticalscope end. Along with OSW, we are also managing figures.com and yojoe.com which is also facing many forum related problems, though not the same since you both are on different vb platforms.

Lee

#6 ·
If you get a service for free it means that you're not the customer, you're the product.

I'm guessing that the new owners see 1/6th collectors as predominantly working/middle class collectors with some disposable income, so a reasonable demographic for advertising.

Hopefully they'll keep the site software up to date, and not spam too much.

#7 ·
I wonder if the new owners (asides from their tech staff) are aware of the current/ongoing site issues and either aware, concerned, or don't a give care about it?

#8 ·
I'm going to have to say "no" OR they are having considerably greater problems than just OSW. Having worked in this field for WAY to long, I consider myself one of the more tech-patient people out there. Unfortunately, the amount of time this has been broken is like 20 years in computer time. Each day it goes on not only affects user interest, but impacts the advertisers as well. If they begin to bail, and the forum becomes non profitable, we are the ones who lose out. It's frustrating waiting for things to get better and finding out MORE users are having problems, rather than less.

#10 ·
Hi Lee,

Here is a list of errors users have been complaining about (others may append further items):

1. Login issues: inability to use saved password, necessitating the use of a temporary password, and then inability to save a new regular password.
2. Complete lockout from the forum -- some users apparently could not get even a temporary password, including our admin Mike (pukingdog).
3. System not saving preferences: lost avatars, reset settings for social media (when 0 appears in the boxes due to system, we get links to social media under our user names, whether or not we have social media).
4. Sometimes uploaded images in the albums on the site are not possible to open normally -- error message about invalid attachment.
5. Some users have experienced a problem where every single post in a thread appears on a new page.
6. At times the Notification indicator shows 2015 or 2016 or 2017 unread messages, which is both confusing and untrue.
7. Database errors: where the requested new page within the site fails to load, or we get error message about a post not being posted, although in fact it is posted.

There are workarounds for items 4-7 above, but all of these problems have occurred to many users and with some frequency. Items 1-3 seem even more critical.

We will all appreciate it if the forum interface would resume something closer to normal and reliable operation.

#13 ·
Hi Lee,

Here is a list of errors users have been complaining about (others may append further items):

1. Login issues: inability to use saved password, necessitating the use of a temporary password, and then inability to save a new regular password. lemme get to the bottom of this, I noticed this earlier as well TICKET: 2997891

2. Complete lockout from the forum -- some users apparently could not get even a temporary password, including our admin Mike (pukingdog). Can you send me their usernames? I'll send them a password reset.

3. System not saving preferences: lost avatars, reset settings for social media (when 0 appears in the boxes due to system, we get links to social media under our user names, whether or not we have social media). where is the social media setting located?

4. Sometimes uploaded images in the albums on the site are not possible to open normally -- error message about invalid attachment.
can you give me a link to one that doesn't work?

5. Some users have experienced a problem where every single post in a thread appears on a new page.
I had this happen to me as well, can you go here: http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
and go to Number of Posts to Show Per Page: and select any of the options, save and then set it back to default?
I've been told to do this and see how long that lasts, if it comes back to 1 posts per page, I'll escalate them and inform them again.

6. At times the Notification indicator shows 2015 or 2016 or 2017 unread messages, which is both confusing and untrue.
same issue happening to me. I'm working on getting an answer there too. TICKET: 2968571

7. Database errors: where the requested new page within the site fails to load, or we get error message about a post not being posted, although in fact it is posted. so those database errors should also throw a mySQL error in the yellow error box. can you post that in here next time and I'll send it to our tech and Jason Mitchell to take a look at. we're working with him as well

There are workarounds for items 4-7 above, but all of these problems have occurred to many users and with some frequency. Items 1-3 seem even more critical.

We will all appreciate it if the forum interface would resume something closer to normal and reliable operation.
Hi there,

I'm aware of many of the issues happening and I'm pushing for them to get fixed as well. I'll keep updating the issues to the techs as they come by. Please keep on reporting these cases.

Lee

#11 ·
I reached out to Jim Dolan again to follow up since our last correspondence. I did so as a member because I do give a damn about the OSW. I don't know if it will do or mean anything asides from me trying . . . or I'm like an ice cube on top of an incinerator.

IMHO . . . the priority and right thing to do is to restore proper admin access to the OSW admins (i.e. pukingdog, crusader1xxx, etc.) so they can proper perform the necessary administrative functions like they did prior to the forum moving over to VerticalScope. In addition, any/all members with access issues (i.e. cannot properly change/reset passwords, etc.) need to be cared for.

I guess the nuances in forum database/software, etc. is challenging. That's all I post/say on that.

Posting/saying the admins are frustrated is an understatement and I guess the members who are still here are carrying on with what they can, etc.

#15 · (Edited)
The board was previously generating profits through retailer sponsorship (ie paid advertising) as well as google ads and amazon/ebay/etc affiliate commissions through ads on the site. Given the previous infrastructure and volunteer nature of everything else it would have been able to cover costs without the need from member support.

I am not sure if Lee has had a chance to integrate the new T&Cs, but you can read them here and there are relevant sections covering privacy and other topics such as the copyright of all materials posted to the site.

#14 ·
Well all the above problems are still occurring and in some cases repeatedly to the same members so please sort it out, WE ARE LOSING VERY VALUABLE MEMBERS!!!

#17 ·
In the middle of my second reset of settings, using DFCs original tips. Still unable to reset password and this time the message counter did not reset.
Limiting my posts to positive comments on others posts.
Not posting any new content.
Losing interest fast.
Thanks.

#21 ·
Is that why you just said such nice things on my Vulture thread? :cry:wink

PD sent me a password reset email, it expired before I did anything with it. I just asked for another and got in with the password it provided, but, I can't reset it. When I try to it says the password doesn't match the current one, which it of course wouldn't as I just changed it! I too had the one reply per page thing but have fixed that, but will it stay fixed!?
Welcome back Roger! I hope you stay!!

#18 · (Edited)
It just happened again for me, at 17:57 eastern standard time. I was responding to a post and when it posted noticed my avatar was gone. I checked my notifications and, sure enough, it showed 2,016 unread messages. And the silly social media instant messaging links reappeared under the screenname, with the 0s in two of the fields under the Edit Profile settings. Also, my editor reverted from standard to basic. I fixed all of these up, but this is probably the fifth time I've had to do this.

UPDATE: A few hours later, the system logged me off, forced me to get a new temporary password, and I had to redo all the fixes above (notifications, avatar, soc media instant message links, editor preference).

#20 ·
PD sent me a password reset email, it expired before I did anything with it. I just asked for another and got in with the password it provided, but, I can't reset it. When I try to it says the password doesn't match the current one, which it of course wouldn't as I just changed it! I too had the one reply per page thing but have fixed that, but will it stay fixed!?

#26 ·
I have Login issues: inability to use saved password, necessitating the use of a temporary password, and then inability to save a new regular password.

I had Li Reset and changed it but it kicked me out again. I tried to email him a few more times but got no response. I have not been coming here as often due to this issue. This has been going on for at least 2 months.

Quite frustrating.

#30 ·
Change is good, but all to often experiences resistance. I am pleased to see how quickly you respond to members issues and that you seem genuinely interested to working with the somewhat intolerant types and look forward to improvements and resolution of ongoing issues. A welcome change indeed.

Sixth...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.