One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

My low budget Star Wars bashes

13K views 56 replies 12 participants last post by  Dr.Mind 
#1 · (Edited)
My Mrs finally sewed the sleeves for Kylo Ren the other day (I cant sew very well so entrusted that task to her and she delivered) so now he is finished. I decided to snap a couple crappy pics of the 3 bashes so far:

IMG_1926 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_1930 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Darth Vader is a Crazy Toys Vader (£20) with Hasbro boots (£3 ish value) and a KO NBA body (£10 ish) plus I added the chain to cape (free). Total cost roughly £33.

IMG_1927 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Kylo Ren is the Disney Store Kylo ren figure clothes and accessories, KO NBA body, HT Thor bootfeet, Hasbro trousers, Hasbro Black series diecast helmet (modified), Inflames gloved hands from Killing Fields figure plus sewn sleeves and collar made using the Hasbro Darth Maul cloak. £40-£50 roughly total cost. Would have been cheaper if I used the Disney Kylo that was £5 but still if I re-made it using that one then the price would be even lower. Good reason to snap up such figures on clearance!

IMG_1924 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Rey is the Disney Store figures clothes and accessories (some tea staining) placed on the Phicen/TBL body and hands. Head is a third party Rey head from Ebay. Forgot how much I paid for the parts but IIRC in total somewhere around about £50-£60 total.

IMG_1931 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_1933 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

All of them are still in need of some finishing touches such as repainting some of the parts on rey and adding weathering etc but kinda pretty much done.

Also a comparison of Kylo's (left to right): Disney store electronic talking 14 inch figure, modified Disney store Kylo, stock Disney Store Kylo, Hasbro Titan Heroes Kylo and the leftover/unused parts of the Disney Store Kylo figure (I call him Eduardo Ren lol)

IMG_1921 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! I am quite happy that I can have all 3 of these figures for less than 1 HT version. I hope Disney Store continue their great Star Wars and Marvel 10-12 inch figure lines. Fingers crossed Crazy Toys make some more good quality low budget figures too.

#4 ·
I will keep my fingers crossed about that too. No personal experience with Crazy Toys yet, but what I have seen you (and another) do with it is most impressive. Three high-end figures for the price of one HT is certainly a different type of achievement. And that is exactly how I felt about my Bandai Stormtroopers with Hasbro helmets and foam armpit fill. And at $14+60 each, these too was 1/3 of the usual price for the HT figure. Anyway, they salute their equally cheap but perfectly good brothers (and sisters) in arms...

#6 ·
Thanks! I am actually waiting on a cheap 1:6 Deathtrooper helmet to finish my low budget Deathtrooper, My fingers are crossed that the Hasbro electronic one coming soon will have the right size helmet. Fingers crossed.

@GubernatorFan: I love my Bandai troopers too! I have yet to mod them (waiting on clearance price Hasbro electronic stormtroopers) but I plan to copy your recipe on my 3 (I picked them up for about £33 ish each while in Japan, so again 3 troopers for less than 1 HT! I hope Bandai do more 1:6 troopers in future.

#7 ·
I think the regular price for the Hasbro electronic Stormtroopers was about $25; then they apparently stopped selling very much so they reduced them to $14. I got 5 total (just for the helmets, which I transferred to the Bandai troopers), and 4 of these were for the reduced price. I do not know who sells them in the UK and for how much, but I imagine it would be a similar progression in price. BTW, you might not want to wait too long, because they disappeared at least in the store where I got them (and I don't think every last one had been purchased). They can still be found online, but again the prices and options in the UK may vary, unless you want to accommodate expensive international shipping.
From what I've seen Bandai is coming up with more 1/6 Star Wars products... as far as troopers are concerned, I think I saw something about a Beach Trooper. Let's hope the head isn't oversized this time (that was the only real problem with their Stormtroopers).

#8 ·
In the UK the electronic troopers tend to be priced between £30 and £40. I have seen some reduced to £20-£25 but I am hoping they get £10-£15. At that price I will buy them for helmets and blasters. I will go check prices again soon as last time I checked them was a couple weeks ago.

Bandai Shoretrooper would be awesome, as would Deathtroopers. Fingers crossed the helmets are correct size as you say :)

#9 ·
In the UK the electronic troopers tend to be priced between £30 and £40. I have seen some reduced to £20-£25 but I am hoping they get £10-£15. At that price I will buy them for helmets and blasters. I will go check prices again soon as last time I checked them was a couple weeks ago.
Whoa! That is rather much compared to what we got here... No wonder you are waiting. But at least (at present) you only have three to outfit. It will still be a lot more affordable than HT troopers (or even their helmets!). By the way, the blasters are ok, not great. Bandai's blasters are superior in both sculpting and selection.

#12 ·
Great job on Vader, where did you get him for £20!? I do fancy one now. Probably said most of this on FB. Be a while before I'm ready, but, I could go for it sometime.CHEERS!
friend in China bought it on Taobao for me, though I think it won't be drastically more via Aliexpress perhaps. Add a body and some hasbro boots /shin armour and you should be good to go for under £50

#14 ·
Those look great. You have done a very nice job on those. I too have a Bandai stormtrooper and can vouch for its quality at the price it is. I have done the foam shoulder inserts on mine, but I kept the original helmet.

I am currently working on putting together a Zam Wesell figure from Episode II using the Hasbro figure as a base I hope. It is in the post at the moment so will have a better idea when it arrives how to proceed. I have the Hasbro Dengar and Zuchuss figures in my Bounty Hunter collection at the moment. Zuckuss is not bad, but what I can achieve with the Dengar figure is limited so I will probably replace him with the SideShow version due out the early part of next year. I am on the lookout too for a Greedo at a decent price but the SideShow ones seem to be going for around £300 at the moment. The hasbro one would need more work than I want to put in at the moment to get it to where I am happy with it lol.

Can't wait to see what you produce next

Paul

#15 ·
I have the old Hasbro/Kenner Dengar awaiting customisation. I need to sort out a suitable head then can start on it. I hope to do the same with the Hasbro Jango Fett too as it was pretty cool already so I can imagine it being great after some modding

#21 ·
jaztermareal - I came across what looked like a new Hasbro electronic sixth-scale Death Trooper at one of the local stores (they were selling it alongside one of those new hideous red things from the next SW movie). It (Death Trooper) was very well sculpted, except of course for the dismal articulation (though one of the elbows did bend, the other not), and I thought I should point it out since you are looking to make another low-cost kitbash with that. The helmeted head on it seemed excellent; whether the body was salvageable I don't know, although the more advanced kitbashers can probably do wonders with it. I did not pick it up, because I am not attached to anything outside the Original Trilogy enough to collect or kitbash (though I did get one Death Trooper and one Beach Trooper from HT); hence the vagueness of the details.
I am pretty sure it was this:
Star Wars EP8 Force Link Imperial Death Trooper 12 Inch Electronic Figure | eBay

#24 ·
The helmet looked really good. That's why I did a double take and investigated. It did not strike me as undersized, although I didn't have other good (I should really say high-end) 1/6 scale figures around for comparison. Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that these helmets are supposed to look rather small (perhaps like those worn like the red guards from ROTJ).

#33 ·
Sideshow Vader parts are often very good -- I preferred some of them to the Hot Toys version when I was making a hybrid Vader. And the boots and shinguards were among the Sideshow pieces I did use. I know that Sideshow produced at least two different Vader figures over the years, so I am not sure whether the boots and shinguards were identical in both versions. But if you can find and afford them, they ought to be very useful for a Vader kitbash.

#46 ·
I do have some Star Wars projects to add to this thread soon. Oh, and BTW, the new electronic Death Trooper has a properly scaled helmet! I have put together a little comparison of the various low budget Death Trooper options below.
Left to right: Hasbro Black Series Titanium Diecast helmet, Hasbro electronic figure, Hasbro Titan heroes, Disney Store Elite Premium.
IMG_2133 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_2134 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

The Titanium diecast one is, as we already know, about 1:5 scale, while the Titan heroes and Disney Elite premium ones are 1:7. The new electronic Death Trooper figure is bang in the middle at 1:6, making it the first low budget Death Trooper helmet.

TBS diecast:
IMG_2136 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Elite Premium:
IMG_2139 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Titan Heroes:
IMG_2138 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Electronic:
IMG_2137 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Additionally, a comparison of low budget troopers:
IMG_2140 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
Titan Heroes, electronic, Premium Elite (customised to be taller)

Here is also a potential source of bigger torso armour if planing to turn the Disney Elite Premium figure into a a larger figure: The Shore Trooper.
IMG_2142 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

The Shore Trooper Titan Hero figure has a larger chest and back plate, and this chest armour is the same type that death troopers wear.

Here is the electronic Death Trooper helmet on my customised Disney Elite Premium figure:
IMG_2141 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Then just for fun: electronic figure with Titanium diecast helmet and then with Medicom Shadow Trooper helmet.
IMG_2146 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
IMG_2149 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

If you intend to build low budget Death Troopers, I suggest you bulk buy the Elite Premium Death trooper, electronic Death trooper and Titan Hero Shore trooper figures whenever you see them cheap/on clearance then mix/match the parts when building your troopers.
The leftover parts can of course still be used for other projects afterward (you could attach the Premium Elite head to the electronic figure body with a small amount of modding and end up with a decent background figure or something for the kids to play with if need be).

#47 ·
Adding more comparison pics in daylight since my second Disney Elite Death Trooper arrived today so I can now properly compare them for reference purposes:
IMG_2155 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
IMG_2156 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
IMG_2157 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
IMG_2158 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
IMG_2159 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

This is how the figures look straight out of the box. Plenty to work with from the Disney Store figure and the electronic figure is the only source outside of HT for the helmet in 1:6.

More comparison pics of the helmets in daylight:
IMG_2160 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
IMG_2161 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.