My low budget Star Wars bashes

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My low budget Star Wars bashes

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

My low budget Star Wars bashes

My Mrs finally sewed the sleeves for Kylo Ren the other day (I cant sew very well so entrusted that task to her and she delivered) so now he is finished. I decided to snap a couple crappy pics of the 3 bashes so far:

IMG_1926 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_1930 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Darth Vader is a Crazy Toys Vader (£20) with Hasbro boots (£3 ish value) and a KO NBA body (£10 ish) plus I added the chain to cape (free). Total cost roughly £33.

IMG_1927 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Kylo Ren is the Disney Store Kylo ren figure clothes and accessories, KO NBA body, HT Thor bootfeet, Hasbro trousers, Hasbro Black series diecast helmet (modified), Inflames gloved hands from Killing Fields figure plus sewn sleeves and collar made using the Hasbro Darth Maul cloak. £40-£50 roughly total cost. Would have been cheaper if I used the Disney Kylo that was £5 but still if I re-made it using that one then the price would be even lower. Good reason to snap up such figures on clearance!

IMG_1924 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Rey is the Disney Store figures clothes and accessories (some tea staining) placed on the Phicen/TBL body and hands. Head is a third party Rey head from Ebay. Forgot how much I paid for the parts but IIRC in total somewhere around about £50-£60 total.

IMG_1931 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_1933 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

All of them are still in need of some finishing touches such as repainting some of the parts on rey and adding weathering etc but kinda pretty much done.

Also a comparison of Kylo's (left to right): Disney store electronic talking 14 inch figure, modified Disney store Kylo, stock Disney Store Kylo, Hasbro Titan Heroes Kylo and the leftover/unused parts of the Disney Store Kylo figure (I call him Eduardo Ren lol)

IMG_1921 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    Last edited by jaztermareal; 09-22-2017 at 09:25. Reason: typo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: My low budget Star Wars bashes

From what I can see, all these are excellent! Who needs overpriced boxed figures if one has the ingenuity, skill, and wife, to do this? Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    From what I can see, all these are excellent! Who needs overpriced boxed figures if one has the ingenuity, skill, and wife, to do this? Great job!
    Thanks! I am quite happy that I can have all 3 of these figures for less than 1 HT version. I hope Disney Store continue their great Star Wars and Marvel 10-12 inch figure lines. Fingers crossed Crazy Toys make some more good quality low budget figures too.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I will keep my fingers crossed about that too. No personal experience with Crazy Toys yet, but what I have seen you (and another) do with it is most impressive. Three high-end figures for the price of one HT is certainly a different type of achievement. And that is exactly how I felt about my Bandai Stormtroopers with Hasbro helmets and foam armpit fill. And at $14+60 each, these too was 1/3 of the usual price for the HT figure. Anyway, they salute their equally cheap but perfectly good brothers (and sisters) in arms...

These are great. I'm a big fan of low budget bashes. ( like it doesn't show from my work ). I think you have a nice group going. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I am actually waiting on a cheap 1:6 Deathtrooper helmet to finish my low budget Deathtrooper, My fingers are crossed that the Hasbro electronic one coming soon will have the right size helmet. Fingers crossed.

@GubernatorFan: I love my Bandai troopers too! I have yet to mod them (waiting on clearance price Hasbro electronic stormtroopers) but I plan to copy your recipe on my 3 (I picked them up for about £33 ish each while in Japan, so again 3 troopers for less than 1 HT! I hope Bandai do more 1:6 troopers in future.

I think the regular price for the Hasbro electronic Stormtroopers was about $25; then they apparently stopped selling very much so they reduced them to $14. I got 5 total (just for the helmets, which I transferred to the Bandai troopers), and 4 of these were for the reduced price. I do not know who sells them in the UK and for how much, but I imagine it would be a similar progression in price. BTW, you might not want to wait too long, because they disappeared at least in the store where I got them (and I don't think every last one had been purchased). They can still be found online, but again the prices and options in the UK may vary, unless you want to accommodate expensive international shipping.
    From what I've seen Bandai is coming up with more 1/6 Star Wars products... as far as troopers are concerned, I think I saw something about a Beach Trooper. Let's hope the head isn't oversized this time (that was the only real problem with their Stormtroopers).

In the UK the electronic troopers tend to be priced between £30 and £40. I have seen some reduced to £20-£25 but I am hoping they get £10-£15. At that price I will buy them for helmets and blasters. I will go check prices again soon as last time I checked them was a couple weeks ago.

Bandai Shoretrooper would be awesome, as would Deathtroopers. Fingers crossed the helmets are correct size as you say

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    In the UK the electronic troopers tend to be priced between £30 and £40. I have seen some reduced to £20-£25 but I am hoping they get £10-£15. At that price I will buy them for helmets and blasters. I will go check prices again soon as last time I checked them was a couple weeks ago.
    Whoa! That is rather much compared to what we got here... No wonder you are waiting. But at least (at present) you only have three to outfit. It will still be a lot more affordable than HT troopers (or even their helmets!). By the way, the blasters are ok, not great. Bandai's blasters are superior in both sculpting and selection.

Whoa! That is rather much compared to what we got here... No wonder you are waiting. But at least (at present) you only have three to outfit. It will still be a lot more affordable than HT troopers (or even their helmets!). By the way, the blasters are ok, not great. Bandai's blasters are superior in both sculpting and selection.
    Yeah. Maybe one day I will get lucky and the Hasbro troopers will go as low as £5. I will stockpile them in that situation ( I can dream...)

The Bandai blasters are great but I want to make an armoury for my troopers, so every blaster counts! Even the low detail Hasbro ones

Great job on Vader, where did you get him for £20!? I do fancy one now. Probably said most of this on FB. Be a while before I'm ready, but, I could go for it sometime.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Great job on Vader, where did you get him for £20!? I do fancy one now. Probably said most of this on FB. Be a while before I'm ready, but, I could go for it sometime.CHEERS!
    friend in China bought it on Taobao for me, though I think it won't be drastically more via Aliexpress perhaps. Add a body and some hasbro boots /shin armour and you should be good to go for under £50

You do some amazing stuff on budgets. Always like to see the results.

Those look great. You have done a very nice job on those. I too have a Bandai stormtrooper and can vouch for its quality at the price it is. I have done the foam shoulder inserts on mine, but I kept the original helmet.

I am currently working on putting together a Zam Wesell figure from Episode II using the Hasbro figure as a base I hope. It is in the post at the moment so will have a better idea when it arrives how to proceed. I have the Hasbro Dengar and Zuchuss figures in my Bounty Hunter collection at the moment. Zuckuss is not bad, but what I can achieve with the Dengar figure is limited so I will probably replace him with the SideShow version due out the early part of next year. I am on the lookout too for a Greedo at a decent price but the SideShow ones seem to be going for around £300 at the moment. The hasbro one would need more work than I want to put in at the moment to get it to where I am happy with it lol.

Can't wait to see what you produce next

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
    Those look great. You have done a very nice job on those. I too have a Bandai stormtrooper and can vouch for its quality at the price it is. I have done the foam shoulder inserts on mine, but I kept the original helmet.

I am currently working on putting together a Zam Wesell figure from Episode II using the Hasbro figure as a base I hope. It is in the post at the moment so will have a better idea when it arrives how to proceed. I have the Hasbro Dengar and Zuchuss figures in my Bounty Hunter collection at the moment. Zuckuss is not bad, but what I can achieve with the Dengar figure is limited so I will probably replace him with the SideShow version due out the early part of next year. I am on the lookout too for a Greedo at a decent price but the SideShow ones seem to be going for around £300 at the moment. The hasbro one would need more work than I want to put in at the moment to get it to where I am happy with it lol.

Can't wait to see what you produce next

Paul
    I have the old Hasbro/Kenner Dengar awaiting customisation. I need to sort out a suitable head then can start on it. I hope to do the same with the Hasbro Jango Fett too as it was pretty cool already so I can imagine it being great after some modding

I agree, these look fantastic.
    "Be sad! Be glad! Be neither! Seek, or shun!
    Thou hast no reason why! Thou canst have none;
    Thy being's being is a contradiction." S.T. Coleridge

I have the old Hasbro/Kenner Dengar awaiting customisation. I need to sort out a suitable head then can start on it. I hope to do the same with the Hasbro Jango Fett too as it was pretty cool already so I can imagine it being great after some modding
    Yeah the head is the big problem I have found with the Dengar figure. I don't have the time patients or skills to customise one these days. Its mainly finding a similar looking head and adding the scaring to the face I think. Perhaps someone will break up the new sideshow when it is released next year or someone may produce cloned heads who knows. The sideshow sculpt looks to be superb.
    I did repaint the backpack and add some washes and dry brushing on mine to try and help the back pack elements look more like separate items, and did some other detail painting too but I know myself well enough to know that when the sideshow one is released I will always look at this one and think it could be better.
    I think the best of the Hasbro figures I have is actually Zuckuss. I have done some detail painting, and given the exposed plastic a blast of flat clear as the surface seemed too shiny and now he doesn't look half bad, to the extent that I don't think I will bother replacing him at any point even though there is a sideshow release of him scheduled too.

I was lucky enough to pick up a Sideshow Jango Fett for just over £100 on eBay. There are still bargain priced sideshow/HT Star Wars figures out there if you are prepared to wait for one to come up.

Paul

friend in China bought it on Taobao for me, though I think it won't be drastically more via Aliexpress perhaps. Add a body and some hasbro boots /shin armour and you should be good to go for under £50
    Which Hasbro Vader was it? I've seen several on eBay, all pretty cheap, but want to get the right one.

CHEERS!

Awesome bashes even on a budget - very nicely done and looks great too so thanks for sharing!

Which Hasbro Vader was it? I've seen several on eBay, all pretty cheap, but want to get the right one.

CHEERS!
    it was the ROTS Anakin/Vader from 2005 ish (not the more recent Anakin to Vader shampoo bottle figure. All you need is the shin armour/boots (nice shiny soft plastic (I cut the shin plates off keeping the moulded straps then put them on a pair of Hasbro boots to make it look better).

Found youtube review of it: Toy Review: Star Wars ROTS Ultimate Villain Anakin to Darth Vader (12 inch) / Hasbro 2005 - YouTube

jaztermareal - I came across what looked like a new Hasbro electronic sixth-scale Death Trooper at one of the local stores (they were selling it alongside one of those new hideous red things from the next SW movie). It (Death Trooper) was very well sculpted, except of course for the dismal articulation (though one of the elbows did bend, the other not), and I thought I should point it out since you are looking to make another low-cost kitbash with that. The helmeted head on it seemed excellent; whether the body was salvageable I don't know, although the more advanced kitbashers can probably do wonders with it. I did not pick it up, because I am not attached to anything outside the Original Trilogy enough to collect or kitbash (though I did get one Death Trooper and one Beach Trooper from HT); hence the vagueness of the details.
    I am pretty sure it was this:
    Star Wars EP8 Force Link Imperial Death Trooper 12 Inch Electronic Figure | eBay

jaztermareal - I came across what looked like a new Hasbro electronic sixth-scale Death Trooper at one of the local stores (they were selling it alongside one of those new hideous red things from the next SW movie). It (Death Trooper) was very well sculpted, except of course for the dismal articulation (though one of the elbows did bend, the other not), and I thought I should point it out since you are looking to make another low-cost kitbash with that. The helmeted head on it seemed excellent; whether the body was salvageable I don't know, although the more advanced kitbashers can probably do wonders with it. I did not pick it up, because I am not attached to anything outside the Original Trilogy enough to collect or kitbash (though I did get one Death Trooper and one Beach Trooper from HT); hence the vagueness of the details.
    I am pretty sure it was this:
    Star Wars EP8 Force Link Imperial Death Trooper 12 Inch Electronic Figure | eBay
    thanks for the heads up, I didn't think it was released yet! Yeah, I am hoping the helmet on it is correctly scaled. If it is then WABBA-LUBBA-DUB-DUB! Now to wait for it to hit UK shores

CHEERS!
    I found a couple old Kenner Vader boots you could try using for shin armours, just need some gloss coats to make them shiny. LMK

The helmet looked really good. That's why I did a double take and investigated. It did not strike me as undersized, although I didn't have other good (I should really say high-end) 1/6 scale figures around for comparison. Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that these helmets are supposed to look rather small (perhaps like those worn like the red guards from ROTJ).

The helmet looked really good. That's why I did a double take and investigated. It did not strike me as undersized, although I didn't have other good (I should really say high-end) 1/6 scale figures around for comparison. Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that these helmets are supposed to look rather small (perhaps like those worn like the red guards from ROTJ).
    My fingers are crossed! so long as they are sized between the Titan Hero/Disney Store Troopers helmet (too small) and the Black Series Diecast Helmet (too big) then it will be just right!

My fingers are crossed! so long as they are sized between the Titan Hero/Disney Store Troopers helmet (too small) and the Black Series Diecast Helmet (too big) then it will be just right!
    Again, I do not know enough to compare, nor did I think to look for these for a comparison. It looked good. If the Hasbro electronic stormtrooper is anything to go by, the helmet would be almost exactly like the Hot Toys one (with the Hasbro stormtroopers it was in fact a tiny smidgen smaller, but still works great in this scale, as you can see from the hybrid stormtrooper photo I included in an earlier response).
    The Diecast helmets seem to be a bit hit-and-miss (the stormtrooper one is squished and has strange lenses, so I gave up on trying to use it even before looking at the scale), but may you are right that they are (in general or in particular) oversized.

it was the ROTS Anakin/Vader from 2005 ish (not the more recent Anakin to Vader shampoo bottle figure. All you need is the shin armour/boots (nice shiny soft plastic (I cut the shin plates off keeping the moulded straps then put them on a pair of Hasbro boots to make it look better).

Found youtube review of it: Toy Review: Star Wars ROTS Ultimate Villain Anakin to Darth Vader (12 inch) / Hasbro 2005 - YouTube
    Oh, not one of the ones I was looking at, but, one of them might work out. Did just see an SSC Vader body for £20, that's worth a shot.

CHEERS!

Oh, not one of the ones I was looking at, but, one of them might work out. Did just see an SSC Vader body for £20, that's worth a shot.

CHEERS!
    Yeah, so Crazy Toys Vader + tall body (e.g. the sideshow one you mentioned if tall enough) and Hasbro Vader boots/shin armours from the Vader figure I mentioned and you will be good to go methinks

I found a couple old Kenner Vader boots you could try using for shin armours, just need some gloss coats to make them shiny. LMK
    I'll bear them in mind.

CHEERS!

Yeah, so Crazy Toys Vader + tall body (e.g. the sideshow one you mentioned if tall enough) and Hasbro Vader boots/shin armours from the Vader figure I mentioned and you will be good to go methinks
    Could be, we'll see....

CHEERS!