(Science) Fiction, Fantasy, & Adventure ROM The Spaceknight (?)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: ROM The Spaceknight (?)

ROM The Spaceknight (?)

Okay, it's been a while folks, but the pengbuzz is back with another custom.

This time, I dug back to an old favorite: ROM, the spaceknight. Recently, IDW brought him back, and while the armor is cool and all, it wasn't the original comic or the toy. But there's parts of all three I like (original toy, 1979-85 comic and IDW reboot), so I amalgamated all that into one...er...spaceknight with my own touches.

Note: the eyes are blue instead of red: since our apartment is small, my wife has to see it on display and was freaked out by the red. So, to keep peace, I redid every light in blue. It's non-negotiable, and I have no place to hide this one from her.

So with that:

Proto in masking tape:
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0026-jpg
    Front:
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0028-jpg
    Back:
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0029-jpg
    Closeup of armor
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0030-jpg
    Head closeup:
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0031-jpg

I didn't want this to be "too spacey", so I took a chance and did some "engraving work" on the armor with a sharpie. I'm not sure how I feel on it right now; I overcoated it with pearl to kill it down but it's not looking right. I'll probably go in with a different metallic and paint in all the scrollwork and whatnot to make it less noticeable but still present.

After all,[I]he is a knight![I/]

I also did a "human head" of Rom as he appeared before armor in the comic; the donor head (and body) was a Toy Biz 1/6 Aragon from LoTR:
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0033-jpg
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0032-jpg

(Amazing what a rotary tool shave and some paint can do!)
    Stay tuned folks...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: ROM The Spaceknight (?)

Great Figure and sculpting technic !

Very intriguing character, I will have to check into this. Nicely executed, and congrats on "keeping peace" in the realm.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice. Very creative.

This is a nice figure and an excellent interpretation. I think it's fun to bring some of the older concepts to life in 1/6 scale. I sometimes wonder what a "Batfink and Karate" duo might look like as 1/6 figures.

Blast from the past! My favorite was issue 70 with ROM, Scanner, Seeker & Unam.
    C'mon it's not ROM without the red eyes! You've got to use some red LED lights... to be turned on ONLY when the wife is out...
    "If symptoms persist... insult your doctor."

Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by rollotomasi View Post
    Blast from the past! My favorite was issue 70 with ROM, Scanner, Seeker & Unam.
    C'mon it's not ROM without the red eyes! You've got to use some red LED lights... to be turned on ONLY when the wife is out...
    Yeah, the 70's fig was a big influence on this one. As for the eyes.... sigh. But the Analyzer, Translator and Neutralizer are coming up!

Great stuff!

Love it! I still have my old ROM figure somewhere lol
    "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
    Trade feedback:
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ghlight=spyder

Pretty far removed from pop culture, I reckon, as I have no idea what the character's from...

...BUT...

...that's really nice work and I like it a lot. Interesting technique on the armor. Makes me wish I'd thought of it.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Pretty far removed from pop culture, I reckon, as I have no idea what the character's from...

...BUT...

...that's really nice work and I like it a lot. Interesting technique on the armor. Makes me wish I'd thought of it.
    Great work... funnily enough i've been looking at the Rom figures on Ebay recently!

Dabrab –.Rom had a Marvel comic back in the late 70's/early 80's (apparently James Gunn wanted to add him into GoTG 2) and his figure was part of the Action Man range over here in the UK. Recently he's had something of a resurgence, with a comic by IDW, and a SDCC exclusive action figure and a Funko Pop figure.

Thanks folks for the kind words!

UPDATE: got some more work done. I had to kill down the scrollwork on the armor; it was giving me a headache! lol I'll probably be trying to use a slightly different metallic shade as mentioned before to put it back in:

ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0056-jpg

Rocker pods:
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0057-jpg

Neutralizer (I used a bit from all 3 versions along with an idea or two of my own):
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0058-jpg
    ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0059-jpg

Rom trying out his neutralizer:

ROM The Spaceknight (?)-105_0055-jpg

Hope to have more work done soon folks. Stay tuned...

Decided to have a little fun with this... good thing I can change eye color in Photoshop!

Last edited by pengbuzz; 09-26-2017 at 17:06.

Excellent idea and good work on the build! Just a scratch armour building tip, start collecting lots of plastic bits and bobs like shampoo bottles, lids etc.. I find them invaluable for making solid smooth armour as the more types of bottles etc.. you have the more choices in angles and curves you get, look for the unusually shaped ones too. Oh yeah and chuck the wife out, they take up way too much room for your 1/6 collection in a small flat!
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Thanks shovelchop; admittedly, I wanted the crinkly uneven texture on this, as if the armor were a flexible layer of "metal cloth" over the man. But I'm planning on using your suggestion for my next project!

UPDATE: After 3 years, I went back to this project and decided to do something of a rebuild:

ROM The Spaceknight (?)-100_0776-jpg

This time, I went more with the original comic book version, but took a few hints from the 1970's toy version.